Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by cb » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 04:59:28

I always thought that it was a NO-BRAINER that it was better to buy a cable
modem rather than renting from Comcast. Since Comcast charges about $5 to
$10 dollars for renting the modem, I decided to buy one, in fact, the exact
same one they were renting to me, an SB3100 by General Instruments, though
it is probably Motorola by now. I bought the SB3100 thru Ebay. Well, a year
and half has elapsed and everything has been good until last week when I
lost my connection and it turns out that my cable modem died, or at least
I'm told that it died. Now, here's where buying became a disadvantage
because

1) If a Comcast technician comes out and determines that it is the cable
modem that has died and since I own the modem, they are supposedly going to
charge me $49.95 for the diagnosis. If I was renting the modem, NO CHARGE.

2) If in fact the cable modem has died, I now have to shell out the money to
buy a new cable modem while if it were rented, Comcast would replace it NO
CHARGE.

Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not seem
that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare occurence
and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no problems,
there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the modem
could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment. What
do you guys think?

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by ftran99 » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:12:51

Quote:> I always thought that it was a NO-BRAINER that it was better to buy a
cable
> modem rather than renting from Comcast. Since Comcast charges about $5 to
> $10 dollars for renting the modem, I decided to buy one, in fact, the
exact
> same one they were renting to me, an SB3100 by General Instruments, though
> it is probably Motorola by now. I bought the SB3100 thru Ebay. Well, a
year
> and half has elapsed and everything has been good until last week when I
> lost my connection and it turns out that my cable modem died, or at least
> I'm told that it died. Now, here's where buying became a disadvantage
> because

> 1) If a Comcast technician comes out and determines that it is the cable
> modem that has died and since I own the modem, they are supposedly going
> charge me $49.95 for the diagnosis. If I was renting the modem, NO CHARGE.

> 2) If in fact the cable modem has died, I now have to shell out the money
> buy a new cable modem while if it were rented, Comcast would replace it NO
> CHARGE.

> Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not seem
> that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare
occurence
> and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no problems,
> there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the
modem
> could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment.
What
> do you guys think?

If you had bought the modem from an authorized retailer, it would have been
under warranty and you would not have had to pay for a new modem.  Lately it
seems that Best Buy and Circuit City have been practically giving away the
modem so it seem to make more sense to buy.

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by Larr » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:22:06

If you own your own modem, no matter what is wrong, even if the wires
down the street are laying in the gutter, YOUR modem is at fault......

Rental modems delete the "blame game".  It's ALL their fault!

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by Andrew Rossman » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:20:24

[This followup was posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

says...

Quote:> I always thought that it was a NO-BRAINER that it was better to buy a cable
> modem rather than renting from Comcast. Since Comcast charges about $5 to
> $10 dollars for renting the modem, I decided to buy one, in fact, the exact
> same one they were renting to me, an SB3100 by General Instruments, though
> it is probably Motorola by now. I bought the SB3100 thru Ebay. Well, a year
> and half has elapsed and everything has been good until last week when I
> lost my connection and it turns out that my cable modem died, or at least
> I'm told that it died. Now, here's where buying became a disadvantage
> because

> 1) If a Comcast technician comes out and determines that it is the cable
> modem that has died and since I own the modem, they are supposedly going to
> charge me $49.95 for the diagnosis. If I was renting the modem, NO CHARGE.

> 2) If in fact the cable modem has died, I now have to shell out the money to
> buy a new cable modem while if it were rented, Comcast would replace it NO
> CHARGE.

> Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not seem
> that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare occurence
> and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no problems,
> there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the modem
> could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment. What
> do you guys think?

  Currently, the rental charge is US$3/month. I'm not certain how much new
ones cost, but I assume it would take several years to break even.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by PapaSur » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:33:39

$3.00 a month  is what I am paying to rent. I am glad so far since my RCA
died and they replaced it with an SB4200.

Quote:> I always thought that it was a NO-BRAINER that it was better to buy a
cable
> modem rather than renting from Comcast. Since Comcast charges about $5 to
> $10 dollars for renting the modem, I decided to buy one, in fact, the
exact
> same one they were renting to me, an SB3100 by General Instruments, though
> it is probably Motorola by now. I bought the SB3100 thru Ebay. Well, a
year
> and half has elapsed and everything has been good until last week when I
> lost my connection and it turns out that my cable modem died, or at least
> I'm told that it died. Now, here's where buying became a disadvantage
> because

> 1) If a Comcast technician comes out and determines that it is the cable
> modem that has died and since I own the modem, they are supposedly going
> charge me $49.95 for the diagnosis. If I was renting the modem, NO CHARGE.

> 2) If in fact the cable modem has died, I now have to shell out the money
> buy a new cable modem while if it were rented, Comcast would replace it NO
> CHARGE.

> Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not seem
> that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare
occurence
> and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no problems,
> there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the
modem
> could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment.
What
> do you guys think?

---

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by JJ » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:44:52

Yep.  That's why I initially rented my modem.  I live in a small development
with 11 houses - I knew I was the first one to get a cable modem.  Nothing
works well in this development - modem speeds are max. 21K, no DSL, and
Verizon had a tough time getting ISDN to work at my house.  So I had no
confidence that Internet access over cable would work.

It turned out I was right.  I rented the modem, but I wired it myself.  It
didn't work.  Comcast came out and couldn't blame the modem, so they blamed
my wiring.  They ran a "home run" from the modem to the outside - no luck.
It turned out it was a problem out on a pole near the road.  (I got the home
run wiring for free.)

I have a feeling that if I would have bought the modem myself, I'd still be
on the phone with them a year later, listening to them blame the modem.

Quote:> If you own your own modem, no matter what is wrong, even if the wires

Post by Ed Wensell II » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:47:45

> Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not seem
> that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare occurence
> and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no problems,
> there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the modem
> could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment. What
> do you guys think?

The same argument was debated years ago back when you had to have a
separate cable TV box. Buying your own could potentially be cheaper in
the long run. However, if that bought box died or became obsolete, you
would have to pay again causing the savings to quickly vanish. It became
a moot point as CATV was built into TVs.

Actually, became moot only to basic subs. Premium or PPV subs still need
the box, AFAICT. Oh, and it's becoming a debate again as digital is
rolled out (waiting for an affordable digital cable ready TV/VDR).

So here we are 2003 making the same debate on data cablemodems. A rented
modem that performs flawlessly will cost more than a bought one in the
long run. However, I consider the $3/mo rental I pay a very small price
to protect the modem from damage and obsolesence. I've had one modem
fry, literally. It was replace the next day, no additional fees, no
questions asked.

My tune will probably change the day I can pickup a modem for $20
WITHOUT a rebate. Although my luck is that will probably the same day
the local cable office announces they will be upgrading to DOCSIS vX.Y
which is not supported by the $20 modem nor is upgradeable to that
level. I'll find the new DOCSIS vX.Y modem costs $300 WITH new
subscriber rebates (which I am not a new sub). At which point I'll just
keep paying my $3/mo (or whatever they increase it to cover the upgrade)
and wait for the tech to roll by with my new modem.

--
Ed Wensell III - E-mail address is valid if you know the right bits to
drop.

There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olsen, President & founder of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by ec » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 02:21:02

It's 10 a month in Cox/San Diego.

> [This followup was posted to comp.dcom.modems.cable and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]

> says...
> > I always thought that it was a NO-BRAINER that it was better to buy a
cable
> > modem rather than renting from Comcast. Since Comcast charges about $5
> > $10 dollars for renting the modem, I decided to buy one, in fact, the
exact
> > same one they were renting to me, an SB3100 by General Instruments,
though
> > it is probably Motorola by now. I bought the SB3100 thru Ebay. Well, a
year
> > and half has elapsed and everything has been good until last week when I
> > lost my connection and it turns out that my cable modem died, or at
least
> > I'm told that it died. Now, here's where buying became a disadvantage
> > because

> > 1) If a Comcast technician comes out and determines that it is the cable
> > modem that has died and since I own the modem, they are supposedly going
> > charge me $49.95 for the diagnosis. If I was renting the modem, NO
CHARGE.

> > 2) If in fact the cable modem has died, I now have to shell out the
money to
> > buy a new cable modem while if it were rented, Comcast would replace it
NO
> > CHARGE.

> > Though I'm still convinced that buying is the best option, it may not
seem
> > that way when the cable modem dies on you. This is probably a rare
occurence
> > and so for most people who have bought their own and have had no
problems,
> > there was no doubt about the decision. On the other hand, renting the
modem
> > could be looked at an insurance against failure of the said equipment.
What
> > do you guys think?

>   Currently, the rental charge is US$3/month. I'm not certain how much new
> ones cost, but I assume it would take several years to break even.

> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

Buying vs Renting Cable Modem With Comcast

Post by BudMa » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:23:44

The modem rental here is $3 a month.  I can't justify purchasing one at that
price.  If I rent and it goes bad they send me another one.  If, somehow
Comcast blocks my router sharing my internet connection then it back to DSL
I go.  The modem gets turned in and I pull out my old Westell DSL modem when
I resubscribe with Verizon.

Post by jt.. » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:59:09

: It's 10 a month in Cox/San Diego.

Mine used to be included in a tv/internet package but was
recently changed to $5/month.  A roommate had an old
surfboard so we turned in the cable company's modem and
hooked up the freebie.  Probably would have paid the $5/
month if we didn't already have a modem kicking around.

Jamie

1. Buying vs. renting DOCSIS cable modem

My cable provider now has Internet service available.  They offer the 3COM
cable modem, model 2490, for $10/month rental, or to purchase for $250.  I
have tried to do Internet searches on what modems are available, without
much luck.  I haven't been able to find a better price than $250 for the
3COM modem.  Since I am uncertain, I decided I could rent the modem for a
while, until I make a decision.  This is when I discovered something odd

if I opt to buy a modem after renting, I would have to pay $250 and end up
owning the modem that I had been paying mothly rental for.  If I were to buy
the modem when I sign up, I would pay $250 and own the modem brand new,
avoiding any rental fees.  This sounds like a rip off to me (and possibly
illegal) to charge "brand new" price for something that has been rented out.
I would have thought that I would least be able to turn in the rental modem

suggested I buy a modem from a third party to avoid getting ripped off.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1.  has anyone else encountered this?
2.  does anyone know of other/better sources/prices for the 3COM 2490 cable
modem?
3.  does anyone know of other DOCSIS compliant, reliable cable modems?

I appreciate any help.  Please e-mail your response to me at

Mike

2. SalesCart Plugin for FP2000 .... could be yours!

3. RENT OR BUY CABLE MODEM

4. WPINET.DLL still broken in FP15

5. Buy or Rent a Cable Modem

6. !! SMS Administrator Console Problem !!

7. Cable modem buy or rent

8. Virus Detection

9. Cable modem buy or rent]

10. Rent or Buy Cable Modem?

11. Cablemodem: Rent vs. Buy, then which brand?

12. comcast fee hike $3.00 only if you rent the modem?

13. buy/rent modem?