direct connection for VG-Anylan??

Post by stefan_koes.. » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

please don't hit me too hard if this question doesn't fit into this
newsgroup or has been ask 100 times!

Is it possible to connect to PC's via VG-Anylan-cards (HP) directly
without a hub in between?
If so, please tell me which cables have to be switched in order to do
so.

Thanks in advance... Stefan

Post by m.. » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible to connect to PC's via VG-Anylan-cards (HP) directly
> without a hub in between?

No, not possible.  Ethernet hubs are basically repeaters;  100VG hubs
are fairly "intelligent" and active.

byron

1. 100Base-T or VG-AnyLan to 10BaseT switches

If your network consists of 24 users or so, then you might consider using
2 or 3 100VG/100Base-T cards in the server to a single 8-12 port hub for
each NIC.  These hubs can be 12 port 10Base-T hubs with a 100Mbit uplink
port.  In this way, you acutally increase the bandwidth to your server to
2 or 300 Mbps.  The problem is these switches are relatively expensive, but
a really fast solution, with each user getting dedicated 10Mbps, and three
segments to the fileserver.

A thought, not necessarily your best solution, but some variant might be
worthy of consideration.

Have Fun!

-----------------------tear off here------------------------------

Team OS/2                                         Using OS/2 Warp 3.0 PPP

2. Screen Resolution

3. 100 mbps switches , 400 mbps VG-AnyLAN help...

4. Is ASP.NET all about web forms ?

5. uplink 100baseT - VG-anylan

6. Def_Icons on WB

7. Trouble with HP VG Anylan 2585B Deskdirect Adapter

8. visio 5 professional and oracle 8

9. Perspectives and technical details VG AnyLan <-> Fast Ethernet

10. 100 VG/ANYLAN & WIN95