cable modem sharing and ftp server?

Post by trava » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I was wondering if I am the client to a server with my ip starting with
192.blah.blah and the server is the cable modem ip of 24.blah.blah can I run
an FTP server off the client?  I am using Windows 98 SE. thanks for any
help.

Post by DynHO » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I was wondering if I am the client to a server with my ip starting with
>192.blah.blah and the server is the cable modem ip of 24.blah.blah can I run
>an FTP server off the client?  I am using Windows 98 SE. thanks for any
>help.

It's depending on what type of server software you are running. But in
general, you could by using NAT (for Sygate) or port mapping proxy
(for Wingate). All you need to do is to set up a port on the server to
map it to the 192.blah.blah.blah on the FTP port 21 (or whatever).
Then anyone who connect to your FTP server on the port you set up will
be mapped to the client computer.

Cheers,
Static Host Name for Dynamic IP Address: www.dynhost.com

cable modem sharing and ftp server?

Post by pg » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I was wondering if I am the client to a server with my ip starting with
> 192.blah.blah and the server is the cable modem ip of 24.blah.blah can I
run
> an FTP server off the client?  I am using Windows 98 SE. thanks for any
> help.

Win98SE will map FTP  to a client machine.  You need to edit the registry to
do this .

BTW - you may want to check that cable modem AUP......

PG