T-1 cabling question...

Post by Matt » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:15:41

My work just had a T-1 installed.  Ameritech brought the line into a demarc
box outside.  It is our job now to run the inside wiring.  From what I've
read and been told you need to use STP Cat5 cabling.  The cable run is going
to be like 450 ft. from the demarc to the closet.  I've also heard you need
to use an RJ-48C jack.  Can someone tell me if this is all correct, and
where I can find these supplies?  Finding STP cabling is tough, and I'm not
familiar with RJ-48 jacks.  Thanks alot.

T-1 cabling question...

Post by Macy Hallo » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:16:42

+---------------

Quote:> My work just had a T-1 installed.  Ameritech brought the line into a demarc
> box outside.  It is our job now to run the inside wiring.  From what I've
> read and been told you need to use STP Cat5 cabling.  The cable run is going
> to be like 450 ft. from the demarc to the closet.  I've also heard you need
> to use an RJ-48C jack.  Can someone tell me if this is all correct, and
> where I can find these supplies?  Finding STP cabling is tough, and I'm not
> familiar with RJ-48 jacks.  Thanks alot.

Strict interpretation of industry specs would call for a two pair STP cable.

If you are in a noisy RF environment, I'd suggest you use STP and ground
one end of the STP cable.  Example: MIG welders, other HF emitting
equipment or AM radion station in use in the vicinity.

However, it's very common to use conventional Cat 5 for this purpose.
Crosstalk between the transmit (tx) and receive (rx) pair is a concern.
While a single cat 5 cable will probably work OK, for best results, pull
two Cat 5 cables, and use one pair out of each for tx and rx. The idea
is to keep all tx signals in one cable, all rx signals in the other.

The common distance limit for theDSX-1 signal from your smart jack is 660
feet.  Be sure to option your CSU/DSU for correct operation at this distance.
In some cases, the smart jack itself may also have to be configured for
this distance as well, default signal strength settings are for usually
for 330 ft, not the extended distance of 660 ft.
--
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

T-1 cabling question...

Post by James Knot » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:39:29

> If you are in a noisy RF environment, I'd suggest you use STP and ground
> one end of the STP cable.

There's really not much point in using shielded cable, if the shield's not
grounded at one point (it doesn't have to be the end).

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

T-1 cabling question...

Post by Reed » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:06:13

snip

Quote:>  I've also heard you need
> to use an RJ-48C jack.  Can someone tell me if this is all correct, and
> where I can find these supplies?  Finding STP cabling is tough, and I'm not
> familiar with RJ-48 jacks.  Thanks alot.

RJ-48C is a common T-1 plug/jack interface. It is physically the
same 8 pin modular plug/jack as an RJ-45, just pinned different.
see http://www.shout.net/~wildixon/telecom/rj/rj48c.html for
detail

--reed

1. T-1 Cabling Question

Does a T-1 cable need to be run directly from the T-1 interface on a
Wireless Radio or Smart Jack to a PBX on a home run CAT3/5 cable, or can it
be run on open pairs of a 25-pair cable?

My situation is that a 25-pair cable is in place already that runs from an
attic in a house to a basement.  There is really no way to get a home run
cable from that attic to the basement without going outside the house, which
we don't want to do.

We would like to install the Western Multiplex radio in the upstairs, as
close to the antenna that will be on the roof as possible.  The T-1
interface from the radio will then need to be run to the basement, where the
phone system is located.

Thanks,

Brett Gibson
Gibson Teldata, Inc.

2. Nokia 3360 to IPAQ 3150

3. ISDN / T-1 cabling question

4. Thread Newbie question

5. Channelized T-1 Question - Frame and Internet on same T-1?

6. Newbie question: Including spyLib in application code (or project)

7. Question on T-1 cabling structures, Help!

8. JOB: Post-Doc in Model Checking Techniques for Multi-Agent Systems

9. T-1 and fractional T-1 lab

10. 2 T-1 to 1/2 Rate T-1 Transcoders

11. Any way to get better than T-1 speed on T-1 local loop?

12. Any way to get better than T-1 speed on a T-1 local loop?

13. Frame Relay and Frac T-1 on same cable