No MaxMTU settings found on Win98--What to do

No MaxMTU settings found on Win98--What to do

Post by CP » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I was trying to apply the MTU/MSS/DefRecieveWindow/DefTTl settings to
get better transmission speeds and so I opened my System Registry.

I went to the relevant sections
(HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\00xx
and *\Services\VxD\MSTCP). I looked at all the subkeys that were
relevant to TCP and geuss what?

Not a single one made any mention of MaxMTU, MaxMSS, Def.Recieve
Window or Default TTL. Does Windows98 have some default value for
these or not need them? If there were a default, I assume it would be
in the registry.

I really want to increase my speeds and want to know what would happen
if I added the relevant values (increased of course) to the
appropriate subkeys. Some of the subkeys ave multiple entries for TCP;
which one do I use?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,

CPR

No MaxMTU settings found on Win98--What to do

Post by Darrell Daniel » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

You have to add them, you should only have one entry referencing tcp/ip, the
others should be Netbui, IPX/SPX etc., here is a link to a program that does
it for you:

http://members.home.net/jahoo/page3.htm
(thanks to Jahoo)
download TcpAdjust, install it, run it, select "max" and "save" or adjust the
values to whatever you want, reboot and the keys will be there, or you can
add them manually, I did some testing with win98, I had heard it would be
self tuning etc. but these changes made the same increase in speed as they
did in win95, Darrell

1. Is MaxMTU fix neccisary under Win98

Can someone please tell me if the MaxMTU fix is still necesary after
upgrading to Win98? Any help is appreciated since after upgrading I have
been experiencing slower downloads and more frequent disconnects from my
ISP.

Sincerely,
      Jay Winston

P.S. Have noticed the CRC errors as reported by Sysmon have increasesd
dramatically after the update.

2. read TOS floppy on DOS machine ?

3. Thoughts on MaxMTU settings?

4. How to explain this result with bchdeco?

5. MaxMTU settings

6. Urgent Requirement :- Java Developer

7. Setting Win95 MaxMTU to 576 is unnecessary due to PMTU?

8. Mixing C-Mex S function and plain C

9. MaxMTU setting for ISDN??

10. What should MaxMTU setting be with P75 Internect Connection

11. default MaxMtu settings in Registry??

12. Optimal MaxMTU settings for MediaOne

13. MaxMTU and RWin settings for cable modems?