UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by Jennifer Moor » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:34:19

hi people

subject line says it... anyone know a UK source for flexible drill bits?

I just found out from a book that there _are_ such things, and one would
be immensely useful (for channelling down through plaster behind a
skirting board without having to remove it - say 12" to 18" length bit,
quarter inch diameter), but the only suppliers I've found on the web so
far are in the US.  Plus I rang the big local tool shop today and the
person who answered had never even heard of them, so I'm wondering if
they're actually available in the UK at all or if I'll have to do US
mail order.

Thanks in advance for clues!

--
      Jennifer      * * * *  original music:  www.single-bass.co.uk *
                    * *  everything else:  www.uncharted-worlds.org *

UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by Macy Hallo » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:58:00

+---------------

Quote:> ...anyone know a UK source for flexible drill bits?

Traditionally, these were made in the US by Diversabit and sold
through alarm distributors and a few electrical and telecom
supply houses. Several US websites sell them as well, such as
sandman.com

Greenlee now sells the same type of flex bit. I have seen these
stocked in most Home Depot stores as well as Graybar.

These are a useful tool. In the UK, I'd try an alarm equipment
distributor or a telecom supply house.

--
    Macy M. Hallock, Jr. N8OBG 216.241.7166 fax:216.241.7522
 APK Net, Inc. 1621 Euclid Ave. Suite 1230 Cleveland, OH 44115 USA

UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by D R » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:29:20

Quote:> subject line says it... anyone know a UK source for flexible drill bits?

> I just found out from a book that there _are_ such things, and one would
> be immensely useful (for channelling down through plaster behind a
> skirting board without having to remove it - say 12" to 18" length bit,
> quarter inch diameter), but the only suppliers I've found on the web so
> far are in the US.  Plus I rang the big local tool shop today and the
> person who answered had never even heard of them, so I'm wondering if
> they're actually available in the UK at all or if I'll have to do US
> mail order.

Hmmm. Talk about differences across the water. Here in the US most any
telco supplier has them setting out on display. Lowes now stocks them along
with extensions for those times when you need 12' or so.

Over here in the US Lowes and Home Depot are gigantic hardware/lumber/home
improvement stores that have taken over the market for do-it-yourself and
small contractors. A typical store is maybe 5 to 10 acres under roof.
(Sorry, don't know the hectar (sp?) conversion.)

UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by Jack » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:46:09

Quote:> hi people

> subject line says it... anyone know a UK source for flexible drill bits?

> I just found out from a book that there _are_ such things, and one would
> be immensely useful (for channelling down through plaster behind a
> skirting board without having to remove it - say 12" to 18" length bit,
> quarter inch diameter), but the only suppliers I've found on the web so
> far are in the US.  Plus I rang the big local tool shop today and the
> person who answered had never even heard of them, so I'm wondering if
> they're actually available in the UK at all or if I'll have to do US
> mail order.

Don't think I've ever seen them in the UK.  You might consider a flexible
drive shaft, which I've seen in the larger DIY warehouses.  There's one for
the Dremel multi-purpose tool, for example.

UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by Jennifer Moor » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 22:57:56

re flexible drill bits etc

Quote:>Hmmm. Talk about differences across the water.

indeed :-)

Quote:>Here in the US most any telco supplier has them setting out on display.
>Lowes now stocks them along with extensions for those times when you
>need 12' or so.

would those be the Canadian Flexi drills?  or other brands mentioned?
(e.g. Diversabit, Greenlee)
Somewhere, and I've forgotten where, I think someone said the Flexi
drills were better quality than some of the others... any comments?

Quote:>Over here in the US Lowes and Home Depot are gigantic
>hardware/lumber/home improvement stores that have taken over the market
>for do-it-yourself and small contractors. A typical store is maybe 5 to
>10 acres under roof. (Sorry, don't know the hectar (sp?) conversion.)

don't worry, I don't know what a hectare is anyway :-)

I probably ought to know what an acre is, 'cause I know that is a common
old unit for land here (e.g. farms & gardens), but myself I would
probably think in square metres nowadays...

--
      Jennifer      * * * *  original music:  www.single-bass.co.uk *
                    * *  everything else:  www.uncharted-worlds.org *
                    * * * * * * intuition . imagination . integrity *
                    * * * * * * * * *  love counts more than gender *

UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by Chris » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:46:53

The easy way to visualise it of course is that an acre is the same as an
area 1 Furlong long by 1 Chain wide!!

Chris O
_____________

Quote:> I probably ought to know what an acre is, 'cause I know that is a common

Post by James Knot » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:45:40

> The easy way to visualise it of course is that an acre is the same as an
> area 1 Furlong long by 1 Chain wide!!

But isn't that obvious?  ;-)

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

UK source for flexible drill bits?

Post by Jennifer Moor » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:40:17

re flexi bits

Quote:>Don't think I've ever seen them in the UK.  You might consider a flexible
>drive shaft, which I've seen in the larger DIY warehouses.  There's one for
>the Dremel multi-purpose tool, for example.

hmm, if I'm imagining that accurately then I don't think it would work
on this particular thing I have in mind, as I need the whole length to
be pretty thin - I'm hoping to get hold of a 1/4" flexi bit - and I
imagine the join between bit and shaft would have to be wider than that.
Tell me if I'm wrong :-)

--
      Jennifer      * * * *  original music:  www.single-bass.co.uk *
                    * *  everything else:  www.uncharted-worlds.org *
                    * * * * * * intuition . imagination . integrity *
                    * * * * * * * * *  love counts more than gender *

1. Flexible drill bit guide/positioning

I ran into a slight problem with one of my flexible drill bits today.  After
drilling through the bottom plate from a 2nd floor outlet hole, I attempted
to drill through the top plate of the floor below.  Twice, the bit ended up
coming out through the wall or ceiling beneath me (as opposed to remaining
in the wall, or coming out of the wall or ceiling on the opposite side of
the wall from where I was standing).

Anyone have any recommendations or guides (store bought, home made, or
other) for better positioning or guiding of the bit to avoid these "exit
wounds"?

2. Help: Installing applications

3. Sources of UK dial-up time sources

4. FS: Apple IIc

5. x2 code compared ( US vs UK ) on UK lines to UK ISP

6. PATCH for tr(1v) to fix bug (please apply)

7. Question relating to source wildcard bits ...

8. v.34 survey.. Please respond, I'll summarize

9. Source Address - Multicast Bit Set

10. source of secondhand CISCO kit in UK ?

11. UK source for 'back to back' Cisco (DB60) x.21 cables

12. UK Cisco Router Source

13. US sourced modems OK in UK??? OR FAQ