mediacom iowa tax refunds

Post by farpoin » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:21:54

there's a bill (HF2006) in the house now that deals with taxes collected by
providers of online services.  i'm not sure if i understand this correctly,
but it seems by the language here that customers must file for a refund by
march 1 rather than rely upon mediacom's action.

anybody else got an interpretation on this?

HF20006

EXPLANATION

This bill provides that if a retailer failed to collect
state sales and use taxes and any local sales and services
taxes from purchasers of the retailer's access to on-line
computer services because of written advice from the
department of revenue and finance and had these taxes abated,
then such taxes shall not be collected from the purchaser.

The bill also provides that if these taxes were paid then
the taxes, with any penalty or interest paid, shall be
refunded to the purchaser if a claim for refund is filed by
March 1, 2002.

The bill takes effect upon enactment and applies to taxes
that were due from charges paid for access to on-line computer
services on or after January 1, 1996.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/GA/79GA/Legislation/HF/02000/HF02006/Cur...
ml

mediacom iowa tax refunds

Post by WTH » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 21:47:03

Last article I  saw less than 2 weeks ago said we would be credited on our
Feb billing. Credit will not cover sales tax paid on modem rental part of
monthly charge. Haven't seen my bill yet. I think former customers my need
to file with state if you are not a current Mediacom customer.

wth

Quote:> there's a bill (HF2006) in the house now that deals with taxes collected
by
> providers of online services.  i'm not sure if i understand this
correctly,
> but it seems by the language here that customers must file for a refund by
> march 1 rather than rely upon mediacom's action.

> anybody else got an interpretation on this?

> HF20006

> EXPLANATION

> This bill provides that if a retailer failed to collect
> state sales and use taxes and any local sales and services
> taxes from purchasers of the retailer's access to on-line
> computer services because of written advice from the
> department of revenue and finance and had these taxes abated,
> then such taxes shall not be collected from the purchaser.

> The bill also provides that if these taxes were paid then
> the taxes, with any penalty or interest paid, shall be
> refunded to the purchaser if a claim for refund is filed by
> March 1, 2002.

> The bill takes effect upon enactment and applies to taxes
> that were due from charges paid for access to on-line computer
> services on or after January 1, 1996.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/GA/79GA/Legislation/HF/02000/HF02006/Cur...

Quote:> ml

mediacom iowa tax refunds

Post by farpoin » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:35:35

the cycle that the refunds are going out started yesterday.
so someone should be getting their bills with that reflection.
i sure wish they'd post with their subscribe-date and the amount they got
back.

my calculation comes up with about $42 since march '00.

what i am sure of tho, is that they arent about to detail the formula
they're using and will probably just stick the amount next to a line saying
'refunded tax credit' and hope that nobody checks to make sure the amount is
correct.

> Last article I  saw less than 2 weeks ago said we would be credited on our
> Feb billing. Credit will not cover sales tax paid on modem rental part of
> monthly charge. Haven't seen my bill yet. I think former customers my need
> to file with state if you are not a current Mediacom customer.

> wth

> > there's a bill (HF2006) in the house now that deals with taxes collected
> by
> > providers of online services.  i'm not sure if i understand this
> correctly,
> > but it seems by the language here that customers must file for a refund
by
> > march 1 rather than rely upon mediacom's action.

> > anybody else got an interpretation on this?

> > HF20006

> > EXPLANATION

> > This bill provides that if a retailer failed to collect
> > state sales and use taxes and any local sales and services
> > taxes from purchasers of the retailer's access to on-line
> > computer services because of written advice from the
> > department of revenue and finance and had these taxes abated,
> > then such taxes shall not be collected from the purchaser.

> > The bill also provides that if these taxes were paid then
> > the taxes, with any penalty or interest paid, shall be
> > refunded to the purchaser if a claim for refund is filed by
> > March 1, 2002.

> > The bill takes effect upon enactment and applies to taxes
> > that were due from charges paid for access to on-line computer
> > services on or after January 1, 1996.

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/GA/79GA/Legislation/HF/02000/HF02006/Cur...

Quote:> > ml