Data over powerlines ?

Post by JJ » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:21:00

Anyone had any luck using these ?
Got a 3 story house that wants 5 drops and its a mother to cable, also not
to keen on attic work in the summer
Cant use the existing phone lines, some bonehead daisy chained  1 quad cable
when it was built.

Data over powerlines ?

Post by Macy Hallo » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:19:59

+---------------

Quote:> Anyone had any luck using these ?
> Got a 3 story house that wants 5 drops and its a mother to cable, also not
> to keen on attic work in the summer
> Cant use the existing phone lines, some bonehead daisy chained  1 quad cable
> when it was built.

What little power line equipment I've seen did not work well.

For such a short distance, 802.11a or g wireless works better.

You macy also want to consider HPNA networking over the existing phone lines.

--
+ Macy M. Hallock, Jr. + APK Net + Tel:216.241.7166 + Fax:216.241.7522 +
+  Speaking for myself. Anyone who agrees may need professional help.  +
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

Data over powerlines ?

Post by JJ » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:58:48

They have a wireless network (802.11B) already, the kids eat up all the
bandwidth, they also have 2 numbers on the existing quad cable ( red, green,
black, yellow )
I will look into the 802.11 G
Thanks

Post by David Leshe » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:08:45

>Anyone had any luck using these ?
>Got a 3 story house that wants 5 drops and its a mother to cable, also not
>to keen on attic work in the summer
>Cant use the existing phone lines, some bonehead daisy chained  1 quad cable
>when it was built.

Well, it's now cheap to experiment:

<http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=33-129-214&refe...>

Data over powerlines ?

Post by D R » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 02:41:22

> They have a wireless network (802.11B) already, the kids eat up all the
> bandwidth, they also have 2 numbers on the existing quad cable ( red, green,
> black, yellow )
> I will look into the 802.11 G
> Thanks

802.11g is shorter distance than the older B spec.

Have you considered a couple of 802.11b WAPs to replace a hard to wire
segment? I did that in a case where the wiring would have run $1k to $2k.
It was for cable internet and where the cable was in the house was no where
near where the computer network was located. I set them up on a fix
channel, encripted, only talk to each other's MAC address, etc... They
basically function as a wire to get the network from one location to
another. You can pick a channel that doesn't interfer with the other WiFi
in the house.

Data over powerlines ?

Post by lawrence.jo.. » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:13:00

> they also have 2 numbers on the existing quad cable ( red, green,
> black, yellow )

HPNA piggybacks on the existsing phone line, kind of like ADSL does; it
doesn't require an unused pair.  I've heard good things about the
current generation of powerline networking equipment, but I haven't any
personal experience with it.

-Larry Jones

He just doesn't want to face up to the fact that I'll be
the life of every party. -- Calvin

Data over powerlines ?

Post by Igor » Tue, 22 Jul 2003 00:35:29

>Have you considered a couple of 802.11b WAPs to replace a hard to wire
>segment? I did that in a case where the wiring would have run $1k to $2k.
>It was for cable internet and where the cable was in the house was no where
>near where the computer network was located. I set them up on a fix
>channel, encripted, only talk to each other's MAC address, etc... They
>basically function as a wire to get the network from one location to
>another. You can pick a channel that doesn't interfer with the other WiFi
>in the house.

Could you provide some more details on this?  Where the "network was located" did you
have an authenticating server that was the connecting node for the wireless segment?
What equipment did you use?  Info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Data over powerlines ?

Post by Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:10:09

Quote:> Anyone had any luck using these ?
> Got a 3 story house that wants 5 drops and its a mother to cable, also not
> to keen on attic work in the summer
> Cant use the existing phone lines, some bonehead daisy chained  1 quad cable
> when it was built.

So use a wireless.  The prices are decent.

###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101 <at> hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't

Data over powerlines ?

Post by Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:16:15

Quote:> They have a wireless network (802.11B) already, the kids eat up all the
> bandwidth, they also have 2 numbers on the existing quad cable ( red, green,
> black, yellow )

If they are eating up that much bandwidth, you have a problem that's
not gonna be fixed by any kind of network.  They're a menace to your
network's health.  Get them off your network, or get your PCs off
their network, since they seem to 'own' the bandwidth.  Leave them to
foul their own nest.  Get another network that is completely
independent from theirs.  If HPNA is an option then try it.  But don't
consider any netowrk that runs over power lines, they will slow down
to a crawl when the first vacuum cleaner is turned on.

> I will look into the 802.11 G
> Thanks

> > +---------------
> > > Anyone had any luck using these ?
> > > Got a 3 story house that wants 5 drops and its a mother to cable, also
> not
> > > to keen on attic work in the summer
> > > Cant use the existing phone lines, some bonehead daisy chained  1 quad
> cable
> > > when it was built.

> > What little power line equipment I've seen did not work well.

> > For such a short distance, 802.11a or g wireless works better.

> > You macy also want to consider HPNA networking over the existing phone
> lines.

> > --

###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't

1. voice-overs

I'm a voice actor looking for voice-overs, cartoon work, etc.   I'm new and
trying to get as much experience as possible so drop me a line at

http://www.geocities.com/alansmith_ca - if you have any voice work that
needs to be done.  (I'm located in Toronto, if you were wondering)

Even if you don't have a job for me, come and check out my page.  Request a
voice if you don't see your favourite there.  :)

-Alan Smith, Voice For Hire

2. VIM settings

3. Powerline ethernet

4. Help with a page-numbering problem...please

5. Enable Powerline... how is it?

6. VRML viewer wanted

7. Fast access over powerlines...

8. RFI: Which GPS and PalmPilot Pro

9. Hong Kong launches powerline broadband

10. Modems on Powerline?

11. Req: need documentation for Powerline I and II voicemail cards

12. I need information about DPL Digital Powerline