How to check for noise (oscilloscope?)

Post by Matt Harringt » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a standalone network which connects two devices through their
AUI ports.  AUI cable runs from each device to a 4 port fan-out.  A
small section of the cabling is ribbon cable and the rest is AUI
cable.

The network is in a very noisy environment.  I suspect the ribbon
cable is picking up noise and causing network problems.  Can I hook an
oscilloscope up to check for noise?  Which pins?  I can use the 2
spare ports on the 4 port fan-out to connect to the scope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Harrington
Salk Institute

--

1. How to check for noise (oscilloscope?)

I have a standalone network which connects two devices through their
AUI ports.  AUI cable runs from each device to a 4 port fan-out.  A
small section of the cabling is ribbon cable and the rest is AUI
cable.

The network is in a very noisy environment.  I suspect the ribbon
cable is picking up noise and causing network problems.  Can I hook an
oscilloscope up to check for noise?  Which pins?  I can use the 2
spare ports on the 4 port fan-out to connect to the scope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Harrington
Salk Institute

--

2. Using .Net from VB6 - looking in wrong folder

3. signal to noise ratio check?

4. Can't run apacite in MiKTeX 1.20 / BibTeX 0.99c ! <help!>

5. Having Telco Check Phone Line for Noise

6. Newbie question- Which one?

7. Checking freq response and noise level of phoneline

8. VAXstation3100 M76 won't boot NetBSD, did RTFM

9. Some noise, but good noise

10. May Have a Line Noise Problem -- Is There a Line Noise Test Web Site?

11. snmp error checking which field to check?

12. Cisco Price Check / Reality Check

13. serial port check ? null modem cable check ?