Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by DS » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 17:07:30

Okay- I'm no computer whiz- I understand a little about what things
like "packet loss" means and I understand the concept of what pinging
a website does. But I DEFINITELY know when Comcast tells me my pings
are supposed to be somewhere in the 10-30ms range, and I'm
consistently in the 100+ range, and quite often timing out,
something's wrong. So, when they tried to tie a file-sharing program
to the problem, I had a little something for 'em. I format my C drive
every so often anyway- so I formatted the drive, reinstalled the O/S
(W2K) with only the basics like Norton AV and the same media players
I've used since I've had a computer, and ran for a week like that.
Still pinging high as hell- and still timing out at times! The lines
have all been checked, by Comcast techs- all OK. Modem's been
replaced.  All I get is a bunch of head scratching and being asked
"What do you want us to do?" Uhhhh..... Maybe FIX IT!? GIVE ME WHAT
I'M PAYING FOR!?
   Why am I posting here? If I can't get any ideas of what an average
computer user can look at, beyond what's already been checked, I'd at
least like to hear from anyone else who's had simliar experiences-
especially with regards to alleged software issues. I'm just trying to
gather more ammo for my ongoing battle with the
Just-Make-Sure-Your-Payment-Is-On-Time Cable Company.
  As soon as DSL is available where I am, I'm gonna jump. Maybe into
another fire, but at least it'll be a new fire... This is tiring...

Post by Warre » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 17:22:06

>    Why am I posting here? If I can't get any ideas of what an average
> computer user can look at

Why don't you post us some traceroutes so we can see what's happening?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by Phoene » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:50:31

Try downloading pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com and checking the
latency throughout your route to the desired destination. I do not think
that any broadband company is going to promote low latency connections so
good luck. The only thing they will do is state the you will get up to xxx
speed up and down depending upon conditions. Many times extra high latency
is local congestion through a poorly designed or maintained system and that
problem they should fix if they are a good company.

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by Camero » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:11:59

Ask them to tell you how many people are on the same upstream channel as you
and also have them tell you how many people "Should" be allowed on the same
upstream channel.

Quote:> Okay- I'm no computer whiz- I understand a little about what things
> like "packet loss" means and I understand the concept of what pinging
> a website does. But I DEFINITELY know when Comcast tells me my pings
> are supposed to be somewhere in the 10-30ms range, and I'm
> consistently in the 100+ range, and quite often timing out,
> something's wrong. So, when they tried to tie a file-sharing program
> to the problem, I had a little something for 'em. I format my C drive
> every so often anyway- so I formatted the drive, reinstalled the O/S
> (W2K) with only the basics like Norton AV and the same media players
> I've used since I've had a computer, and ran for a week like that.
> Still pinging high as hell- and still timing out at times! The lines
> have all been checked, by Comcast techs- all OK. Modem's been
> replaced.  All I get is a bunch of head scratching and being asked
> "What do you want us to do?" Uhhhh..... Maybe FIX IT!? GIVE ME WHAT
> I'M PAYING FOR!?
>    Why am I posting here? If I can't get any ideas of what an average
> computer user can look at, beyond what's already been checked, I'd at
> least like to hear from anyone else who's had simliar experiences-
> especially with regards to alleged software issues. I'm just trying to
> gather more ammo for my ongoing battle with the
> Just-Make-Sure-Your-Payment-Is-On-Time Cable Company.
>   As soon as DSL is available where I am, I'm gonna jump. Maybe into
> another fire, but at least it'll be a new fire... This is tiring...

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by Kasper Berg » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:09:35

<snip lots of angry posting>

They were quite right to blame your p2p program in the first place. An
amazing amount of people download Kazaa etc. and then let it use all their
upstream, thus destroying their pings and downstream speeds.

Obviously now you've proved that wasn't it, but you have no reason to call
them names for proposing the most obvious solution.

Could be your network adapter. Are you using USB? Because then that's likely
it, otherwise could be a defect Ethernet adapter.

Could of course also be a "simple" case off too many people sharing too
little bandwidth in your area, in which case you are right that they arem't
doing their job. In any case I know I wouldn't want you as customer in any
firm I might start with the attitude you show.

/Kasper

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by ted » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 14:18:32

Have the exact same problem. I've been dealing with it from 6 months.
I have been tracking it. They got me to rent a modem (own mine) Not
it. Got me to turn off all 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. Not it (been on
analog phones for 2 months). They replaced the line to the house. They
replaced the line from the house junction to my modem.

I finally got them to get an upper level engineer on the case after I
explained the traceroute I have and the ping results I have to the
DNS.

They admitted it was an RF problem somewhere between my modem and
their equipment.  A tech is coming out tomorrow to do some more and
I'll let you know if things get fixed and what it is.

If it doesn't, I WILL get money back and go to DSL. :)

Quote:>Okay- I'm no computer whiz- I understand a little about what things
>like "packet loss" means and I understand the concept of what pinging
>a website does. But I DEFINITELY know when Comcast tells me my pings
>are supposed to be somewhere in the 10-30ms range, and I'm
>consistently in the 100+ range, and quite often timing out,
>something's wrong. So, when they tried to tie a file-sharing program
>to the problem, I had a little something for 'em. I format my C drive
>every so often anyway- so I formatted the drive, reinstalled the O/S
>(W2K) with only the basics like Norton AV and the same media players
>I've used since I've had a computer, and ran for a week like that.
>Still pinging high as hell- and still timing out at times! The lines
>have all been checked, by Comcast techs- all OK. Modem's been
>replaced.  All I get is a bunch of head scratching and being asked
>"What do you want us to do?" Uhhhh..... Maybe FIX IT!? GIVE ME WHAT
>I'M PAYING FOR!?
>   Why am I posting here? If I can't get any ideas of what an average
>computer user can look at, beyond what's already been checked, I'd at
>least like to hear from anyone else who's had simliar experiences-
>especially with regards to alleged software issues. I'm just trying to
>gather more ammo for my ongoing battle with the
>Just-Make-Sure-Your-Payment-Is-On-Time Cable Company.
>  As soon as DSL is available where I am, I'm gonna jump. Maybe into
>another fire, but at least it'll be a new fire... This is tiring...

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by Wayne Roo » Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:31:34

I don't have the EXACT same problem. I may though end up with the same end
results. My pings seem OK. However, my downloads avg. 80kbs. I'll guess my
highest in 4 months to be 130kbs. I do not mean mbs. I've never had even 1
download avg. 150kbs, which is but 10% of the "maximum" I'm supposed to be
paying for. All the local tech's have been here atleast twice. All new wire
to the pole; checked all amps. in this node; no idea of the problem. Calling
the 1-888 number is a joke. I have to start anew each call even when talking
to a supervisor. I can't reach the local office(Wildwood) by phone; must
visit in person; not much help there either. As stated elsewhere I WANT WHAT
I'M PAYING FOR! Comcast has no competition for cable in the area and DSL is
just becoming available. Don't know where to turn.

Wayne Roop
Cape May,  NJ

> Have the exact same problem. I've been dealing with it from 6 months.
> I have been tracking it. They got me to rent a modem (own mine) Not
> it. Got me to turn off all 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. Not it (been on
> analog phones for 2 months). They replaced the line to the house. They
> replaced the line from the house junction to my modem.

> I finally got them to get an upper level engineer on the case after I
> explained the traceroute I have and the ping results I have to the
> DNS.

> They admitted it was an RF problem somewhere between my modem and
> their equipment.  A tech is coming out tomorrow to do some more and
> I'll let you know if things get fixed and what it is.

> If it doesn't, I WILL get money back and go to DSL. :)

> >Okay- I'm no computer whiz- I understand a little about what things
> >like "packet loss" means and I understand the concept of what pinging
> >a website does. But I DEFINITELY know when Comcast tells me my pings
> >are supposed to be somewhere in the 10-30ms range, and I'm
> >consistently in the 100+ range, and quite often timing out,
> >something's wrong. So, when they tried to tie a file-sharing program
> >to the problem, I had a little something for 'em. I format my C drive
> >every so often anyway- so I formatted the drive, reinstalled the O/S
> >(W2K) with only the basics like Norton AV and the same media players
> >I've used since I've had a computer, and ran for a week like that.
> >Still pinging high as hell- and still timing out at times! The lines
> >have all been checked, by Comcast techs- all OK. Modem's been
> >replaced.  All I get is a bunch of head scratching and being asked
> >"What do you want us to do?" Uhhhh..... Maybe FIX IT!? GIVE ME WHAT
> >I'M PAYING FOR!?
> >   Why am I posting here? If I can't get any ideas of what an average
> >computer user can look at, beyond what's already been checked, I'd at
> >least like to hear from anyone else who's had simliar experiences-
> >especially with regards to alleged software issues. I'm just trying to
> >gather more ammo for my ongoing battle with the
> >Just-Make-Sure-Your-Payment-Is-On-Time Cable Company.
> >  As soon as DSL is available where I am, I'm gonna jump. Maybe into
> >another fire, but at least it'll be a new fire... This is tiring...

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by ted » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 05:43:52

Well they seem to have solved my poroblem. The tech got here and also
noticed a problem in the line and said it was something in the
upstream signal. They arranged for a sweep tech to come out here and
check the line. For once I didn't have to wait that 4 hour period for
them to get here, everything was handled outside my home. They did
indeed notice a problem and did "something" to correct it.

Before they came out, my upstream signal was out of specs according to
what I've read here. Ias 48 dBmV and everything I've read says it
should be between 40-45 dBmV. Well now it goes between 44-45 dBmV and
my pings couldn't be better. They have also just announced they are
doubling the upload speeds to 256k. we'll see if that effects me at
all.

Rcheek

> [...]

>> >Still pinging high as hell- and still timing out at times! The lines
>> >have all been checked, by Comcast techs- all OK. Modem's been
>> >replaced.  All I get is a bunch of head scratching and being asked
>> >"What do you want us to do?" Uhhhh..... Maybe FIX IT!? GIVE ME WHAT
>> >I'M PAYING FOR!?
>> >   Why am I posting here? If I can't get any ideas of what an average
>> >computer user can look at, beyond what's already been checked, I'd at
>> >least like to hear from anyone else who's had simliar experiences-
>> >especially with regards to alleged software issues. I'm just trying to
>> >gather more ammo for my ongoing battle with the
>> >Just-Make-Sure-Your-Payment-Is-On-Time Cable Company.
>> >  As soon as DSL is available where I am, I'm gonna jump. Maybe into
>> >another fire, but at least it'll be a new fire... This is tiring...

Comcast blames WinMX software for slow speeds?

Post by DougNew » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 07:50:54

If this is a DOCSIS cable modem, the allowable specs are:
Downstream power: DOCSIS limits -15..+15 dbmV
Carrier to noise: Normal in 30..37 dB range, can go up to 60dB
Upstream power: Normal range 30..55 dbmV