What is the radius of service for cable modem service?

What is the radius of service for cable modem service?

Post by Jason Whorto » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:14:11

Hello.  I have read that you have to be within 18,000 feet of a switching
station for DSL service.  Is there some radius to be within for cable modem
service or can they use signal boosters of some sort?

Thank you,
Jason Whorton

What is the radius of service for cable modem service?

Post by James Knot » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:50:25

Quote:> Hello.  I have read that you have to be within 18,000 feet of a switching
> station for DSL service.  Is there some radius to be within for cable
> modem service or can they use signal boosters of some sort?

Cable modems don't have the same distance limits as DSL, because of the
method used to carry the data.  As long as the cable company maintains
adaquate signal levels, you'll be OK.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

What is the radius of service for cable modem service?

Post by Mike » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:51:23

As long as you can get cable, and your system is upgraded to handle Cable
Modem service, you can get it.  There is no distance limit with it, unlike
DSL as you've found out.