disconnect tied to 8250 uart???

Post by jnet3 » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have a 486 with 32mb ram running win3.1        Just had a new
dedicated phone line installed.  Problem? I keep getting disconnected
while on the web -- rarely if ever in news -- and believe that my
problem may be the old 8250 uart.   Anyone have any thoughts or
experience on that?   I can pick up a new serial board with a 16550A
uart quite reasonably and looks very simple to install where the
old/current one is.  Do you think that will solve my problem?   The
only way I don't get disconnected is if I clear the cache while in
NN3.0 then exit, the restart.   If I don't do it frequently enough,
i.e. like every 6th screen I go to, I get kicked off..  Seems like a
lot of work to go thru.   Adding the 16mb of ram helped, but didn't
eliminate the problem.  Also, I have 620k free memory so I know that's
not the problem.    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Sajid Ahmed The Peacema » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have a 486 with 32mb ram running win3.1        Just had a new
> dedicated phone line installed.  Problem? I keep getting disconnected
> while on the web -- rarely if ever in news -- and believe that my
> problem may be the old 8250 uart.   Anyone have any thoughts or
> experience on that?   I can pick up a new serial board with a 16550A
> uart quite reasonably and looks very simple to install where the
> old/current one is.  Do you think that will solve my problem?   The
> only way I don't get disconnected is if I clear the cache while in
> NN3.0 then exit, the restart.   If I don't do it frequently enough,
> i.e. like every 6th screen I go to, I get kicked off..  Seems like a
> lot of work to go thru.   Adding the 16mb of ram helped, but didn't
> eliminate the problem.  Also, I have 620k free memory so I know that's
> not the problem.    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

        If you have an internal modem, make sure you don't have
any conflicts with irqs between your modem and serial port on
the ide/io card. If your using an external modem, and your modem
is faster than 9600 bps, you need the 16550 uart.

                                                Peaceman

1. 8250 UART

Howdy all.....:-)

Firstly I do realize that there are newer/better UARTs available than the 8250
but a 8250 is all I have available right now to experiment with.  :-)

I need an URL to locate a schematic on how to hookup a 8250, 1488 and 1489.
I've spent the last couple of days searching the net but can't seem to turn up
anything except for one schematic that shows the UART but not the 1488 and 1489
connections.

BTW, this schematic shows the timing crystal directly connected (via R/C
components) to the 8250.  Is this correct?  Is there no oscillator (eg 555
timing) or binary counter IC (eg 74HC6040) needed for this UART?

Any information would be much appreciated..........thanks! :-)

--- Sqed/32 1.14/r15155

--- Squish->SOUP by TAM

2. ? about frame relay for AS400 WAN.

3. INTEL 8250 UART

4. Mags & Disks

5. Even/Odd Parity Problems w/ MV2700 & 8250 UART

6. Help for AI on IRC

7. 28.8K External Modem & UART 8250?

8. Acoustic Couplers

9. Borland TDREMOTE - patching it for non-8250 UARTS (AMD 80188)

10. MS-Kermit 3.13, Windows, "Unknown hardware for port", 8250/16550 UART

11. MSX 2 Philips 8250 HS/ Looking for out of order MSX 2 8250

12. Dell 8250

13. 8250 vs 16550