USR sportster voice: din 8 to din 8 pins?

USR sportster voice: din 8 to din 8 pins?

Post by PUNCHO » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Someone posted this earlier, but I figured I give a shot since
no one answered him.

Has anyone successfully made a din 8 to din 8 cable from a USR
voice fax modem to a turbo 040?  I wanted to explore this before
I try and exchange the modem for the PC version with the 25pin
connector.

Lemme know of any success stories.

--

                                                Christian Shank

                                                Nothing special...

                                                No titles or honoraria

Quote?  I have no stinking quote!

The opinions contained above are mine and mine alone, they are in no
way associated with anyone I work for, have worked with, ever will work
for or with, nor are the opinions of those I work for or with mine, nor
have they been mine nor will they be mine nor are my opinions yours or
yours mine, nor is anything I've written to be considered my opinion since
I'm an unwilling victim of alien mind control.

USR sportster voice: din 8 to din 8 pins?

Post by Scott M. Ne » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I answered Christian already in email, but I'll answer again here...

                Macintosh-specific modems are cheaper than non-Mac
        modems because there are no separate DTR/RTS pins on the modem.
        Macs don't require separate signals, so modem companies can
        save money by not including the required logic.

                I was under the impression that the only difference
        between Mac modems and other modems would be the included
        software bundle, but I learned the hard way with this very
        modem via trial-and-error and a direct response from USR
        support (who were very helpful, even when giving me bad news!)

                The NeXT computer specifcally requires separate control
        of DTR and RTS, which is impossible with this modem (and, I'm
        guessing, other Mac-specific modems).

                A friend of mine commented that he once saw a Mac modem
        that had a hardwired cable with a Mac DIN8 on one side, to
        ensure that it couldn't be used with a different cable.  USR
        is using the same logic by making a removable cable, but putting
        DIN8 connectors on both sides so DB25 modem cables will not fit.

                If anyone is *really* interested, I will send the response
        from US Robotics with the pinout of the Sportster for Mac's DIN8
        connector, which clearly shows a combined DTR/RTS pin (and which
        is not available on the WWW or in the documentation that comes
        with the modem).

                                Scott