failure to power up, keyboard not seen, drive A not seen, monitor not seen

failure to power up, keyboard not seen, drive A not seen, monitor not seen

Post by Mar » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:30:07

I have a 2nd hard drive installed on the computer.
Tried to install a network card and a scanner card.
Powered on the computer and it would go through a memory test and go
up to 16000.  There would be memory error message 201. Windows95 would
start to come on, memory test again, windows, on and on
It is beeping 6 times-2 long and 4 short beeps upon powering up.
Went into setup menu and selected revert to factory settings.
Turned off the computer.  Turned it back on.
The 2 cpu lights come on-green and amber.  The keyboard does not light
up.  The monitor remains blank and drive A does not light up.
I put a rescue disk in drive A and it is not seen.

Help

Mary

failure to power up, keyboard not seen, drive A not seen, monitor not seen

Post by Orest Zarowsk » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:24:48

Mary

I am going to make some assumptions here because you have failed to
provide pertinent information about your configuration and system specs,
not to mention the new cards you are installing.  I will list these
assumptions.

Assumptions
1) system does not have an AGP slot on MB, or if it does, it is first
generation AGP.
2) there may be one ISA slot on the MB, possibly two, but shared with PCI
slots.
3) new "scanner" card is a low end SCSI card with an external connector
only.  It is a PCI device
4) the NIC is a PCI device.
5) you have in fact applied all relevant patches for your OS.

Comments.
On some older systems, the implementation of PCI on the MB was in a
transitional state, leading to some very strange conflicts.  This made it
necessary to swap the positions of cards in the slots to get them to
work.  Order of detection, and therefore assigning IRQs is important.  It
may be that you need to try this out, and see what happens.

Occasionally, two peripheral cards were not well designed, and would end
up conflicting with each other and clobbering something else on the
system.  I have this problem with two of my old cards in a a new system.
put them both in together, and the floppy drive can't act as a boot
device, but it performs fine otherwise.  Take either one of the cards out,
and the FD works like a charm.  PCI conflict between the two cards.

Also, Windows itself can do funny things.  You may need to verify that the
IRQ settings in the PCI bus are not being changed from what the hardware
detection set them to.  WIndows 95 likes to flip the order around, which
can cause problems.

Why are you still running Windows 95?  Move up to Win 98 SE, and a lot of
your issues should go away.  Mind you, you'll get some new ones, but
easier to fix.

If the scanner card is an ISA device, then you need to ensure that you are
putting it into a slot that does not conflict with the PCI slots.  Also,
make sure that you have all the right drivers.

These comments are by no means exhaustive, and are a starting point only.
Your mileage may vary.

Orest

> I have a 2nd hard drive installed on the computer.
> Tried to install a network card and a scanner card.
> Powered on the computer and it would go through a memory test and go
> up to 16000.  There would be memory error message 201. Windows95 would
> start to come on, memory test again, windows, on and on
> It is beeping 6 times-2 long and 4 short beeps upon powering up.
> Went into setup menu and selected revert to factory settings.
> Turned off the computer.  Turned it back on.
> The 2 cpu lights come on-green and amber.  The keyboard does not light
> up.  The monitor remains blank and drive A does not light up.
> I put a rescue disk in drive A and it is not seen.

> Help

> Mary

1. CD-ROM drive not seen by win95

I recently reinstalled win95 on my Gateway2k P75 PC.
After I upgraded from win311 to win95 there were no
problems with the CD-ROM drive (it's a rather old Nec 2x CD-ROM).
After reinstalling win95 it cannot find the CD-ROM, but instead it
finds an IDE controller as new hardware, which after a second boot
shows that it is not installed correctly or does not have the right
drivers installed, bla bla bla.

The only way to get to my CD-ROM right now is to put it into the
autoexec and config. Now I am able to see it in win95, though
in real-mode and slower than I had it before.

Another thing which I added since I first installed win95 is a
Colorado tape drive (hooked to the floppy controller).

Any ideas what I can do to let win95 see the CD-ROM drive? Where can
I get an .inf file with the right drivers, eg?

thanks for reading this and maybe even for the help

Hilmar

2. Need help choosing monitor etc.

3. Boring Dull Dull. Seen one seen them all.

4. BMPOUT

5. Bytes seen by Router vs Bytes seen by RMON2

6. Technical data for psion II XP

7. Nikon Coolscan not being seen by my Mac

8. Hotsync with two PCs

9. W 2k not seeing slide scanner

10. Vuescan not seeing Epson 1650

11. Twain drivers not "seen"

12. SCSI card sees scanner 8 times (not an ID conflict!)

13. I have seen the future and it does not suck