Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

Post by James Marsel » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a Pentium II 266 MHz system running Win 95 (for now, may add
some flavor of Unix later) with a PCI SCSI card, SCSI hard
drive and SCSI CD ROM drive.  I was thinking of buying a ZIP drive.
Should I get a ZIP with a parallel interface so I can use it on other
PCs which most likely don't have SCSI or a ZIP Plus with SCSI and
parallel?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Marselle

Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

Post by Blutoa » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The Zip Plus is the way to go IMHO. You get SCSI speed and full Zip Tools
functionality on your machine and you can take your stuff with you. You've
already got SCSI so go for it.
blutoad

>I have a Pentium II 266 MHz system running Win 95 (for now, may add
>some flavor of Unix later) with a PCI SCSI card, SCSI hard
>drive and SCSI CD ROM drive.  I was thinking of buying a ZIP drive.
>Should I get a ZIP with a parallel interface so I can use it on other
>PCs which most likely don't have SCSI or a ZIP Plus with SCSI and
>parallel?

>Thanks for any suggestions.

>Jim Marselle

Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

Post by Mihali » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Depends on what you need.  The zip plus drive is no faster than the
"normal" zip drive in parallel port mode.  If your wanting to use a
parallel port model, the original is the way to go.

> I have a Pentium II 266 MHz system running Win 95 (for now, may add
> some flavor of Unix later) with a PCI SCSI card, SCSI hard
> drive and SCSI CD ROM drive.  I was thinking of buying a ZIP drive.
> Should I get a ZIP with a parallel interface so I can use it on other
> PCs which most likely don't have SCSI or a ZIP Plus with SCSI and
> parallel?

> Thanks for any suggestions.

> Jim Marselle

Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

Post by Davi » Mon, 16 Mar 1998 04:00:00

PMFJI, but I have owned both Zip drives, and find little difference in
speed between them. I no fan of Zips, or Iomega for that matter. I have
sent back several Zips, expecially the internals. Iomega's "support" isn't
that at all, it is usually an excercise in futility. Same goes for their
tape drives. Myself, I really hope that Sony's upcoming high density flopy
drive catches on, and wipes Zips off the face of the earth, as unrealistic
as that may be.

But, I digress. Between the two, buy the lowest price Zip external you can
find. SCSI is preferable, since it is faster than parallel.

David M.

> Depends on what you need.  The zip plus drive is no faster than the
> "normal" zip drive in parallel port mode.  If your wanting to use a
> parallel port model, the original is the way to go.

Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

Post by Daniel Wit » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        I am curious as to whether your Zip's were scsi or ide. My Zip scsi
internal is excellent & trouble free. A number of friends also run scsi
Zips or Jazz drives and are very happy also. Thanks in advance.
--
Daniel Witt
5786 203 Street, Langley BC, Canada V3A-1W3

* please inform asap if this note is not received intact *
<sent by Communicator4.04, 0 attached, 00:00am my time >