Dell Inspiron 7500 Alt key doesn't work

Post by Chri » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 03:41:22

Hi,

I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 with the knowledge that the Alt
key doesn't work.  Because I'm running Windows 2000 Professional I
need to press Ctr/Alt/Del to boot up - so far I have been plugging in
an external keyboard for this purpose.

Is there a way that I can programme another key to act as the alt key?

thanks,

Chris.

Post by Chris Hodge » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 04:49:43

> Hi,

> I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 with the knowledge that the Alt
> key doesn't work.  Because I'm running Windows 2000 Professional I
> need to press Ctr/Alt/Del to boot up - so far I have been plugging in
> an external keyboard for this purpose.

> Is there a way that I can programme another key to act as the alt key?

I take it an inspiron is a laptop?

Assuming no warranty issues, you might want to make sure there's nothing
jamming the key, and no bit of plastic broken off that should make the
contact underneath.

On my desktop, the right <Alt> (called <Alt GR> btw) functions as normal
  <Alt> for <C><A><D> in win98 - that might be worth a try.

--
Chris
-----

Dell Inspiron 7500 Alt key doesn't work

Post by Amee » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 05:59:36

TRy this:
remove the power and battery
hold down the power on key for abt 15 secs
try the k/b now
if it doesnt work
get a can of compressed air that is available in the market and used
for cleaning computer parts. use it to clean the surface below the
key. try no...this worked for me

ameet

> > Hi,

> > I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 with the knowledge that the Alt
> > key doesn't work.  Because I'm running Windows 2000 Professional I
> > need to press Ctr/Alt/Del to boot up - so far I have been plugging in
> > an external keyboard for this purpose.

> > Is there a way that I can programme another key to act as the alt key?

> I take it an inspiron is a laptop?

> Assuming no warranty issues, you might want to make sure there's nothing
> jamming the key, and no bit of plastic broken off that should make the
> contact underneath.

> On my desktop, the right <Alt> (called <Alt GR> btw) functions as normal
>   <Alt> for <C><A><D> in win98 - that might be worth a try.

Dell Inspiron 7500 Alt key doesn't work

Post by Charles A. Burg » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 06:24:37

Also, if security is not a concern, you can comfigure Windows to give you a
logon box when it starts, effectively bypassing the "Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to
Log in" box.

Charles

> > Hi,

> > I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 7500 with the knowledge that the Alt
> > key doesn't work.  Because I'm running Windows 2000 Professional I
> > need to press Ctr/Alt/Del to boot up - so far I have been plugging in
> > an external keyboard for this purpose.

> > Is there a way that I can programme another key to act as the alt key?

> I take it an inspiron is a laptop?

> Assuming no warranty issues, you might want to make sure there's nothing
> jamming the key, and no bit of plastic broken off that should make the
> contact underneath.

> On my desktop, the right <Alt> (called <Alt GR> btw) functions as normal
>   <Alt> for <C><A><D> in win98 - that might be worth a try.

> --
> Chris
> -----
> Spamtrap in force: to email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder.co.uk

1. FYI: Openstep 4.2 runs on Dell Inspiron 7500

Just thought I'd add my little bit to the global pool of knowledge...

I have successfully installed Openstep 4.2 on one of the newer Dell
Inspiron 7500's. NeXT's new beta ATI driver (on the patch 4 CD) runs the
SXGA screen fine and Openstep looks awesome on the bright 15.4"
1280x1024 display - I can highly recommend it! There were a few install
gotchas that are easy to avoid if you know about them (i.e. I wasted
many hours tripping up on them) but its pretty straight  forward once
you have the steps down. If you're interested please feel free to
contact me. If there is a lot of interest I might throw together a "how
to" and post it. Its also been installed by others on the I7000 and
I5000.

Nice machine - PIII-600, max 512MB RAM, 8MB 3D video card - and even
with the huge screen it was surprisingly cheap ($2.5K). *BUT* it is big
and heavy; luggable but definitely not for the frequent flier.

- Gareth

PS - Plays Unreal Tournament pretty good too... :-)

2. Xpath in version 5 browsers

3. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Win2K Installtion WOES

4. Type 1 fonts in WinOS/2 -- Times [New] Roman failure

5. !! Wanted !! Dell Inspiron 7500 Laptop

6. MSN Messenger 3.0 - switch identity missing

7. FS: DELL INSPIRON 7500

8. A CPC demo I saw.....

9. More Dell Inspiron 7500 woes

10. Advise on buy: Dell Inspiron 5100 or Dell Inspiron 8500??

11. FS: INSPIRON 7500 PIII500/256MB/15.4 DISPLAY/DVD/FLOPPY COMBO

12. GVIM 5.5 (Solaris): Why don't number keys work after Alt/B ?

13. Dell I4000 & XP doesn't work