HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium & Matrox MGA PCI /2+ problems

HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium & Matrox MGA PCI /2+ problems

Post by Nathan F. Janet » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Help, please!

I'll be working with a HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium system with an
installed Matrox MGA PCI /2+ video card.  I would like to install
NEXTSTEP as the OS of choice (my choice, heh heh).

        - the onboard SCSI is supported
        - the onboard ethernet is supported
        - the onboard (low-end) video chipset is supported

The bad news appears to be that the standard video upgrade for
this system (according to the HP manual), the Matrox MGA PCI /2+
card does not appear to have a driver.  Perhaps is uses a chipset
that is supported by one of the more generic video drivers?

One strange thing is that when I unplugged the video card,
the system refuses to boot using the builtin video.  The
manual doesn't seem to indicate any switch settings for
enabling/disabling the builtin video...

--
Nathan Janette
NEXTSTEP & Unix Systems Management Consultant

HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium & Matrox MGA PCI /2+ problems

Post by Simon Casa » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Help, please!

If you have the Matrox card then there is NO built in video.
The chip is not there. This annoyed me no end and is not mentioned
anywhere in the specs.

: I'll be working with a HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium system with an
: installed Matrox MGA PCI /2+ video card.  I would like to install
: NEXTSTEP as the OS of choice (my choice, heh heh).

:       - the onboard SCSI is supported
:       - the onboard ethernet is supported
:       - the onboard (low-end) video chipset is supported

: The bad news appears to be that the standard video upgrade for
: this system (according to the HP manual), the Matrox MGA PCI /2+
: card does not appear to have a driver.  Perhaps is uses a chipset
: that is supported by one of the more generic video drivers?

: One strange thing is that when I unplugged the video card,
: the system refuses to boot using the builtin video.  The
: manual doesn't seem to indicate any switch settings for
: enabling/disabling the builtin video...

: --
: Nathan Janette
: NEXTSTEP & Unix Systems Management Consultant

--
Simon Casady                                      Health Care Expert Systems

HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium & Matrox MGA PCI /2+ problems

Post by Bob Nila » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> The bad news appears to be that the standard video upgrade for
> this system (according to the HP manual), the Matrox MGA PCI /2+
> card does not appear to have a driver.  Perhaps is uses a chipset
> that is supported by one of the more generic video drivers?

The manual suggests that the POST is supposed to detect any plug-in
video.  You might try re-installing the MGA and poking around in BOIS
setup.

Meanwhile, the MGA does have basic VAG capability, although it's DOS
performance is notoriously slow (reportedly fixed in the Millenium).

Regards,                                            1001-A East Harmony Road
Bob Niland                                          Suite 503

                                                    Colorado     80525   USA

Post by Charles D Marcot » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Help, please!
> I'll be working with a HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium system with an
> installed Matrox MGA PCI /2+ video card.  I would like to install
> NEXTSTEP as the OS of choice (my choice, heh heh).

>    - the onboard SCSI is supported
>    - the onboard ethernet is supported
>    - the onboard (low-end) video chipset is supported
> The bad news appears to be that the standard video upgrade for
> this system (according to the HP manual), the Matrox MGA PCI /2+
> card does not appear to have a driver.  Perhaps is uses a chipset
> that is supported by one of the more generic video drivers?
> One strange thing is that when I unplugged the video card,
> the system refuses to boot using the builtin video.  The
> manual doesn't seem to indicate any switch settings for
> enabling/disabling the builtin video...
> --
> Nathan Janette
> NEXTSTEP & Unix Systems Management Consultant

CHECK The motherboard !!! Our XU90 had no S3 video chip on it,
thus no onboard video !!!  The HP marketing literaure mislead
into believing that the XU would have both video options.

1. NS 3.2 on HP Vectra XU 5/90

To All:

Will NS 3.2 run on the following platform:

        HP Vectra XU 5/90 with 540 MB HD
        32MB ram
        Integrated S3 video

I've been unable to find the 3.2 hardware compatibility guides on the
Next site although I did find a beta 3.3 video driver for the machine.
Will this driver work under 3.2. Thanks in advance,

Dave Lawson

2. Insufficient Quota Problem... PLEASE HELP...

3. HP-XU vectra 5/90 crashes!

4. Atelier "Essential Disk Utilities"

5. HP Vectra XU 5/90, will it work?

6. Wanted: Latest PostScript driver

7. AST Premmia GXP/90 - HP Vectra XU 5/90C work with NS3.2?

8. Cross Posting (Tapi 3.0/C#) Question

9. Problem installing qnx on hp vectra VL/5 166/Mhz Pentium PC

10. Does the HP Vectra XU has the bugged PCI chipset?

11. Premiere/PCI II Pentium/90 install problems with large IDE.

12. JCIS "Lion" 90 MHz Pentium machine

13. 90 Mhz Pentium: Intel Plato vs. Micronics?