NS 3.2 on NICE Super-EISA Board?

Post by Will Est » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 12:26:51

I need help installing NS 3.2.

I'm installing NeXTSTEP 3.2 on a NICE chipset Super-EISA motherboard
(1 VESA LB slot; 8 EISA slots) with an AMI BIOS.  The cards I am
using are:

        Adaptec 1542C driving a Maxtor 540SL
                (I was hoping to use a 1742, but I don't see a
                driver for it)
        ATI Ultra Pro 2meg
        Taiwanese serial/parallel card with 1 16550 on the first serial port
        Microsoft mouse attached to the first serial port
        SMC Elite 16/Combo card
        Pro Audio Spectrum 16

I'm running into disaster here.  With the above configuration, I
get through the initial floppy install, and NeXTSTEP comes up with
its logo and the slider bar goes from left to right as NeXTSTEP
checks the disk, loads services, etc.  At this point the desktop
becomes a blank gray slate with the mouse pointer at the top left,
and the system freezes.

On suspicion of some IRQ overlaps, I removed the ethernet card and
the sound card (both are apparently configured by software rather
than by hard-wired jumpers, so this made me think the default
IRQ/ports might overlap).  Now I get the same symptoms, except
instead of a blank gray desktop, I get the blank desktop followed
by:

        Unexpected kernel trap d eip 1a3f4c

Is NS 3.2 compatible with the NICE chipset Super-EISA board?
What are some possible causes for my problem?
Does NeXTSTEP properly configure the IRQs for the sound/ethernet
card I list above?

--

Post by Will Est » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 12:44:20

: On suspicion of some IRQ overlaps, I removed the ethernet card and
: the sound card (both are apparently configured by software rather
: than by hard-wired jumpers, so this made me think the default
: IRQ/ports might overlap).  Now I get the same symptoms, except
: instead of a blank gray desktop, I get the blank desktop followed
: by:

:       Unexpected kernel trap d eip 1a3f4c

Second time around I get:

        Unexpected kernel trap d eip 1a3f5a
        Failed instruction exception (2, d, 0)

--

NS 3.2 on NICE Super-EISA Board?

Post by Gary Ritch » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 00:38:53

From NEXTAnswers #1108:

---
Avoid system configurations combining an Adaptec 154xB, Adaptec 154xC,
Adaptec 154xCF and an ATI Ultra Pro EISA card.  A hardware conflict exists
which causes data corruption on SCSI hard disks.
---

Don't know if this is the cause of your problem.

--
Gary Ritchie : NeXT Programmer
Department of Medicine (Neurology) : University of Alberta Hospital

(403) 492-8648

NS 3.2 on NICE Super-EISA Board?

Post by Will Est » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 10:11:09

: From NEXTAnswers #1108:

: ---
: Avoid system configurations combining an Adaptec 154xB, Adaptec 154xC,
: Adaptec 154xCF and an ATI Ultra Pro EISA card.  A hardware conflict exists
: which causes data corruption on SCSI hard disks.
: ---

: Don't know if this is the cause of your problem.

It sounds pretty close: I have an Ultra Pro VLB card.  It's also a
32-bit card.  Someone else wrote to me that I should first disable
the memory aperature feature on the Ultra Pro before attempting to
install NeXTSTEP.  I did this, but the system still hangs at the
same point.  Also, being forced to disable the memory aperature
feature destroys the performance of the video card.  I don't see
what the point of NS requiring all this expensive hardware if they
don't even have drivers to use it (evidence the 1742 EISA adapter
which only seems to work if you configure it to work like an ISA
card).

Can someone please give me the name of *any* EISA SCSI host adapter
that will work in its enhanced 32-bit mode with *any* VLB video card using
NS 3.2?  I'm feeling a little lost here now.

--

Post by Jim Qui » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 07:08:12

>Can someone please give me the name of *any* EISA SCSI host adapter
>that will work in its enhanced 32-bit mode with *any* VLB video card using
>NS 3.2?  I'm feeling a little lost here now.

>--

I have an ATI GUP VLB (rev 6) running at native next resolution
and a DPT 2022/95 controller.  The system has better disk performance
than my 040 cube, NXBench is .71 at 1120*832 16bit color
and knocks the socks of the cube all around at 1280x1024 8-bit gray.
--
  ___ ___   mail: uunet!phcs!jq     PHCS, Inc. Advanced Technology Group

\_/ (_\/   Voice: (617) 861-5579   pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove".
       )                                                  NeXTMail O.K.

Post by Nathan F. Janet » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 12:40:26

> I have an ATI GUP VLB (rev 6) running at native next resolution
> and a DPT 2022/95 controller.  The system has better disk performance
> than my 040 cube, NXBench is .71 at 1120*832 16bit color
> and knocks the socks of the cube all around at 1280x1024 8-bit gray.

I suppose everyone has their own standard for "knocking the socks" off
something, but 60 MHz refresh video rates sure don't qualify in my book.
Too bad, the 1280x1024 screen sure would be nice otherwise.  Until they
can get the refresh rates up to at least 68 MHz, I'll stick with my cube.

--
Nathan Janette                  Voice: 203 432 5065
Systems Manager                 Fax: 203 432 3923

Yale Univ Dept MB&B/HHMI    "I'm a NeXTstep Man, I'm a NeXTcube Guy"

Post by Will Est » Sat, 11 Dec 1993 17:31:38

[...]

And the solution to this problem was:

        In the AMI BIOS settings, turn off the RAM shadowing for the VGA BIOS

Apparently some well-meaning technician at the company that sold me
the motherboard enabled this setting.

--

1. Question: Anyone use TYAN EISA/VL bus motherboard for NS 3.2???

Hello,

     Does anyone use TYAN EISA/VL bus motherboard to install NS 3.2 successfully.  I bought this motherboard and never get my NS 3.2 to install on it.  It always stop in the middle way of the installation process (when the installation graph chart are shown and start copy some sort of files into HD).  Sometimes it even stopped in the booting process.  I also have Adatpec 1542c and ATI Ultra graphic pro 2MB VL.  The chipset on that motherboard is made by "SiS".

Any suggestions welcome...

RW Tu

2. Database problem

3. Buslogic EISA controllers with NS 3.2

4. Unusual New Art Font Available

5. EISA Ethernet Cards Under NS 3.2 FIP?

6. IBM->Amiga Mouse--Anyone know how??

7. need to upgrade nice super eisa motherbard to work with win/95

8. NetRemoteTOD

9. NICE super EISA

10. Can I use ATI GUP PCI with a PCI-board and NS 3.2

11. PCI on-board SCSI supported in NS/FIP 3.2 (or later) ?

12. Floppy controller causes panic with EISA/VL/ISA board, NS/I

13. Combi-boards ( EISA + VLB) Does they work with NS FIP 3.1?