HW for Solitaire?

Post by Philip McDunnou » Wed, 18 May 1994 17:40:35

There's an excellent Solitaire game for the NeXT PC with really nice looking
cards. I run it using a GUP VLB (2megs) on a 486DX-66/2. Something is wrong
in the sense that I feel I have to drag the cards from one pile to another.
Would getting a faster computer, or a faster graphics' card make Solitaire
snappy? For instance, would one of the Miro cards make Solitaire play like
it should?

Thank's,...Philip

--
Philip McDunnough                    OR     P. McDunnough (U of Toronto-stats)

[Where sheep may safely graze...]           [Where sheep bite...]

HW for Solitaire?

Post by Michael McCullo » Thu, 19 May 1994 12:14:26

>There's an excellent Solitaire game for the NeXT PC with really nice looking
>cards. I run it using a GUP VLB (2megs) on a 486DX-66/2. Something is wrong
>in the sense that I feel I have to drag the cards from one pile to another.
>Would getting a faster computer, or a faster graphics' card make Solitaire
>snappy? ...

No, not that much snappier. A PCI Pentium w/ a Diamond Viper will only
be about 50% faster for graphics.

Are you running version 2.1? I just submitted it to the archives not
more than a couple of weeks ago. I tried to pre-draw the cards to help
speed things up a bit, but I'm afraid you'll never have Window's kinda
snappy for our Solitaire without more coding than I have time to
dedicate. The good news is the next generation of HW shouldn't run
any slower. %^)

Later,
--
Michael McCulloch

Huntsville, Alabama

HW for Solitaire?

Post by Philip McDunnou » Fri, 20 May 1994 15:20:16

[ ]

Quote:

>>There's an excellent Solitaire game for the NeXT PC with really nice looking
>>cards. I run it using a GUP VLB (2megs) on a 486DX-66/2. Something is wrong
>>in the sense that I feel I have to drag the cards from one pile to another.
>>Would getting a faster computer, or a faster graphics' card make Solitaire
>>snappy? ...

>No, not that much snappier. A PCI Pentium w/ a Diamond Viper will only
>be about 50% faster for graphics.

Well that saves me a lot of money:) 50% just won't do. Is it the graphics
card or the processor which is keeping the game sluggish?

Quote:>Are you running version 2.1? I just submitted it to the archives not
>more than a couple of weeks ago. I tried to pre-draw the cards to help
>speed things up a bit, but I'm afraid you'll never have Window's kinda
>snappy for our Solitaire without more coding than I have time to
>dedicate. The good news is the next generation of HW shouldn't run
>any slower. %^)

Yes, 2.1 is what I am using and it is far better. Now since you really can't
get any faster, then perhaps one way around this would be to have the cards
move themselves via 2 mouse points. So if you want a 2 to move to a 3, you
would click on the 2 and then the 3 and the 2 would leap over. The same would
go with subpiles. As it is it's the dragging of the beuatiful cards which
feels like lifting weights!

Anyway, it's still a really nice game.

--
Philip McDunnough                    OR     P. McDunnough (U of Toronto-stats)

[Where sheep may safely graze...]           [Where sheep bite...]

1. Help, need 68k HW info for minix68k to build dedicated minix HW

We are a 5 people with mostly HW experience who want to build a 68008 computer
to run minix.

I have patched pc-minix up to 1.5.0 on my sun, i have not yet installed it on a pc.
For our 68008 minix version we plan to buy atari-minix and start from there.
To simplify the software labour we want to design the 68008 card as atari-
compatible as possible.

I have a few questions to those of you who have looked more deeply into
minix-68k and it hw-needs.

We are thinking of building the card with the following memory map,
how does it compare with atari?

        f0000-fffff  bootprom and monitor 64Kb
        e0000-effff  i/o
        00000-dffff  RAM  (bootprom shifted to lowest address during first 8
                           cpu cycles after reset.)

I/O     68681   two serieports, our monitorprogram supports this chip
                what serialports does minix68k support?
        2797    WD floppy controller, what does minix68k support?

TIMER   What rate of clock tick is minix68k setup for and what chip does
        atari support?
SCSI    We have not really been thinking of this yet, how is it implemented
        in atari.
What memory adresses does atari use for it's periferal chips.

Can atari minix diskettes be read by any other computer than an atari,
we would like to get atari 68k src to a sun for patching and archiving.
Can a PC read the atari minix diskettes?

Can anybody supply us with the gcc 68000 crosscompiler for minix on a sun?
We do not have ftp access.

If you can help us please respond.

Bo-Erik Sandholm
TN/ETX/TT/HL                    phone +46 8 719 1658
Ericsson telecom                Fax   +46 8 719 5319
126 25 Stockholm

..!uunet!sunic!ericom!snoddas!bosse

2. NTLM error 2146893042

3. Fastest VLB video card for Solitaire