HELP: Dump problem with HP 35480A DAT Streamer

HELP: Dump problem with HP 35480A DAT Streamer

Post by Evstathios Marin » Sat, 09 Jan 1993 19:09:05

Hi,

I've got problems with the DAT Streamer HP 35480A running at NeXT machines when
working with dump/restore.

Dumping files to the streamer workes fine, but performing a restore from a dump
produces a strange behaviour. Some times it works fine, the next time I get
following error:

ST:CMD=0x8 SR_IO_STATUS=2H
Sense Key=0x0
Sense Code=0x0
Tape/Disk Read Error: I/O Error

I tried the streamer with various NeXT machines, Cube's, Mono's, Turbo Color's
and I always got the same problems with restore. When using tar to write and
read to the streamer no errors ocured.

Doe's anybody know this problem and how to solve it?

Thank you very much for your help.
--
Stati Marinos               | Phone :  +49 721 37 71 78
Gartenstr. 2                | Fax   :  +49 721 37 71 79

Registered NeXTDeveloper    |      - NeXTMail welcome -

Post by dle.. » Tue, 12 Jan 1993 01:53:46

> Hi,

> I've got problems with the DAT Streamer HP 35480A running at NeXT
machines when
> working with dump/restore.

> Dumping files to the streamer workes fine, but performing a restore from
a dump
> produces a strange behaviour. Some times it works fine, the next time I
get
> following error:

> ST:CMD=0x8 SR_IO_STATUS=2H
> Sense Key=0x0
> Sense Code=0x0
> Tape/Disk Read Error: I/O Error

> I tried the streamer with various NeXT machines, Cube's, Mono's, Turbo
Color's
> and I always got the same problems with restore. When using tar to write
and
> read to the streamer no errors ocured.

> Doe's anybody know this problem and how to solve it?

> Thank you very much for your help.
> --
> Stati Marinos               | Phone :  +49 721 37 71 78
> Gartenstr. 2                | Fax   :  +49 721 37 71 79

> Registered NeXTDeveloper    |      - NeXTMail welcome -

I've had this problem with HP DAT drives too. I've found that you can
sometimes "reset" the SCSI for the tape by executing "restore i" before
using "restore if /dev/nrst0". This causes an attempted access to the (on
my machine) non-existent Exabyte interface, and seems to be equivalent to
applying a "swift kick" to the machine. I've discovered that applying this
procedure once after rebooting the machine seems to fix things till the
next time the machine is rebooted. Give it a try.

DL
---
David Lewis
Senior Software Engineer
On contract to: Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae)