Drivers for 3COM EtherLink XL PCI under OpenStep 4.x for Intel

Drivers for 3COM EtherLink XL PCI under OpenStep 4.x for Intel

Post by David J Ha » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

I have been spending way too much time trying to get my Intel machine
up and running w/ OS 4.2, instead of programming it to prove it is a
superior development environment to my boss. I have gotten through
all the gotchas, but one, and this one is a doozy. We have bought a
whole boatload of 3COM EtherLink XL PCI cards to run as our ethernet
cards in our PCs, The nice thing about these cards is that they are
switchable 10-BaseT/100-BaseT. However, try as I might, I seem to be
unable to get the system to recognize the card. As a stopgap, I have
gone back to one of our old EtherLink III ISA cards, which the system
recognizes just fine. However, this is a less than optimal solution,
as this machine will be acting as a server for our development efforts
if I can prove the worth of the development environment, and having a
server on a 10-BaseT connection while all the clients are on 100-BaseT
connection is a rather paradoxical if not downright perverse state of
affairs...

If anyone knows of any compatible drivers for this card, I would be
very grateful if you would contact me, or leave word in this newsgroup
if you feel the answer is of general interest.

Thanks,

David

David J Harr
soldier of misfortune

"We crash your computer, so you don't have to!"

Post by Scott Va » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

Harr) writes:

> I have been spending way too much time trying to get my Intel machine
> up and running w/ OS 4.2, instead of programming it to prove it is a
> superior development environment to my boss. I have gotten through
> all the gotchas, but one, and this one is a doozy. We have bought a
> whole boatload of 3COM EtherLink XL PCI cards to run as our ethernet
> cards in our PCs, The nice thing about these cards is that they are
> switchable 10-BaseT/100-BaseT. However, try as I might, I seem to be
> unable to get the system to recognize the card. As a stopgap, I have
> gone back to one of our old EtherLink III ISA cards, which the system
> recognizes just fine. However, this is a less than optimal solution,
> as this machine will be acting as a server for our development efforts
> if I can prove the worth of the development environment, and having a
> server on a 10-BaseT connection while all the clients are on 100-BaseT
> connection is a rather paradoxical if not downright perverse state of
> affairs...

> If anyone knows of any compatible drivers for this card, I would be
> very grateful if you would contact me, or leave word in this newsgroup
> if you feel the answer is of general interest.

> Thanks,

> David

> David J Harr
> soldier of misfortune

> "We crash your computer, so you don't have to!"

These drivers are not yet available from Apple (though they should be
soon).  Keep your eye on Apple Intel Beta Drivers web-page:

http://www.next.com/NeXTanswers/NABrowse?/NEXTSTEP/Intel_Configuratio...
ormation/Drivers/4.x_Drivers/Beta

--Scott

--
This is not official NeXT/Apple stuff, so ignore me if you want.
http://www.next.com/~svail/

Drivers for 3COM EtherLink XL PCI under OpenStep 4.x for Intel

Post by Timo Hoepfn » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello Scott!

Quote:> > whole boatload of 3COM EtherLink XL PCI cards to run as our ethernet
> These drivers are not yet available from Apple (though they should be
> soon).  Keep your eye on Apple Intel Beta Drivers web-page:

> http://www.next.com/NeXTanswers/NABrowse?/NEXTSTEP/Intel_Configuratio...
> ormation/Drivers/4.x_Drivers/Beta

Any chance, that there will be a driver for the Etherlink III PCI (only
10Mbps) Combo card for NEXTSTEP 3.3 as well??? Would it be possible to
use the Openstep 4.x driver with NEXTSTEP 3.3?

Bye Timo

---