Compaq not recognizing full hard drive space

Compaq not recognizing full hard drive space

Post by Secret Agentma » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have a compaq presario 4402 and I just installed a new Maxtor Hard drive
however Windows is only recognizing 4.2 gigs as an a and d drive yet the
drive is 7 gigs.  Maxtor said I need a bios upgrade does anyone know where
to get that.  I can not find it on the compaq site.

Compaq not recognizing full hard drive space

Post by Tim Or » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Try this URL
http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/softpaq/consumer/pres4400/pres44...
Good Luck

>I have a compaq presario 4402 and I just installed a new Maxtor Hard drive
>however Windows is only recognizing 4.2 gigs as an a and d drive yet the
>drive is 7 gigs.  Maxtor said I need a bios upgrade does anyone know where
>to get that.  I can not find it on the compaq site.

1. Full Hard Drive Size Not Recognized by BIOS

I have an IBM Deskstar 45GB drive which has been functioning correctly
for many months as my master. Recently I was installing a WD 100GB
drive as a slave using EZ-Install. Half way through, when I found that
the only options were to copy the existing drive onto the new drive or
create a bootable slave, I decided to abort the install as neither
option met my requirements.

Since this happened, my BIOS only recognizes my 45GB drive as 32247MB.
(At the same time it does recognize my new drive as 94GB (which seems
OK and suggests that the BIOS - Award Asus P3V4X - is capable of
recognizing drives greater than 32GB). The confusing thing is that
Partition Magic sees the full 45GB partition (35GB used, 7 GB unused),
but still sees the drive as being 32247MB.

I can mount this drive as a slave and boot from another master and
then browse what appears to be all of the directory structure in
Windows Explorer, but then cannot access some of the directories. When
I look at the drive properties in Windows Explorer it also sees the
full 45GB drive.

I have also tried taking a full image of the entire physical drive -
the software only images the 32247MB - when usually I know it would
image the entire physical drive.

Any suggestions as to next steps (that don't cost too much to try) to
recover my drive and data would be greatly appreciated?

TIA

(Apologies for the long post)

2. Messaging not in System.Messaging Error

3. Windows XP not recognizing my hard drive

4. Config. dns on a GC for isp

5. Hard Drive not recognized by DOS or Win98, BUT....

6. Sun Shoebox

7. Windows XP does not recognize hard drive

8. Why does this give error?

9. hard drive not recognized by FDISK / WINDOWS

10. SCSI hard drive not recognized by NT setup

11. Two hard drives, the slave is not always recognized at boot up.

12. Second hard drive not recognized on power-up.

13. primary slave hard drive or second hard drive does not seem to be working