Moving Hard drive from one computer to another

Moving Hard drive from one computer to another

Post by JS » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 07:01:11

Will this work?  The hardware configuration is different on the two
machines.  I know the wrong drivers will be loaded.  However, I'm
wondering if the system will boot with limited functionality and then
I can replace the drivers.  The reason I'm even attempting this is
that I do not have the OS CD to reinstall.  Another support person
either left with the CD or broke the CD depending upon who you ask :)

Thanks.

Jim

Moving Hard drive from one computer to another

Post by Tec » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:49:59

Yes, it should work, depending on what OS you are running. Start up in
safe mode (press F8 whilst starting up windows). You should be able to
start up and take a look at the drivers you need.

hat I suggest is to inspect your hardware first on the new pc (mainly
videocard, modem/ethernet card and sound card) download the drivers
off the internet and put them on floppies. Thsi way when booting in
your new pc when widows asks for drivers you will have them ready
(because you do not have the original os cd) and will be able to
install them as you start up.

> Will this work?  The hardware configuration is different on the two
> machines.  I know the wrong drivers will be loaded.  However, I'm
> wondering if the system will boot with limited functionality and then
> I can replace the drivers.  The reason I'm even attempting this is
> that I do not have the OS CD to reinstall.  Another support person
> either left with the CD or broke the CD depending upon who you ask :)

> Thanks.

> Jim

Moving Hard drive from one computer to another

Post by Geribald » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 14:58:14

If it's windows 98/me you will need the cdrom.
If it's windows 2000/xp you will most likely not be able to boot.It will
give you an "inaccessible boot device" error.

Quote:> Will this work?  The hardware configuration is different on the two
> machines.  I know the wrong drivers will be loaded.  However, I'm
> wondering if the system will boot with limited functionality and then
> I can replace the drivers.  The reason I'm even attempting this is
> that I do not have the OS CD to reinstall.  Another support person
> either left with the CD or broke the CD depending upon who you ask :)

> Thanks.

> Jim

---

Moving Hard drive from one computer to another

Post by deyo.. » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 20:48:19

Yes, I've done it. We took a drive with Windoz98SE from an old
machine, put it in a new system ( hoping to save all files from the
old machine ). Poor drive had no idea where it was when it booted and
it took a few hours to get all the new drivers loaded, but worked
fine.

Quote:>Will this work?  The hardware configuration is different on the two
>machines.  I know the wrong drivers will be loaded.  However, I'm
>wondering if the system will boot with limited functionality and then
>I can replace the drivers.  The reason I'm even attempting this is
>that I do not have the OS CD to reinstall.  Another support person
>either left with the CD or broke the CD depending upon who you ask :)

>Thanks.

>Jim

Moving Hard drive from one computer to another

Post by JS » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:47:18

That is good news.  Thanks.  System is running NT Workstation 4.0 SP6.
 Of course, there is no Safe Mode.  I'm thinking of transferring all
cards and peripherals from the old to the new system at the same time.
 The only thing I would have to be concerned about would be integrated
sound, correct?  Would there be any other motherboard issues?  I guess
there are registry entries that will be in conflict such as the
processor type, speed ,etc.  Is this an issue?
Thanks again.

> Yes, it should work, depending on what OS you are running. Start up in
> safe mode (press F8 whilst starting up windows). You should be able to
> start up and take a look at the drivers you need.

> hat I suggest is to inspect your hardware first on the new pc (mainly
> videocard, modem/ethernet card and sound card) download the drivers
> off the internet and put them on floppies. Thsi way when booting in
> your new pc when widows asks for drivers you will have them ready
> (because you do not have the original os cd) and will be able to
> install them as you start up.

> > Will this work?  The hardware configuration is different on the two
> > machines.  I know the wrong drivers will be loaded.  However, I'm
> > wondering if the system will boot with limited functionality and then
> > I can replace the drivers.  The reason I'm even attempting this is
> > that I do not have the OS CD to reinstall.  Another support person
> > either left with the CD or broke the CD depending upon who you ask :)

> > Thanks.

> > Jim

1. primary slave hard drive or second hard drive does not seem to be working

I have installed/connected two hard drives one is 30 gb (maxtor) where
windows 98 is installed and partioned into 3 drives, however I
installed another maxtor (8gb) drive in my computer as primary slave.
My computer starts and it recognizes the primary master hard drive and
primary slave drive as my new hard drive (by the way this was give by
my friend for free).  I could access my firs drives as usual but I
could not access the hard drive which I installed although it
recognizes by an alphbabet (d:).  I tried to format the drive through
dos prompt, it does not format , it show error. anybody has any any
suggestion.  thank you

2. Password issue

3. SAP Plug & Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

4. users conected on vty

5. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers -- SAP Online Access

6. Help: Changing Icons in Hp vue 3.0

7. SAP Plug & Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

8. Metrowerks Acquires Applied Microsystems Corporation Assets

9. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

10. SAP Plug & Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

11. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

12. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives -- SAP Hard Drives for Servers -- SAP Online Access

13. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers -- SAP Online Access