Reinstalling NeXT Boot Program

Post by Jason Bro » Sun, 13 Nov 1994 02:59:27

I know I've read this topic on this group before but I don't have any of
the associated messages so I'm hoping the involved parties can easily remember
their answers.

I had installed NeXTstep 3.2 on a series of Dell computers along with DOS
partitions and all of the associated messy-dos software.

Everything was fine until some kind person upgraded a few of the machines to
DOS 6.2 and now, you guessed it, they don't offer the option of booting
NeXTstep anymore.  I'm pretty sure the drives weren't repartitioned so
if I can somehow re-install the NeXT boot program I think I'll be fine.

Does anyone have the solution?

Thanks.

--Jason Brown
Senior Software Engineer
(NeXT Mail Welcome)

Reinstalling NeXT Boot Program

Post by Jason Bro » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 04:31:15

Thanks to the folks who responed about my question regarding
re-installing the NeXT boot program. Everything's fine again.

BTW, I didn't bother to make the NeXT parition active to get it to boot
NeXTstep. What I did was use the NeXT 3.2 install floppy, boot from that
and then enter the boot command sd()mach_kernel.

This left the DOS partition active and then under NeXTstep I did
the 'disk -d /dev/rsd0a' and everything was fine.

This cut out the steps of changing the active partition back and forth
from DOS->NeXT->DOS.

Thanks again.

--Jason Brown
(NeXT Mail Welcome)

Quote:: Brown) writes:

: > I know I've read this topic on this group before but I don't have any
: of
: > the associated messages so I'm hoping the involved parties can easily
: remember
: > their answers.
: >
[...]

: Using "fdisk" under DOS make the NEXTSTEP partition the active
: partition.  Reboot the machine to bring it up in NEXTSTEP and type:

:       "disk -b /dev/rsd0a"  for a SCSI disk
: or    "disk -b /dev/rhd0a"  for an IDE disk

: You must be logged in as root to do this.

: Rory.

Post by Rory Gibs » Thu, 17 Nov 1994 08:53:02

Brown) writes:
> I know I've read this topic on this group before but I don't have any
of
> the associated messages so I'm hoping the involved parties can easily
remember
> their answers.

> I had installed NeXTstep 3.2 on a series of Dell computers along with
DOS
> partitions and all of the associated messy-dos software.

> Everything was fine until some kind person upgraded a few of the
machines to
> DOS 6.2 and now, you guessed it, they don't offer the option of
booting
> NeXTstep anymore.  I'm pretty sure the drives weren't repartitioned so
> if I can somehow re-install the NeXT boot program I think I'll be
fine.

> Does anyone have the solution?

> Thanks.

> --Jason Brown
> Senior Software Engineer
> (NeXT Mail Welcome)

Using "fdisk" under DOS make the NEXTSTEP partition the active
partition.  Reboot the machine to bring it up in NEXTSTEP and type:

        "disk -b /dev/rsd0a"  for a SCSI disk
or      "disk -b /dev/rhd0a"  for an IDE disk

You must be logged in as root to do this.

Rory.

1. NeXT Cube, NeXT Step 3.2 and external drive as boot disk

hi,

Our Cube's internal hard drive is near failure--drive makes a screeching
sound.  we are trying to use what was an external drive used for workspace
as the boot disk.  we copied the contents of the internal disk to the
external disk.  we moved the previous contents of the external disk to a
subdirectory named with the external disk's name under the old
configuration.  we disconnected the internal power feed and scsi connector
to the internal disk.  we changed the scsi id number for the external disk
to zero.  we changed the FSTAB entry of the external disk to match the
FSTAB entry of the internal disk, and we commented out the FSTAB entry of
the internal disk.

On booting the Cube in this new configuration, the boot proceeds until
attempting to mount root.  the monitor shows: "  mount: / not found
rebooting  "

at this point, the Cube goes into a booting loop always failing at this
point.  on trying to boot the Cube in single user mode, things proceed
except the Cube treats the external disk as read only.

QUESTION:  How do we properly configure our Cube to use an external hard
disk as the boot disk in multi-user mode?

thanks alot for your help and advice.  btw, please post your replies to
the newsgroup as my email address is not good until the Cube is up and
running  :)

--
brendan mcdougall
physics department

2. unknown Qbus SCSI controller?

3. How to uninstall, reinstall or update a NSE in program?

4. S/N monitoring for CCD

5. FS:Next Station & Next Monitor with Next Post Script Printer

6. contour boundaries

7. Resolved: Unable to boot into NeXTStep on NeXT Cube

8. problem w/.net and Netscape

9. Newbie Assistance Requested: Unable to boot into NeXTStep on NeXT Cube

10. NeXT boot and keyboard problem

11. NeXTSTEP 3.3 Boot Disk for NeXT?