PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by Marcelo Rodrigu » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

    Thanks to help from individuals on these news groups I was able to
install NS 3.3 on my Toshiba  Tecra  730XCDT. Now I am looking for
a PCMCIA network card for it.  I had saved a reply to a message several
 months ago to someone who was trying to use a 3C589 TP. The reply
mentioned that a device string had to be changed but did not mention
how and to what.

   My question is what PCMCIA card is known to work ( besides the
impossible to find Xircom for which drivers are available at NexTanswers.)
If  someone has been able to make the 3C589 ( of which I see many variations
)
work, what has to be done ?

  In sum, I am looking for any suggestion to hook up to my network at home
]from my notebook. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Marcelo

PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by Uli Zap » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

>  My question is what PCMCIA card is known to work ( besides the
> impossible to find Xircom for which drivers are available at NexTanswers.)

I don't know why the Xircom should be "impossible to find", but note that the
current Xircom models wil *not* work with the NeXT driver anymore; only
former models did.

with the Xircom 10/100 + Modem 56 cards (Standard & Realport). Note that it
works *only* with these cards so far, not with the pure Ethernet cards, which
is a bit of a problem because of NEXTSTEP's PCMCIA driver which doesn't allow
to make use of ethernet and modem at the same time, so the modem part is kind
of useless.

Note also that because of the 16 bit PCMCIA bus, you can't make use of the
100 Mbit speed apart of the fact that it will connect to pure 100 Mbit
networks. But the speed does not surpass a 10 Mbit card. 32 bit CardBus
cards, OTOH, don't work with NEXTSTEP and OPENSTEP.

Quote:> If someone has been able to make the 3C589 (of which I see many
> variations) work, what has to be done ?

The variations should all work fine. I use a 3CCE589ET without any problems.

To change the Auto Detect ID string, choose the 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA
Adapter (v4.03) driver in Configure.app and open the Expert Mode panel. In
the "Auto Detect IDs" line, change the Manufacturer to "MFR=3Com" and delete
the "PROD=xyz" string completely (the latter is necessary because the Product
string in the new 3Com cards contains a space which NEXTSTEP's autodetect
mechanism can't handle). Don't forget to press the Return button after that
or the Expert mode won't store your new settings!

You might also have to change the IRQ to avoid conflicts.

                Bye
                        Uli

                                (NeXTMail,Mime,ASCII) PGP on request
Lorscher Strasse 5      WWW:    www.ritual.org
D-60489 Frankfurt       Fon:    +49 (69) 9784 0007
Germany                 Fax:    +49 (69) 9784 0042

PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by H.-R. Oberha » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

: Hello,

Hello,

: [...]
:    My question is what PCMCIA card is known to work ( besides the
: impossible to find Xircom for which drivers are available at NexTanswers.)
: If  someone has been able to make the 3C589 ( of which I see many
:variations ) work, what has to be done ?

for us, after chosing the right(!) interrupt (experiment a little bit
there), any 3Com589 card did - the last one we used was a version 'D'
(iirc, it might also be 'E').

The important part is to add the 'letter' behind 589 to the drivers'
id-strings (something like manufactuerer="3Com", type="589D") in the
/private/drivers/i386/"589-driver".config directory. I don't have a
version of these notebooks available, but it was quite trivial.

Not so trivial was to find the right interrupt. With the "wrong", so
allowed ones, the card was detected but simply wouldn't work (i.e. it
wouldn't send, iirc). That was a decision between an IRQ either below or
above IRQ8 (so 3, 4, 5(used by PCIC-driver), 7, or 9, 10, 11), only one
group worked (for us); I think it were the 'lower ones' and I decided
to use '3', swapping it for the second serial port, but I'm not sure.
So experiment.

Greetings,
 Ruediger Oberhage
--
H.-R. Oberhage

      S05 V07 E88
      Universitaetsstrasse 5     Phone:  (+49) 201 / 183-2493
      D-45141 Essen, Germany     FAX:    (+49) 201 / 183-2120

PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by Henry Kopli » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

(H.-R. Oberhage) writes:

> : Hello,

> Hello,

> : [...]
> :    My question is what PCMCIA card is known to work ( besides the
> : impossible to find Xircom for which drivers are available at
NexTanswers.)
> : If  someone has been able to make the 3C589 ( of which I see many
> :variations ) work, what has to be done ?

> for us, after chosing the right(!) interrupt (experiment a little bit
> there), any 3Com589 card did - the last one we used was a version 'D'
> (iirc, it might also be 'E').

Hmmm, I may did something wrong, but I am not able to get a 589E to run.
It is some kind of 'Megahertz', up to D the cards work fine.

Henry

PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by H.-R. Oberha » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

: [...]
: Hmmm, I may did something wrong, but I am not able to get a 589E to run.
: It is some kind of 'Megahertz', up to D the cards work fine.

No, caveat emptor, my memory could play me a trick; I'm just sure a
'bunch of 589 cards' did work, not of the up to 'E' statement. For
certain I also do know it of the 'D' version, as I've put them into
to Toshibas (a Tecra 750 and a Satellite 4000) successfully.

Since I can't remember doing anything another way on any machine, it
may well be, that I didn't work with an 'E'-type.

Thanks for the notice and warning,
 Ruediger
--

Post by jollyj.. » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

> >  My question is what PCMCIA card is known to work ( besides the
> > impossible to find Xircom for which drivers are available at
NexTanswers.)

> I don't know why the Xircom should be "impossible to find", but note

that
the
> current Xircom models wil *not* work with the NeXT driver anymore;
only
> former models did.

fine
> with the Xircom 10/100 + Modem 56 cards (Standard & Realport). Note

that
it
Quote:> works *only* with these cards so far, not with the pure Ethernet

cards,
which
Quote:> is a bit of a problem because of NEXTSTEP's PCMCIA driver which

doesn't
allow
Quote:> to make use of ethernet and modem at the same time, so the modem part

is
kind

Quote:> of useless.

I posted to csn.announce that I finished the CE driver ( that is
without the modem ) and put it on peanuts.org,peak.ork and cs.tu-
berlin.de - seems that the posting didn't get through though.

It might seem now a bit confusing to see the text above with the
statement that only cards including the modem part will work. So here my
clarification:

XircomCENetworkDriver supports 10/100 Mbit Xircom credit cards WITHOUT
modem. This one is released, even though I had not much time testing.
XircomCEM/XircomRealport NetworkDriver supports the 10/100 Mbit Xircom
cards WITH modem. This one isn't released yet, cause it only runs on
port 0x300 and has to hack in the PCMCIA bridge chip, but anyone who
wants it gets a copy from me ( as Uli did ).

Even though the network chips on the card are the same ( that's why it
took only an hour to port and test the CE driver ) the PCMCIABus driver
from NeXT seems to misconfigure the I/O-Ports when you have
multifunction cards.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by Matthias Georg Imh » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Well,

I am using an E card without problems. I did not experience any problems with
the interrupt either. I use the one suggested by the card (or config?).

My only problem was to get Openstep to recognize the card as the card
identification string is different from what the configuration expects.
(the card's string is multiwords, separated by spaces. the software cannot deal
with spaces in the string. I recognize the card by the 3com label if my memory
is correct).

Quote:

> No, caveat emptor, my memory could play me a trick; I'm just sure a
> 'bunch of 589 cards' did work, not of the up to 'E' statement. For
> certain I also do know it of the 'D' version, as I've put them into
> to Toshibas (a Tecra 750 and a Satellite 4000) successfully.

---
* Matthias G.Imhof, Ph.D.                          phone: (540) 231 6004 *
* Derring Hall 4044                                fax:   (540) 231 3386 *

* Blacksburg, VA 24061-0420             http://www.geol.vt.edu/profs/mgi *
* There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark *

PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

Post by Uli Zap » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hmmm, I may did something wrong, but I am not able to get a 589E to run.
> It is some kind of 'Megahertz', up to D the cards work fine.

As I wrote, no problems whatsoever here witah an "E" card.

                Bye
                        Uli

                                (NeXTMail,Mime,ASCII) PGP on request
Lorscher Strasse 5      WWW:    www.ritual.org
D-60489 Frankfurt       Fon:    +49 (69) 9784 0007
Germany                 Fax:    +49 (69) 9784 0042

1. PCMCIA (PC Card) Network card setup woes

howdy y'all :)

I have QNX 4.22 installed on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 5000 and
I'm trying to set up my pcmcia network card (a Socket EA+, Revision E).

Does anyone *happen* to have a sysinit set up that works?

I've had it set up before (about 6 months ago) after much difficulty and
the QNX partition suddenly crashed and that was when i realized that i did
not have any of the system setup files (sysinit.X, pcmcia.X, pcmcia.cards...)
saved somewhere apart from the laptop :(

So i'm in the process of trying to resetup the network, but i think i'm
missing something somewhere...

The sysinit has these lines:
Pcmcia.cirrus -a3e0 -i5 -v&
sleep 2
PcmciaBeep &
Net &
sleep 2
nameloc &
sleep 2
netmap -f
sleep 2
Net.ether1000 -i11 -p300 -6 -R -v &

I've gone through many different combinations of port addresses and
interrupts but i still have no luck.
With each interrupt/port modification, i've been making changes to
pcmcia.cards.

The machine is setup up as node 2 and my netmap contains 2 entries.

The only files i've messed with are:
sysinit.X
pcmcia.cards
netmap
hosts

am i overlooking something?

thanks in advance for any insight you people may have :)

D.

--
=-=   what was the name of Lucifer's red twin in Battlestar Galactica?   =-=
| D. Shire, IRC and USENET addict       | eat slugs. drink tears. cry wolf.|

2. on-line form want directed to specified email

3. What PCMCIA modem cards does NS 3.3 support?

4. Simple - making browser go to home page

5. PCMCIA ethernet cards for NS 3.3

6. Lucida, embedded fonts,CDROMs

7. PCMCIA - Network Card and OPENSTEP 4.2

8. Amiga on a Token Ring?

9. 3com pcmcia network cards

10. PCMCIA network card's ethernet address, how to get ?

11. To Kees J. Bot: Notebook network cards (PCMCIA probably).

12. Laptop network PCMCIA card

13. PCMCIA network card problem