HP Vectra Upgrade problem

Post by Valarie Simps » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:23:47

I've just purchased an 2nd hand PC from my office. A HP Vectra VliSF
P3 500 with a 8.4Gb HD and 64Mb RAM and a KZM-6120 motherboard which
was working fine. I decided to upgrade the HD and memory and since
then things have gone from bad to worse.

Initially I upgraded the memory to 256mb and everthing appearred to be
fine. I then changed the orginal Maxtor HD to a Seagate ST320212A with
10Gb. I then read that the bios had to be updated to read anything
over 8Gb.

Unfortunately the floppy now appears to have stopped working. The
summary screen indicates that it has been set up and it is supposed to
be first in the boot order but nothing. I opened the PC up and changed
data cables. Still nothing so I changed floppy drives and received an
error message 'Operating system not found.'

In the setup, even though it had been set to auto, the Primary HD
indicated that the size of the HD is 0Mb. I the manually set it to
16383cyl, 16hd, 63 sectors. The LBA read 20005680. I then saved and
exited. On reboot it still would read from the floppy and the same
'Operating system not found' message came up. In the setup, the
Primary IDE had changed to 17475cyl, 15hd, 63 sectors. The LBA had
also changed. I then changed it back to no available. I then cleared
the CMOS and was able to get into Windows ME after an agonising 10
minute wait. All the setting had changed,the video resolution was not
640x800 and could not be changed. Even though the floppy was showing
in "My computer" it still would'nt work and the CD-Rom was not
showing.

I went back in the setup and chnaged the secondary master to CD first
and then Auto but is still say [None] as soon as you come out of the
advance screen. On several retries the primary has changed from Max
Capacity of 0Mb to 1653Mb. to the correct 10Gb but with the 17475cyl,
15hd, 63 sectors. During all this the floppy and CD has never work
even though I have changed both and put the original HD back in i.e
restored the PC to it's original state.

I have also reseated the Memory and changed the battery. All to no
avail. The very latest is the mouse and HD initialise, the Windows ME
screen appears for 10 minutes, I then get a black screen and a
flashing cursor for 15 minutes and then blue screen  with an Exception
OE error refferring to VNetBios(01)+ 00000B8d and VMM(OC)+ 0000058B.
And a 2nd error message "an i/o subsystem driver failed to load.
Either the .\iosubsystem subdirectory is corrupt or the system is low
on memory. System is halted."

Clearly there is a problem here. PLEASE HELP! or this box is going out
the windows.

HP Vectra Upgrade problem

Post by Mike Cast » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:29:03

Quote:>your hard drive to this. Both Promise and Maxtor make these cards.

Actually, the Maxtor cards are made by Promise.

mrc

--

    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen

HP Vectra Upgrade problem

Post by The PC Gu » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:32:23

Hello Mike:
    Thanks for setting me straight.
--
regards,
          bruce

The PC Guy
Bruce Von Deylen
South Bend, Ind. USA
Serving the computer impaired in northern
Indiana and southwest lower Michigan

E-mail: pcguy<at>attbi<dot>com

Website: http://www.geocities.com/the_pc_guy_1627/index.htm

Check out the PC Guy's message board at:

> >your hard drive to this. Both Promise and Maxtor make these cards.

> Actually, the Maxtor cards are made by Promise.

> mrc

> --

>     We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen
> fatal ("You are in a maze of twisty compiler features, all different"); --

gcc

HP Vectra Upgrade problem

Post by gradivu » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 17:37:09

the ancient Valarie Simpson is thought to have once said the following...

Quote:> I've just purchased an 2nd hand PC from my office. A HP Vectra VliSF
> P3 500 with a 8.4Gb HD and 64Mb RAM and a KZM-6120 motherboard which
> was working fine. I decided to upgrade the HD and memory and since
> then things have gone from bad to worse.

Is the Seagate set to CS?  I had a handfull of VL600s do something similar.
Jumpering MA set everyting right.

Other than that,  check out the riser board for damage(the vertical board
with FDD, IDE and RJ-45 ports).  They seem to be hot sellers on the
secondary market,  probably for a good reason.

HP Vectra Upgrade problem

Post by Valarie Simps » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 08:38:51

Thanks guy for all the suggestions. Fortunately I discovered that it
was still under warranty, so I had the HP engineers in. Day 1 - They
changed the motherboard... nothing. Day 2 - The changed the riser
card... again nothing. Day 3 - The engineer thought to change the Hard
Drive, the only thing I had'nt thought about as it'd been working fine
before the upgrade and weyhey! it's working. So now I have a new
motherboard, new riser card and a new 10Gb hard drive. Not bad for all
the grief.

My next problem however is that I still want to upgrade the processor
to a PIII 733. The processor reads, 733/256/133. I've updated the bios
but the immediate response was a series of 1-4-3-3 beeps.
Unfortunately the manual doesn't indicate what the problem is. I know
you are supposed to configure the bios to automatically detect the
processor but I don't know where and I don't know the 133 is
supported. Any assistance will be greatfully received.

1. HP Vectra RAM Upgrade

Hi,

I recently installed 64MB ram in my Vectra 486/66XM machine running NS
3.3.  It has an onboard S3 video chip.  After some hassles, I have been
able to get the system to boot in VGA mode.  I tried to use the generic
S3 driver with the mapped memory address set to 0x10000000.  The machine
goes through the initial part of the boot, but once the graphics start,
the machine hangs.  Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Thanks

Mark Jackson

2. A Portable C++ Threads Library

3. HP Vectra upgrade

4. fonts/copyright/etc.

5. HP Vectra-2940-Seagate install problem

6. A2286

7. HP Vectra 486/66XM Video Problem

8. FAQ: definition of 'home run'

9. HP Vectra XU 90 Mhz Pentium & Matrox MGA PCI /2+ problems

10. hp vectra vli8 problem

11. Problem booting new installation of QNX on HP Vectra VL/5 w/ 2.5 Gb IDE disk.

12. Problem installing qnx on hp vectra VL/5 166/Mhz Pentium PC

13. HP Vectra problems...