Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+

Post by Harry Richardso » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a Stealth with the Trio 64v+ chip, which, according to NeXT
answers, is supported by the 3.2 driver for the Stealth series.  It
displays VGA okay (when using the default config), but I can't get it to
work with any other graphics mode.

The configure app detects the card and selects the driver, but when I
start up the system again, the screen goes black after displaying the
text stuff (headed by "NeXT Mach" etc..).

I've tried altering the parameters in the config app, and I've tried
taking out all the other cards in my PC in case they conflicted, but it
still doesn't work.

Another weird problem is that NeXTSTEP works when booted with the '-v'
or 'config=Default' boot options, but doesn't work if left to start up
itself; the screen goes black right away (before the "NeXT Mach" text
bit), and it then hangs.

I don't think that the two problems are related, because the second
occurs even when using VGA.

I'd be most for any help.  I don't get to check news very often, so

Thanks.

Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+

Post by Bernhard Schol » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Another weird problem is that NeXTSTEP works when booted with the '-v'
> or 'config=Default' boot options, but doesn't work if left to start up
> itself; the screen goes black right away (before the "NeXT Mach" text
> bit), and it then hangs.

For some unknown reasons, some graphic cards can't display the boot
graphics (the spinning wheel e.g.) and hang the machine. The workaround
is to disable the boot graphics like you already did.

You can enforce the system to always boot in text-mode (the window
labeled NeXT Mach) by including BootGraphics: NO in your instance0.table
of system.config which has the same effect as typing anything at the
boot: prompt (e.g. -v or config=Default...) I believe there is a more
accurate NeXTanswres on this issue at http://www.next.com/

Best wishes,

  Boerny

--
Bernhard Scholz (IRC: Boerny)

Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+

Post by Shane Kneif » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I have a Stealth with the Trio 64v+ chip, which, according to NeXT
> answers, is supported by the 3.2 driver for the Stealth series.  It
> displays VGA okay (when using the default config), but I can't get it to
> work with any other graphics mode.

> The configure app detects the card and selects the driver, but when I
> start up the system again, the screen goes black after displaying the
> text stuff (headed by "NeXT Mach" etc..).

> I've tried altering the parameters in the config app, and I've tried
> taking out all the other cards in my PC in case they conflicted, but it
> still doesn't work.

> Another weird problem is that NeXTSTEP works when booted with the '-v'
> or 'config=Default' boot options, but doesn't work if left to start up
> itself; the screen goes black right away (before the "NeXT Mach" text
> bit), and it then hangs.

> I don't think that the two problems are related, because the second
> occurs even when using VGA.

> I'd be most for any help.  I don't get to check news very often, so

> Thanks.

I have the Stealth Video DRAM S3C868 Chipset and the same thing happens to me.  I can only boot up using the
-v parameter.  There is a new driver under development from Diamond and is to be released by the middle or end
of May.  I believe the revision for your card (if it is PCI)is 3.34 it will support all extended modes.  Do
you have NeXT 3.3 if so have you installed the Diamond update package on the NeXT Objectware CD it is newer
and supports more cards than the driver released with NeXT.  You can also download it from NeXT answers, I
don't remember the package number.  I hope this helps a little, Diamond makes a great video card, but you have
to do alot to make it work.

Shane Kneifl

Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+

Post by Claus Ko » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I have a Stealth with the Trio 64v+ chip, which, according to NeXT

>Another weird problem is that NeXTSTEP works when booted with the '-v'
>or 'config=Default' boot options, but doesn't work if left to start up
>itself; the screen goes black right away (before the "NeXT Mach" text
>bit), and it then hangs.

i have this problem with a miro12sd card on an asus-board. if you find no
better way try to turn off the PCI-TO-HOST-BURST  in the bios-setup.
this works but is far from a solution.

claus

--
     Claus Koch : Joest & Saunders             : fon    +49 30 7215296
                : interactive media production : fax    +49 30 7215308

Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+

Post by Bjarni Thor Juliusso » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi

We are having the same problem here. Harry you know about the ARK
logic chipset, it's not supported.
Check NeXTanswers.

We are witing for new driver.

Bye
Bjarni

Newsgroups: comp.sys.next.hardware
Subject: Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:56:22 +0100

[...]

Post by Andy Wa » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>For some unknown reasons, some graphic cards can't display the boot
>graphics (the spinning wheel e.g.) and hang the machine. The workaround
>is to disable the boot graphics like you already did.

>You can enforce the system to always boot in text-mode (the window
>labeled NeXT Mach) by including BootGraphics: NO in your instance0.table
>of system.config which has the same effect as typing anything at the
>boot: prompt (e.g. -v or config=Default...) I believe there is a more
>accurate NeXTanswres on this issue at http://www.next.com/

the problem is due to some conflict with the Intel Triton chipset
and the S3 chips.
i kinda like the pretty graphical boot up, but oh well *8^)
i suppose having an S3 chip is a minor inconvenience

andy

--
------------------ Dopey (Andy Wang) - NeXT or MIME mail OK -------------------

- What the hell is a chicken?  - http://space.acm.ndsu.nodak.edu/~awang/      -

Diamond Stealth 64 Trio 64V+

Post by Scott Va » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

Koch) writes:

> >I have a Stealth with the Trio 64v+ chip, which, according to NeXT

> >Another weird problem is that NeXTSTEP works when booted with the '-v'
> >or 'config=Default' boot options, but doesn't work if left to start up
> >itself; the screen goes black right away (before the "NeXT Mach" text
> >bit), and it then hangs.

> i have this problem with a miro12sd card on an asus-board. if you find
no
> better way try to turn off the PCI-TO-HOST-BURST  in the bios-setup.
> this works but is far from a solution.

> claus

The Trio 64v+ chipset was not supported in 3.2 (it wasn't even supported
in 3.3 until only a couple of months ago).  Only the "Diamond Stealth 64
VRAM" card using the way obsolete S3 964 chipset was supported.

Unless you can get the beta NS3.3 S3 Generic Display driver (NA#2070)
working under 3.2 you're not going to get it to work.

Now the other problem with the screen blanking out and the machine*
when booting.  This only occurs on machines with a Triton chipset
motherboard when an S3 based video card is present. The only work around
is to disable the boot graphics.  To do this, edit the
/usr/Devices/System.config/Instance0.table file and change the following
entry from:

        "Boot Graphics" = "YES";

        "Boot Graphics" = "No";

That's all there is to it.

--Scott

1. Diamond Stealth 64 2mb DRAM PCI and NS 3.3

After much fiddling I now have this working fine. :-)

It was down to me not installing the driver properly, ie. selecting the .pkg
from Configure.app rather than installing it via the package installer.

I was confused by Configure.app saying it had installed it successfully when
obviously it was lieing. ;-)

-Paul-

--

FYI my surname is pronounced 'sivarty' ;-)  Civ on IRC
"I'll spell potato any fu*king way I want." - Dan Quayle (Bill Hicks)

2. AutoCAD language translator needed.

3. priority_queue

4. Diamond stealth 64 vram

5. Object Oriented Design - myth and experience

6. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI & NS 3.2

7. scan lines

8. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI Supported?

9. : Will Diamond Stealth 64 work with NS

10. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM PCI with NS?

11. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM PCI with NS