Help! Adaptec 1542 drivers + a Gateway horror story

Help! Adaptec 1542 drivers + a Gateway horror story

Post by Hubert B. Hickm » Sun, 25 Apr 1993 09:23:05

I need a favor from kind soul out there.  I will have access to
the beta copy of NeXTSTEP/Intel and am putting together a machine to
run it on.  I purchased a Gateway 2000 machine (big mistake there,
but I'll save the sob story for the end of this message).

The current situation is that I have all of the parts that I need,
but due to Gateway's inability to much of anything right, I have
in my hands an Adaptec 1542B SCSI card but *without* the Adaptec user's
manual and drivers diskette.  Gateway promises delivery in "3 to 5"
days, but I will believe that when I see it.  Could someone who
is using this card send me a copy of the Adaptec drivers diskette and
(if it is not too much to ask) a copy of the manual?  I really need
to get this ball rolling and will be happy to pay FedEx shipping for you.

I'll reimburse you for copying expense too - whatever it takes!

Hubert Hickman

(402) 334-7534 (Voice)
(402) 330-8613 (Fax).

NeXTMail OK.

                    GATEWAY HORROR STORY FOLLOWS
April 6.  I ordered a 486DX2-66V from Gateway - with a 500 Meg
SCSI drive and was promised the Adaptec controller.  I did not get a
monitor and had the machine equipped with the minimal 4 Megs of RAM.
I ordered the coax Intel EtherExpress card and as is required had the
ATI Mach32 card upgraded to 2 Megs.

April 13.  The machine arrives.  It is missing one of its feet and I had
to prop it on a stack of paper.  The Ethernet card is twisted-pair.  The
SCSI controller card is an UltraStor 34F.  I called customer support
to get things straight.  The 'droid on the line issues an order for a
replacement foot (order #1) and does an RMA (#1) for the Ethernet card.
She hasn't got
a clue about what to do regarding the SCSI card problem.  She tells me
to contact my sales rep.  I then contact my sales rep.  He has no clue
why customer support would tell me to call him back.  I call back to
customer support and finally (or so I thought) talk to someone who
will straighten it out. (RMA #2)

During the next few days, a replacement foot and the Ethernet card arrive.
The foot is black and shaped differently than the white feet on the case.
Fortunately, it is the same height.

April 21.  A replacement SCSI card (finally) arrives, and lo and behold it is
yet another UltraStor 34F.  I called back customer service and according
to the person I speak with, the RMA clearly states that the card should
be an Adaptec!.  They promise to get this out ASAP. (RMA #3)

April 23.  An Adaptec 1542B does finally show up.  However, I only have
the card.  No user's manual, no drivers diskette.  I call Gateway
again and they promise to send out the manual and diskette. (order #2).

I have been calling Gateway daily since all of this has occurred to
check status and make sure that nothing has fallen through the
cracks........  I have talked with the sales rep, customer support, and
tech support. I have sent faxes to them.

How hard can it be to get something right!!!!!!!!

I would not recommend Gateway to my worst enemy.

Help! Adaptec 1542 drivers + a Gateway horror story

Post by Royce Howla » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 06:11:48

Quote:>[...]
>                    GATEWAY HORROR STORY FOLLOWS
>[...]

Well, without either contradicting or affirming this wonderful story,
I'll merely repeat something a former boss used to like to recite:
        "Price, Quality, Service -- Pick any two"
and supplement it with my own observations over time:
        "Price, Quality, Service -- Hope for one".

Welcome to the wonderful world of commodity, direct-marketed, lowest-
common-denominator hardware!  :~)
--
Royce Howland, DKW Systems Corp. | "And since OS/2 2.0 is a 32-bit
Everything is IMHO               |  operating system, programs are

or kakwa!atlantis!splunge!royce  |  too."          -ad for OS/2 2.0

Post by Gregory Youngblo » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 06:16:15

> >[...]
> >                    GATEWAY HORROR STORY FOLLOWS
> >[...]

> Well, without either contradicting or affirming this wonderful story,
> I'll merely repeat something a former boss used to like to recite:
>       "Price, Quality, Service -- Pick any two"
> and supplement it with my own observations over time:
>       "Price, Quality, Service -- Hope for one".

> Welcome to the wonderful world of commodity, direct-marketed, lowest-
> common-denominator hardware!  :~)

Don't let a few horror stories scare people about Intel based hardware..
there are a lot of quality products out there, Gateway has had a long
reputation of problems, as havea a few other 'name' brand systems out there.

The Adaptec is a very slick card, albeit with A LOT of jumpers for a LOT of
different features.. it also has to be able to be configured to work with other
hardware in systems.

One thing to remember about Intel based computers...  For such a standard
platform, there aren't any true standards.

For example:  The adaptec scsi has a 50 pin centronics femail adapter for its
external scsi interface.  Future domain (another scsi controller) uses a 50
pin high density connector.  Still another controller uses DB25 connectors.

     Specializing in high performance 486 computer systems for NeXTSTEP!

Saint Paul, MN 55106              |

Post by Peter Kr » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 17:22:34

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 93 21:16:15 CDT

> > >[...]
> > >                    GATEWAY HORROR STORY FOLLOWS
> > >----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >[...]

> > Well, without either contradicting or affirming this wonderful story,
> > I'll merely repeat something a former boss used to like to recite:
> >       "Price, Quality, Service -- Pick any two"
> > and supplement it with my own observations over time:
> >       "Price, Quality, Service -- Hope for one".

> > Welcome to the wonderful world of commodity, direct-marketed, lowest-
> > common-denominator hardware!  :~)

> Don't let a few horror stories scare people about Intel based hardware..
> there are a lot of quality products out there, Gateway has had a long
> reputation of problems, as havea a few other 'name' brand systems out there.

I bought mine through Dell. There have been a fair number of screw-ups,
but the hardware itself is good, and Dell is doing a pretty incredible
job supporting its customers. Gateway would have been cheaper, but my
decision was made the last time I called them and got put on hold for
15 minutes. I hung up and never called back.

In contrast, I almost always get a live person within a minute at Dell.
If I'm looking for a particular person, I may need to leave a message,
but that's acceptable. Once I called twice within about 15 minutes...
the second person to answer the phone had the log of my first call on
their screen and knew what I had tried. It's very impressive (even if
a little embarassing at times :^). Best of all it's not hard to get to
someone who acts like they do care about your problem.

Dell will be shipping NS/FIP preinstalled, which should also help
eliminate confusion. But support for NS will be a challenge. It will
be interesting to see how they do.
---------------
Peter Kron                                          P.O. Box 51022
Corona Design, Inc.                         Seattle, WA 98115-1022

Help! Adaptec 1542 drivers + a Gateway horror story

Post by Glenn Re » Thu, 29 Apr 1993 08:23:15

Can somebody Email me the original message for this thread?  It never
made it to our site.

We have had nightmarish problems with our Gateway, too, and I'd like to
compare notes.

--

 RightBrain Software            415-326-2974 (NeXTfax 326-2977)
 Palo Alto, California          Electronic Frontier Foundation, member #054

Help! Adaptec 1542 drivers + a Gateway horror story

Post by M Carli » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 23:35:19

writes:

Quote:> The Adaptec is a very slick card, albeit with A LOT of jumpers for a LOT
> of different features.. it also has to be able to be configured to work
> with other hardware in systems.

That was true of the (now discontinued) B series. The new C series is
configurable in software (and a bit faster).

M Carling
President, Bay Area NeXT Group