Help with daisy-chained Western Digital Drives

Help with daisy-chained Western Digital Drives

Post by Monte Kalisc » Fri, 01 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I helped a friend daisy chain two 1 GB WD drives in his computer last
night.  He has a Gateway 2000 P5-90 with Enhanced IDE Controllers.
He is running Windows 95.  When he turns on his computer, the CMOS sees
the drives, but Windows 95 doesn't see the second drive until he reboots
the machine.  For some reason, after rebooting Windows sees both drives.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so (or if not), do you have any
suggestions??  What would cause this sort of malfunction?

Thanks for your help, in advance.
Monte Kalisch

P.S. For the benefit of other readers, could you please post to the
newsgroups (and copy to mail).

Help with daisy-chained Western Digital Drives

Post by Bill Foot » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Some machines definitely can be too fast to detect Disk drives reliably -
 some BIOSes have a start-up delay option to cover this - my "Blue
Lightening" system, with a "Mr.BIOS" does

> > >I helped a friend daisy chain two 1 GB WD drives in his computer last
> > >night.  He has a Gateway 2000 P5-90 with Enhanced IDE Controllers.
> > >He is running Windows 95.  When he turns on his computer, the CMOS sees
> > >the drives, but Windows 95 doesn't see the second drive until he reboots
> > >the machine.  For some reason, after rebooting Windows sees both drives.

> > >Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so (or if not), do you have any
> > >suggestions??  What would cause this sort of malfunction?

> > >Thanks for your help, in advance.
> > >Monte Kalisch

> > >P.S. For the benefit of other readers, could you please post to the
> > >newsgroups (and copy to mail).

> > If this happens on a Power up but  not on a Reset it could be his
> > computer is too fast, you may need to put in a delay on boot up before it
> > checks the hard drives.

> How does one go about doing this?  The computer could be too fast, but I find that somewhat
> difficult to believe.  Too fast?  (They could sell a lot of computers that way! 8-)  Seriously,
> thanks for your note.  Do you know how we'd change this to help make the drives work together?

> Thanks,
> Monte Kalisch

Bill Foote,                        +44 (0)1734-318439 (Voice, DDI)
Applications & Advanced Computing, +44 (0)118-931-8439 from April 96
Computer Services Centre,
The University of Reading,         +44 (0)1734-753094 (Telefax)
P.O. Box 220,                      +44 (0)118-975-3094 from April 96
Whiteknights,