Problem using SCSI CD-ROM with NeXTstation

Problem using SCSI CD-ROM with NeXTstation

Post by Rich Marshal » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a NeXT Colorstation. I am trying to load the 3.3 release of
NeXTstep and the Y2K patch via CD-ROM.

I have tried three SCSI CD-ROM machines now, and I receive the same
error during the boot process:

so (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd state:10 scsi status 0x2 (The number in
parenthesis at the beginning changes with each setting (except 0 and 7,
which produce parity errors), but the rest of the message is the same. I
tried all settings on all three CD-ROM readers with the same results.

What does this mean? Is this something I can fix myself, or do I need to
ship the hardware to somewhere for review/repair?

On the CD-ROM readers, the 2x and busy lights go on during boot and when
I insert a CD-ROM, but no icon ever appears on my desktop. Consequently,
I cannot access the information on the CD-ROMs.

I swapped out the cables and terminator, but that didn't fix the
problem.

I assume that since I have tried three different CD-ROM readers, it is a
problem with the NeXT slab.

How can this problem be resolved? If there is no easy (or inexpensive)
fix to this problem, can I simply change the date in the NeXT Mach
Operating system to avoid the problem? If so, how do I do this? Changing
the date in preferences doesn't seem to affect the date on my files.

Thanks!

Karen Marshall

1. Using an NEC CDR-25BJ CD-ROM with nextstation.

I have just purchased a new, NEC CDR-25BJ CD-ROM drive.
This is a cheap, slow, portable drive.

But I am hoping to get this thing working with my
nextstation, so that I can use it occasionally to
upgrade the system software.

Just plugging it in doesn't work. SCSIInquirer can make
the disc spin, but it reports "no device".

Any advice?

Thanks.

Tim
--

Dept. of Economics,  Princeton University,  Princeton, NJ 08544

2. Unbuffered echoless input in djgpp.

3. SCSI CD-R or CD-RW + EIDE CD-ROM

4. TFX...?

5. CD-ROM Jukebox, CD-ROM exchanger for 100, or more cds

6. Printing numerical results w/ plots

7. Problem with SCSI CD-ROM and HD

8. Q: About RealPlayer

9. problem: accessing yamaha SCSI CD-ROM in windows 98

10. scsi cd-rom problem

11. HELP: IBM SCSI CD-ROM has problem installing driver in DOS...