internal/external CD-ROM, '040 turbo upgrade

internal/external CD-ROM, '040 turbo upgrade

Post by Steve Rik » Wed, 14 Oct 1992 06:04:53

Is it possible to obtain an internal cdrom drive for the NeXTcube?  The only
option our campus microcomputer center has is the external.

Given my choice, I would like to pull the floptical drive entirely, and just
replace it with either the 2.88MB floppy disk or the cdrom drive, preferably
the latter.  Is this at all possible?

Also, my cube has one of the first '040 boards in it, I'm assuming therefore
that it's 25MHz.  Is there an upgrade path to migrate to the 33MHz?

cheers,
sr.
--
|| Steve Rikli             |||  Visualization Lab               ||

|| (409) 845-3465          |||  College Station, TX  77843-3137 ||

internal/external CD-ROM, '040 turbo upgrade

Post by Robert C Duva » Wed, 14 Oct 1992 12:35:09

I have talked to both NeXT and NeXTConnection and neither offers an
internal CD-ROM drive.  In fact, the drive that NeXT makes has a larger
footprint than the cube!

rcd

internal/external CD-ROM, '040 turbo upgrade

Post by Mark Adl » Wed, 14 Oct 1992 13:49:28

Quote:>> CD-ROM drive.  In fact, the drive that NeXT makes has a larger
>> footprint than the cube!

Well, it's not *that* big.  It would take two side-by-side to be
(slightly) larger than the footprint of a cube.  The dimensions are
about seven inches by 12.75 inches, so two would be about 14x13
inches, and the cube is 12x12 inches.

Though I agree that the thing is perhaps a little oversized.  It
would be nice if NeXT put the floppy and CD slots on the monitor ...

mark adler

Post by Ryan J Kuce » Thu, 15 Oct 1992 01:48:46

Quote:(Steve Rikli) writes:
> Also, my cube has one of the first '040 boards in it, I'm assuming
therefore
> that it's 25MHz.  Is there an upgrade path to migrate to the 33MHz?

I just got my turbo upgrade for my cube.  I don't remember the item
number, it took me awhile to actually get it.  It's a service part.  I got
the item number from next.  Havein the turbo with the dimension, makes
things a lot quicker!

Ryan Kucera

Post by Garance A. Drose » Thu, 15 Oct 1992 12:25:16

> Is it possible to obtain an internal cdrom drive for the NeXTcube?

Not that I know of.

Quote:> Given my choice, I would like to pull the floptical drive entirely,

Presumably you mean your optical drive, the drive that came with the
original NeXTcube.  A "floptical" is a different medium, which is closer to
being a 2.88meg floppy disk than a optical drive.

Quote:> and just replace it with either the 2.88MB floppy disk or the cdrom
> drive, preferably the latter.  Is this at all possible?

If you get your service provider to play around with parts, you can replace
your optical drive with a 2.88meg floppy drive.  We did it for someone here
at RPI, whose optical drive just plain died.  To do it "right" isn't exactly
cheap, because you end up having to buy a whole bunch of parts from NeXT.  I
forget the exact details, but I do remember that it ends up costing more
than (I personally think) it was worth.

--

ITS Systems Programmer            (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;           Troy NY    USA

internal/external CD-ROM, '040 turbo upgrade

Post by Richard Till » Fri, 16 Oct 1992 15:47:34

Quote:>Well, it's not *that* big.  It would take two side-by-side to be
>(slightly) larger than the footprint of a cube.  The dimensions are
>about seven inches by 12.75 inches, so two would be about 14x13
>inches, and the cube is 12x12 inches.
>Though I agree that the thing is perhaps a little oversized.  It
>would be nice if NeXT put the floppy and CD slots on the monitor ...

Sun's is 9 5/8 x 10 3/8
HP's  is 8     x  9
--
This space is not blank!

Post by Scott Turn » Sat, 17 Oct 1992 18:19:32

Quote:Lowenstein) writes:

|> Yes, but that was merely a packaging decision.  The drive mechanism itself
|> is pretty much standard half-high 5.25" form factor.  Look at a Sun
|> CD-ROM drive if you want to see something with the same footprint as
|> a NeXT Cube.  Or look at a NEC CDR-74, which fits nicely on top of a cube.
The "internal" version of the NEC CDR-74 is the CDR-84. The CDR-74 is
actually a CDR-84 in a NEC supplied external enclosure. The Internal model
is about $100 cheaper.

Scotty

1. Question on two Turbo '040 and regular '040 board in cube

It's not known what happens if you put a NeXTbus card in the same machine as
two system boards. I'd be interested to see what happens.

This combo, at least a non-turbo 040 board plus an 030 board, is known to
work, but YMMV.

.. but if you add this, your system won't work properly because you will have
two NBICs in one system.

I would try the 040 Turbo and the 030 and get that working. If it doesn't,
try the non-Turbo. Then add the ND, but if you blow it up, don't blame me :)

--
James MacDonald; Acorn/NeXT/Rush

Spammers - you WILL lose your network access: guaranteed.

2. Printer-Driver for Epson Stylus 800

3. External case for an internal CD-ROM

4. wtb: cd-r driver for SunOS

5. cd-rom won't recognize data cd-rom's

6. StrongARM on APEX video board

7. "Next Color Turbo 33" - do they all have CD-ROM's?

8. old software "Dr. Shrink"

9. Iomega Hotburn's UDF Packet Writer freezes up my Internal CD-ROM

10. New internal CD Rom in NeXT CD Rom enclosure

11. External 12 volt power adapter for external HP CD-ROM drive wanted.

12. No more non-turbo 040 upgrades!!?

13. HELP Upgrading 030 to 040 Turbo (Exception #5)