Baffled by a hard drive

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by AT&T Broadban » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:56:11



Hello,

I just did an upgrade to my home system and I have been having trouble with
my secondary IDE drive ever since.  Here's the deal...

The original system  was a PII-350 with 2 hard drives - the primary is a
40GB Maxtor Model #94098U8 and the secondary is a 9GB Seagate  Medalist Pro
9140.  These 2 drives have coexisted in my system for the last 6 months.
Prior to the rebuild I moved all critical data to the 9GB drive.

Over the weekend I removed the PII motherboard and replace it, the processor
and the memory with a 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird on an Iwill KK266
motherboard with 512MB of RAM.  When I began reinstallation of the saoftware
I built the system with just the 40GB drive in it and started with a fresh
installation of Win2K.  Everthing went perfectly with the installation.
After getting Office 2000 and a couple other pieces of software installed I
decided it was time to install the 9GB drive to get at my data.  I
reconnected it a rebooted.  When the system came up everything looked normal
and I was able to go through the login as I would normally.  Then just about
the time I would expect the system to be done loading it simply rebooted.  I
double checked the drive connections, jumpers etc and found nothing out of
place.  Every restart gets to the same point and it reboots.  When I remove
the drive the system performs normally again.

I have tried removing both of the CDROM drives thinking that maybe the
system was running out of power but that didn't help.  I actually have 2
fewer cards in the expansion slots now than I did before the rebuild.  I did
not move the game port card or the Voodoo 2 card into the new system.

When I put the drive into another system with a PII450 in it and configured
the drive to be the slave it worked fine.

I am stumped.  Any ideas?  Hate to think I may need to find another method
of getting at the over 8GB of data on that drive in order to move it.

TIA
Bandy

 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by kon » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:11:45




Quote:>Hello,

>I just did an upgrade to my home system and I have been having trouble with
>my secondary IDE drive ever since.  Here's the deal...

>The original system  was a PII-350 with 2 hard drives - the primary is a
>40GB Maxtor Model #94098U8 and the secondary is a 9GB Seagate  Medalist Pro
>9140.  These 2 drives have coexisted in my system for the last 6 months.
>Prior to the rebuild I moved all critical data to the 9GB drive.

>Over the weekend I removed the PII motherboard and replace it, the processor
>and the memory with a 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird on an Iwill KK266
>motherboard with 512MB of RAM.  When I began reinstallation of the saoftware
>I built the system with just the 40GB drive in it and started with a fresh
>installation of Win2K.  Everthing went perfectly with the installation.
>After getting Office 2000 and a couple other pieces of software installed I
>decided it was time to install the 9GB drive to get at my data.  I
>reconnected it a rebooted.  When the system came up everything looked normal
>and I was able to go through the login as I would normally.  Then just about
>the time I would expect the system to be done loading it simply rebooted.  I
>double checked the drive connections, jumpers etc and found nothing out of
>place.  Every restart gets to the same point and it reboots.  When I remove
>the drive the system performs normally again.

>I have tried removing both of the CDROM drives thinking that maybe the
>system was running out of power but that didn't help.  I actually have 2
>fewer cards in the expansion slots now than I did before the rebuild.  I did
>not move the game port card or the Voodoo 2 card into the new system.

>When I put the drive into another system with a PII450 in it and configured
>the drive to be the slave it worked fine.

>I am stumped.  Any ideas?  Hate to think I may need to find another method
>of getting at the over 8GB of data on that drive in order to move it.

>TIA
>Bandy

I'd still suspect the power supply.  What supply are you using, is it
the supply from the old system, probably 250W or less?

The CDROMs you disconnected hardly draw anything when idle, and not
connecting the voodoo2 doesn't really matter so much since you are
still powering video.

Can you decrease the clock speed as a temporary measure, just to see
if that decreases power consumption enough to pass the point where it
resets itself?

Dave

 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by ~misfit » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:48:52




> I'd still suspect the power supply.  What supply are you using, is it
> the supply from the old system, probably 250W or less?

> The CDROMs you disconnected hardly draw anything when idle, and not
> connecting the voodoo2 doesn't really matter so much since you are
> still powering video.

> Can you decrease the clock speed as a temporary measure, just to see
> if that decreases power consumption enough to pass the point where it
> resets itself?

Or could the drive be incompatable with the interface/BIOS settings? Or, and
I'm not sure about this, is the fsb too fast? That affects the IDE channel
speed doesn't it? Prolly talking through a hole in my **** there. I'd check
the BIOS first, check it's configured correctly, autodetect for primary
slave or whatever.
--
~misfit~
 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 15:09:12


i think you 9 gig seagate isnt udma 66 so the performes of the 40 gig drive
will be lower
i hat that to
30 gig maxtor drive udma 66 as master and a 4.3 maxtor udma 33 as slave if i
connected the 4.3 gig the 30 gig droppen down by 50%
conenct your 9 gig to the seconedarie e-ide channel


Quote:> Hello,

> I just did an upgrade to my home system and I have been having trouble
with
> my secondary IDE drive ever since.  Here's the deal...

> The original system  was a PII-350 with 2 hard drives - the primary is a
> 40GB Maxtor Model #94098U8 and the secondary is a 9GB Seagate  Medalist
Pro
> 9140.  These 2 drives have coexisted in my system for the last 6 months.
> Prior to the rebuild I moved all critical data to the 9GB drive.

> Over the weekend I removed the PII motherboard and replace it, the
processor
> and the memory with a 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird on an Iwill KK266
> motherboard with 512MB of RAM.  When I began reinstallation of the
saoftware
> I built the system with just the 40GB drive in it and started with a fresh
> installation of Win2K.  Everthing went perfectly with the installation.
> After getting Office 2000 and a couple other pieces of software installed
I
> decided it was time to install the 9GB drive to get at my data.  I
> reconnected it a rebooted.  When the system came up everything looked
normal
> and I was able to go through the login as I would normally.  Then just
about
> the time I would expect the system to be done loading it simply rebooted.
I
> double checked the drive connections, jumpers etc and found nothing out of
> place.  Every restart gets to the same point and it reboots.  When I
remove
> the drive the system performs normally again.

> I have tried removing both of the CDROM drives thinking that maybe the
> system was running out of power but that didn't help.  I actually have 2
> fewer cards in the expansion slots now than I did before the rebuild.  I
did
> not move the game port card or the Voodoo 2 card into the new system.

> When I put the drive into another system with a PII450 in it and
configured
> the drive to be the slave it worked fine.

> I am stumped.  Any ideas?  Hate to think I may need to find another method
> of getting at the over 8GB of data on that drive in order to move it.

> TIA
> Bandy

 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by Ron Reaug » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 17:30:09



>i think you 9 gig seagate isnt udma 66 so the performes of the 40 gig drive
>will be lower

Nope.

Quote:>i hat that to
>30 gig maxtor drive udma 66 as master and a 4.3 maxtor udma 33 as slave if
i
>connected the 4.3 gig the 30 gig droppen down by 50%

No,  there is no dropdown in performance.

>conenct your 9 gig to the seconedarie e-ide channel


>> Hello,

>> I just did an upgrade to my home system and I have been having trouble
>with
>> my secondary IDE drive ever since.  Here's the deal...

>> The original system  was a PII-350 with 2 hard drives - the primary is a
>> 40GB Maxtor Model #94098U8 and the secondary is a 9GB Seagate  Medalist
>Pro
>> 9140.  These 2 drives have coexisted in my system for the last 6 months.
>> Prior to the rebuild I moved all critical data to the 9GB drive.

>> Over the weekend I removed the PII motherboard and replace it, the
>processor
>> and the memory with a 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird on an Iwill KK266
>> motherboard with 512MB of RAM.  When I began reinstallation of the
>saoftware
>> I built the system with just the 40GB drive in it and started with a
fresh
>> installation of Win2K.  Everthing went perfectly with the installation.
>> After getting Office 2000 and a couple other pieces of software installed
>I
>> decided it was time to install the 9GB drive to get at my data.  I
>> reconnected it a rebooted.  When the system came up everything looked
>normal
>> and I was able to go through the login as I would normally.  Then just
>about
>> the time I would expect the system to be done loading it simply rebooted.
>I
>> double checked the drive connections, jumpers etc and found nothing out
of
>> place.  Every restart gets to the same point and it reboots.  When I
>remove
>> the drive the system performs normally again.

>> I have tried removing both of the CDROM drives thinking that maybe the
>> system was running out of power but that didn't help.  I actually have 2
>> fewer cards in the expansion slots now than I did before the rebuild.  I
>did
>> not move the game port card or the Voodoo 2 card into the new system.

>> When I put the drive into another system with a PII450 in it and
>configured
>> the drive to be the slave it worked fine.

>> I am stumped.  Any ideas?  Hate to think I may need to find another
method
>> of getting at the over 8GB of data on that drive in order to move it.

>> TIA
>> Bandy

 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by Clar » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:58:04


Well, I might just throw out a couple of things.

Does your primary hard drive have more than one partition?  If it does, the
smaller drive will replace the D: drive and if you have any essential info
on the original D: drive, it may not be able to find it.

Do you have both drives on the same power cable?  You might try putting each
one on a separate cable from the power supply.

Have you tried running the small drive on the secondary IDE channel (reset
jumpers) to see if it would work there.  I am assuming you meant slave
instead of secondary, but if you are running it on the secondary channel,
you might set it to slave and run it on the primary.  Make sure the primary
drive is set to master.

And, as was mentioned, is the bios seeing the drive?

Clark


Quote:> Hello,

> I just did an upgrade to my home system and I have been having trouble
with
> my secondary IDE drive ever since.  Here's the deal...

> The original system  was a PII-350 with 2 hard drives - the primary is a
> 40GB Maxtor Model #94098U8 and the secondary is a 9GB Seagate  Medalist
Pro
> 9140.  These 2 drives have coexisted in my system for the last 6 months.
> Prior to the rebuild I moved all critical data to the 9GB drive.

> Over the weekend I removed the PII motherboard and replace it, the
processor
> and the memory with a 1.2Ghz Athlon Thunderbird on an Iwill KK266
> motherboard with 512MB of RAM.  When I began reinstallation of the
saoftware
> I built the system with just the 40GB drive in it and started with a fresh
> installation of Win2K.  Everthing went perfectly with the installation.
> After getting Office 2000 and a couple other pieces of software installed
I
> decided it was time to install the 9GB drive to get at my data.  I
> reconnected it a rebooted.  When the system came up everything looked
normal
> and I was able to go through the login as I would normally.  Then just
about
> the time I would expect the system to be done loading it simply rebooted.
I
> double checked the drive connections, jumpers etc and found nothing out of
> place.  Every restart gets to the same point and it reboots.  When I
remove
> the drive the system performs normally again.

> I have tried removing both of the CDROM drives thinking that maybe the
> system was running out of power but that didn't help.  I actually have 2
> fewer cards in the expansion slots now than I did before the rebuild.  I
did
> not move the game port card or the Voodoo 2 card into the new system.

> When I put the drive into another system with a PII450 in it and
configured
> the drive to be the slave it worked fine.

> I am stumped.  Any ideas?  Hate to think I may need to find another method
> of getting at the over 8GB of data on that drive in order to move it.

> TIA
> Bandy

 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by Kooo » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 23:09:31




Quote:>Hello,

>I just did an upgrade to my home system and I have been having trouble with
>my secondary IDE drive ever since.  

It sounds like the drive is not the problem. Have you tried running
only this drive in the system?

Quote:> just about
>the time I would expect the system to be done loading it simply rebooted.

I've seen an embedded NT system do something very similar in a
laboratory. Every time it does, I tighten up the power connections to
it, and it works again for a while. One day I'll fix it right ;-)

Quote:>I have tried removing both of the CDROM drives  but that didn't help.  I have 2
>fewer cards in the expansion slots now than I did before the rebuild.  I did
>not move the game port card or the Voodoo 2 card into the new system.

The CD drives (unless you're spinning a disk) draw verrrrry little
power. However that new Athlon chip is quite hungry! I have to agree
with the other poster who speculated on the relative merits of the
power supply. The older supplies are 486 and Pentium holdovers. I'd
bet that getting a new supply will solve this problem.

Quote:>When I put the drive into another system with a PII450 in it and configured
>the drive to be the slave it worked fine.

Well, there you go . . .

Good Luck!

koool~

 
 
 

Baffled by a hard drive

Post by Nick Coon » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 08:27:59


Hi Clark!

Quote:> Well, I might just throw out a couple of things.
> Does your primary hard drive have more than one partition?  If it does, the
> smaller drive will replace the D: drive and if you have any essential info
> on the original D: drive, it may not be able to find it.

        I think he said he was running Windows2000, which means this wouldn't
necessarily be true since the OS assigns drive letters differently than
they are assigned in DOS/Win9x/WinME.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Website : http://www.dcs-home.com |    Phone :             480.858.0429
ICQ #   : 96103473                | Location :           Tempe, AZ  USA
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 
 
 

1. primary slave hard drive or second hard drive does not seem to be working

I have installed/connected two hard drives one is 30 gb (maxtor) where
windows 98 is installed and partioned into 3 drives, however I
installed another maxtor (8gb) drive in my computer as primary slave.
My computer starts and it recognizes the primary master hard drive and
primary slave drive as my new hard drive (by the way this was give by
my friend for free).  I could access my firs drives as usual but I
could not access the hard drive which I installed although it
recognizes by an alphbabet (d:).  I tried to format the drive through
dos prompt, it does not format , it show error. anybody has any any
suggestion.  thank you


2. Newbie loop question

3. SAP Plug & Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

4. Looking for hardware @ cheap prices?

5. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers -- SAP Online Access

6. Netware 4.10 Server Disconnect Problems

7. SAP Plug & Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

8. Need hints on getting SB16 w/Creative Labs 4x IDE CDROM to work

9. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

10. SAP Plug & Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

11. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers - SAP Online Access

12. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives -- SAP Hard Drives for Servers -- SAP Online Access

13. SAP Plug and Play Hard Drives - SAP Hard Drives for Servers -- SAP Online Access