install second HD

Post by ian mar » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

hello guys,
just want to ask if there is any way that i can assign a drive
(letter) to my second hard drive.  When I install my second hard drive
with my current w/ partitions, the drive assignments move up and the
program locations will now be different.

thank you very much,

ian mark

install second HD

Post by Gary Whit » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> hello guys,
> just want to ask if there is any way that i can assign a drive
> (letter) to my second hard drive.  When I install my second hard drive
> with my current w/ partitions, the drive assignments move up and the
> program locations will now be different.

> thank you very much,

> ian mark

When you install the new HD Fdisk it BUT make it an EXTENDED partition
and have one or more logical drives created in that extended partition.
If the new HD has no PRIMARY partition it will get drive letters that
are after all the letters on your present HD so the present HD letters
will not change.

Once in a while Fdisk balks but try it again.  It will eventually work.

--
Gary White
Lansing, Michigan, USA

ICQ# 575452

1. Installing new HD as second drive problems

I just bought a new HD and when i install it, my computer will do a
hard boot about 30 seconds after the windows login prompt appears.  I
am trying to do it using my primary IDE ribbon that has two ports.
The one on the end goes to the old master drive and the middle port
goes to new slave HD.  I've tried disconnecting my secondary IDE
ribbon from the CD drives and using it only for the new HD but that
still fails.  I've also tried a different combination of jumper
settings includeing cable select.

The one thing thats constant is that whenever the settings or
configurations allow my drive to be seen by my OS, the system does a
hard boot after 30 seconds.  My computer operates fine when the new
drive is disconnected..

any thoughts?
 below are the specs..

DELL Dimension T 750
Pentium III
384 MB RAM
Windows XP
Old HD - 20 GB Western Digital
New HD - 60 GB Maxtor
2 IDE ports on the motherboard, both ribbons set up with master/slave
ports

-THANKS
Bernie

2. WTS: Sun E450, E4500 (really low prices!!)

3. Installing QNX on second HD?

4. AuctionBoard Personal Edition

5. Can NeXT motherboard damage HD? (take two)

6. Wanted: Janus 2.0 Developer package

7. Sysadmin help needed w/second HD in black hardware

8. Anyone else besides Oracle in Boston area for training?

9. Mounting a second internal HD

10. Can you add a second internal HD to a mono turbo station?

11. SECOND HD ON NEXTSTEP3.3

12. NSfIP Boot from second HD with 1024bytes/sec ?

13. Second HD not recognised by WinXP