Using Wingate on a 2 PC LAN, client can't ping Host - solutions??

Using Wingate on a 2 PC LAN, client can't ping Host - solutions??

Post by Paul Dod » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I used to use Wingate and always got ping timeouts even though most other
things seemed to work.  When I switched to SyGate pinging started working
and the required level of internet insider knowledge went way way down.

>Hi, can anyone help.  I'm a programmer, but inexperienced with
>hardware/networks.

>I have only 2 PC's, connected with 3-Com Ethernet cards and (I think)
>twisted pair cable.  This LAN works fine for File and Printer Sharing
>(Win'98 OS).  I want both machines to be able to share a modem for internet
>access.  (Dial up to ISP on standard phone line).  The modem and Internet
>Explorer 4 and MS Outlook Express all work fine on the Host machine, no
>problemo.

>I have just installed Wingate (lite), read all the on-line help, and have
>followed
>it to the letter, checked and re-checked all the settings, but I find that
>the Wingate host gets a "time out" response when pinging the client (though
>it pings my ISP OK).  The client gets an "unsuccessful" response when
>pinging the host.

>I have enabled DNS on the host, and have configured the TCP/IP settings for
>both host and client, all according to the Wingate doco.  I have configured
>Internet Explorer 4 and MS Outlook Express on the client, first using
>Wingate's supplied wizard, and, when that didn't work, checking and
>adjusting according to the step-by-step instructions in Wingate doco.
Still
>no joy.

>Can anyone suggest where the problem is likely to be?  Does it sound like
>the DNS is wrong?  Or TCP/IP settings on host, or client?  I think probably
>the latter, but what do I know?

>We also had IPX protocol on both machines already, and I have not disabled
>this.  I added NetBEUI, just in case this was the missing link.  Could
these
>additional protocols be the problem?

>If anyone is kind enough to help, please e-mail me and I can send you a
Word

Post by Robin Brightam » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Paul Dod » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The Wingate help file says you can't ping from a client to anywhere outside
of the local network.  You will either get a timeout or connection could not
be made.

ne