Unable to set default network protocol on client machines - Default Protocol checkbox disabled

Unable to set default network protocol on client machines - Default Protocol checkbox disabled

Post by Bruce E. Carawa » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I am administering a small (< 20 clients) NT network that was recently
converted from Netware.  All the client machines are running either Win95 or
Win98.

When we converted from Netware, we removed all but the MS Windows Networking
client and installed only TCP/IP as the available network protocol.
Everything has worked fine except that one of applications used in the
company has seen some degradation in its performance.  This third-party
application was originally written for Novell, but has been ported to NT.

In our attempts to isolate the cause for this degradation, we have been
working with the company that developed the application and their technical
staff.  Comparing our installation with other installations of the same
application on NT, it has been determined that other installations have the
MS provided IPX/SPX compatible protocol installed (in addition to TCP/IP) on
each workstation.  In these other installations, the IPX/SPX protocol has
been set as the default protocol (i.e., the "Set this protocol to be default
protocol" checkbox found on the Advanced tab of the protocol properties
dialog is checked).  I've attempted to emulate this but have run into a
problem.  I can add the IPX/SPX protocol, but when I attempt to set this as
the default protocol, I find the checkbox disabled (and unchecked).  Looking
at the same checkbox for the TCP/IP protocol, I find it also disabled, but
checked.

How do I go about re-enabling this checkbox so that I can reset the default
protocol from TCP/IP to IPX/SPX?

TIA,

- Bruce

Bruce E. Caraway
SIG, Inc.
25307 I-45N
Bldg 4, Suite 101A
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Unable to set default network protocol on client machines - Default Protocol checkbox disabled

Post by Eric Gisi » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

You don't get the default protocol checkbox unless NetBIOS over the protocol
is available. NetBIOS over IPX is not enabled by default, but I forget
exactly how you enable it.

If TCP/IP is bound to MS networking, then NetBIOS over IP is mandatory.

:
[...]

1. Setup: Default Network Protocol - TCP/IP

Hi All,

Has anyone been able to replace the "NetBeui & IPX" defaults in WFWG 3.11 setup with
"TCP/IP-32 v3.11a"?  We are loading WFWG from a net offer connected from a boot disk.

The Boot Disk automatically runs SETUP.  We only want the TCP/IP protocol to be loaded
so that the Installers don't get confused.  Does any one have a SETUP.INF and NETWORK.INF
that has an OEM Transport Added as the Default for setup already configured?

Thanks,

Mike Gercevich

2. Improving the Search Feature

3. No default TTL set using default SOA?

4. 2 Addresses for 1 NIC

5. TLS protocols vs. SET, SSL protocols over networks?

6. Help -- Cardinal V.34 external won't dial out.

7. ? default routes, "ip default-network".

8. Wetware vs Amdahl's Law, was Re: AI and the Vinge Singularity

9. ? Default routes, "ip default-network".

10. Q: default route by means of "ip default-network"

11. ? default routes, "ip default-network".

12. default ip route/default-network

13. IP DEFAULT-GATEWAY or IP DEFAULT-NETWORK