Norton Firewall blocks peer to peer - why?

Norton Firewall blocks peer to peer - why?

Post by TrueBlu » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:34:04

I have a Windows XP pro desktop and a Windows 2000 laptop connected directly
via 100mb network cards.

I have installed FastLynx software which works like laplink in transferring
files between the PCs. However, the Norton Firewall 2003 is blocking the
connection. When I drop the firewall, all works fine. When I enable the
firewall, they will not connect.

I have given the FastLynx program full permission in the firewall rules.

Any ideas - this is driving me mad!!!

Thanks

Post by daytrippe » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:42:17

>I have a Windows XP pro desktop and a Windows 2000 laptop connected directly
>via 100mb network cards.

>I have installed FastLynx software which works like laplink in transferring
>files between the PCs. However, the Norton Firewall 2003 is blocking the
>connection. When I drop the firewall, all works fine. When I enable the
>firewall, they will not connect.

>I have given the FastLynx program full permission in the firewall rules.

>Any ideas - this is driving me mad!!!

Don't know anything about FastLynx, but perhaps it's dependent on Netbios or
SMB and your firewall is blocking ports 137 & 138 or 139 & 445, respectively?

/daytripper

1. New file available Peer 2 peer and online game blocks on pix

ftp://ftp.draxindustries.com/p2pblocking_for_pix.txt

This file has been verified and tested on a PIX 535 behind a 90,000
workstation network, 100Mbit connection to the public internet. It has
been in use for 8 months without any problems. This will the majority
of P2P traffic without impacting legitimate network traffic.

2. FP 2000 won't save changes

3. Plugging Netware into Peer-to-Peer Windows Hub KILLS Internet Connect: WHY ????

4. what is collectionnumvalue ?

5. Syncronizing Workstation to Server Times - anyone done this

6. Peer-to-peer disconnected - why?:

7. Color Table in CMY

8. peer-to-peer network..why wont 'it work????

9. VPN Peer:ISAKMP: Peer Info for * not found

10. "peer default ip address" assigns _wrong_ IP address to peer

11. peer-to-peer OSI and physical connection??

12. Cable access peer to peer