Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Post by Justi » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello

I'm relatively new to networking in general, and I really need an
experienced expert to help me out with this one, please.

Network details:

7-computer 10Base-T network
Accton 10/100Base-T NICs
Accton 8-port 10Base-T hub
Win98 throughout
NetBEUI

The network has worked flawlessly for months, until a couple of new
computers were added, involving some swapping around of PCs.

The problem is this: on one computer, the user can see the rest of the
network in Network Neighbourhood but not himself, and the rest of the
network can't see him. So he can quite happily access shared resources on
the network, but when someone else wants to access his shared resources,
they can't!

Sometimes this user will reboot, and find that he can see himself in Network
Neighbourhood, and other computers on the network can see him too. But as
soon as the other users try and access his resources, an error message is
given to the effect of not being able to find that user on the network.

I have tried reinstalling Windows, changing the NIC, reinstalling all
drivers, changing protocols, you name it. I'm desperate!

If the networking didn't work at all on this PC that would be one thing, but
how can the user see the rest of the network, and they not be able to see
him? To me this doesn't make sense!

One thing that I didn't do was re-format the PC's HD, but I did delete the
Windows folder and re-install. Is it possible that some of the
network-related files in the root directory could have perpetuated the
problem after the Windows re-installation?

Any input would be most appreciated.

Regards

Justin

Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Post by st.. » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Have  you tried running TCP/IP and  then pinging the other computers
to see if they  are realy on the network? I had NIC's that  would
conflict ip addresses  with othr computers on the network, but I
could not ping another  computer on the network ..hhhmmm.. I thought
they  were working ok as they  installed ok but the fact I could not
ping other computers on the network meant  they werent.I could see the
computer on the  server once in a while then it  would
disapear....the  problem was they only  would work with IRQ 10 and
base 300 why I still don't know. But they  work now.. Give it a try

.

Quote:>Hello

>I'm relatively new to networking in general, and I really need an
>experienced expert to help me out with this one, please.

>Network details:

>7-computer 10Base-T network
>Accton 10/100Base-T NICs
>Accton 8-port 10Base-T hub
>Win98 throughout
>NetBEUI

>The network has worked flawlessly for months, until a couple of new
>computers were added, involving some swapping around of PCs.

>The problem is this: on one computer, the user can see the rest of the
>network in Network Neighbourhood but not himself, and the rest of the
>network can't see him. So he can quite happily access shared resources on
>the network, but when someone else wants to access his shared resources,
>they can't!

>Sometimes this user will reboot, and find that he can see himself in Network
>Neighbourhood, and other computers on the network can see him too. But as
>soon as the other users try and access his resources, an error message is
>given to the effect of not being able to find that user on the network.

>I have tried reinstalling Windows, changing the NIC, reinstalling all
>drivers, changing protocols, you name it. I'm desperate!

>If the networking didn't work at all on this PC that would be one thing, but
>how can the user see the rest of the network, and they not be able to see
>him? To me this doesn't make sense!

>One thing that I didn't do was re-format the PC's HD, but I did delete the
>Windows folder and re-install. Is it possible that some of the
>network-related files in the root directory could have perpetuated the
>problem after the Windows re-installation?

>Any input would be most appreciated.

>Regards

>Justin

Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Post by Tom Clar » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What I suggest is that you switch to ipx/spx, cos this prot will bind to
almost anything

>Hello

>I'm relatively new to networking in general, and I really need an
>experienced expert to help me out with this one, please.

>Network details:

>7-computer 10Base-T network
>Accton 10/100Base-T NICs
>Accton 8-port 10Base-T hub
>Win98 throughout
>NetBEUI

>The network has worked flawlessly for months, until a couple of new
>computers were added, involving some swapping around of PCs.

>The problem is this: on one computer, the user can see the rest of the
>network in Network Neighbourhood but not himself, and the rest of the
>network can't see him. So he can quite happily access shared resources on
>the network, but when someone else wants to access his shared resources,
>they can't!

>Sometimes this user will reboot, and find that he can see himself in
Network
>Neighbourhood, and other computers on the network can see him too. But as
>soon as the other users try and access his resources, an error message is
>given to the effect of not being able to find that user on the network.

>I have tried reinstalling Windows, changing the NIC, reinstalling all
>drivers, changing protocols, you name it. I'm desperate!

>If the networking didn't work at all on this PC that would be one thing,
but
>how can the user see the rest of the network, and they not be able to see
>him? To me this doesn't make sense!

>One thing that I didn't do was re-format the PC's HD, but I did delete the
>Windows folder and re-install. Is it possible that some of the
>network-related files in the root directory could have perpetuated the
>problem after the Windows re-installation?

>Any input would be most appreciated.

>Regards

>Justin

Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Post by Island Compute » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What kind of Cable are you using - what kind of Hub  - and very very
importantly - How long is the cable from the HUB to this specific computer
????

David

>What I suggest is that you switch to ipx/spx, cos this prot will bind to
>almost anything

>>Hello

>>I'm relatively new to networking in general, and I really need an
>>experienced expert to help me out with this one, please.

>>Network details:

>>7-computer 10Base-T network
>>Accton 10/100Base-T NICs
>>Accton 8-port 10Base-T hub
>>Win98 throughout
>>NetBEUI

>>The network has worked flawlessly for months, until a couple of new
>>computers were added, involving some swapping around of PCs.

>>The problem is this: on one computer, the user can see the rest of the
>>network in Network Neighbourhood but not himself, and the rest of the
>>network can't see him. So he can quite happily access shared resources on
>>the network, but when someone else wants to access his shared resources,
>>they can't!

>>Sometimes this user will reboot, and find that he can see himself in
>Network
>>Neighbourhood, and other computers on the network can see him too. But as
>>soon as the other users try and access his resources, an error message is
>>given to the effect of not being able to find that user on the network.

>>I have tried reinstalling Windows, changing the NIC, reinstalling all
>>drivers, changing protocols, you name it. I'm desperate!

>>If the networking didn't work at all on this PC that would be one thing,
>but
>>how can the user see the rest of the network, and they not be able to see
>>him? To me this doesn't make sense!

>>One thing that I didn't do was re-format the PC's HD, but I did delete the
>>Windows folder and re-install. Is it possible that some of the
>>network-related files in the root directory could have perpetuated the
>>problem after the Windows re-installation?

>>Any input would be most appreciated.

>>Regards

>>Justin

Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Post by Fran » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Silly question, is this one of the new computers? Silly question #2, are you
SURE there are shared resources on this computer?

Frank

> What I suggest is that you switch to ipx/spx, cos this prot will bind to
> almost anything

> >Hello

> >I'm relatively new to networking in general, and I really need an
> >experienced expert to help me out with this one, please.

> >Network details:

> >7-computer 10Base-T network
> >Accton 10/100Base-T NICs
> >Accton 8-port 10Base-T hub
> >Win98 throughout
> >NetBEUI

> >The network has worked flawlessly for months, until a couple of new
> >computers were added, involving some swapping around of PCs.

> >The problem is this: on one computer, the user can see the rest of the
> >network in Network Neighbourhood but not himself, and the rest of the
> >network can't see him. So he can quite happily access shared resources on
> >the network, but when someone else wants to access his shared resources,
> >they can't!

> >Sometimes this user will reboot, and find that he can see himself in
> Network
> >Neighbourhood, and other computers on the network can see him too. But as
> >soon as the other users try and access his resources, an error message is
> >given to the effect of not being able to find that user on the network.

> >I have tried reinstalling Windows, changing the NIC, reinstalling all
> >drivers, changing protocols, you name it. I'm desperate!

> >If the networking didn't work at all on this PC that would be one thing,
> but
> >how can the user see the rest of the network, and they not be able to see
> >him? To me this doesn't make sense!

> >One thing that I didn't do was re-format the PC's HD, but I did delete the
> >Windows folder and re-install. Is it possible that some of the
> >network-related files in the root directory could have perpetuated the
> >problem after the Windows re-installation?

> >Any input would be most appreciated.

> >Regards

> >Justin

Bizarre problem with small peer-to-peer 10Base-T network: please help urgently!

Post by Sk » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

If resources are shared: Start with the basics. I've has bad cabling do some
pretty weird things. I had an intermittent port last week create a similar
problem - double check your hardware
Sk

:Silly question, is this one of the new computers? Silly question #2, are
you
:SURE there are shared resources on this computer?
:
:Frank
: