Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Post by Tarique Nase » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

This has probably been asked a thousand times already...

But I have set up a peer to peer win95 network at work between 6
machines, using IPX/SPX (with netbios) & TCP/IP. I set up the tcp/ip
to allow all the users access to the internet using 'Wingate' &
'MDaemon'.

This all runs perfectly.

However, we have target development machines which only run DOS. I
need to add these machines to the network also.

Reading previous postings in this ng, Microsoft DOS Network Client
(v.3.0) was mentioned a number of times. So I thought I'd give that a
try.

However, although it installs properly (ie. it sees the network card)
and appears to log on, every time I do a 'NET VIEW' it complains it
cannot see any other machine on the network (even in the same
workgroup) nor can I see the DOS machine via the network neighbourhood
on the w'95 machines.

I set up the DOS client with the IPX protocol. I've also tried 802.2 &
802.3 frame types. However, the last I left it, I also noticed that
the win95 frame type was set to AUTO. Would changing this make any
difference?

Does anyone have any clues!? Am I using the right client software, or
is there any others out there I can try? I downloaded this one from
the Microsoft ftp site.

Apologies for the questions. I only half understand what I'm doing,
being fairly new to networking! I'm on a bit of a learning curve...

Any help would be appreciated.

If you reply by e-mail, please reply to my other address at work

Cheers,
        Tarique.

 leicester, uk                            tel : +(44) 116 289 2851

Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Post by Tony Langd » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 02 Aug 97  20:57:54,

discussion of Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

 tn> However, we have target development machines which only run DOS. I
 tn> need to add these machines to the network also.

 tn> Reading previous postings in this ng, Microsoft DOS Network Client
 tn> (v.3.0) was mentioned a number of times. So I thought I'd give that a
 tn> try.

 tn> However, although it installs properly (ie. it sees the network card)
 tn> and appears to log on, every time I do a 'NET VIEW' it complains it
 tn> cannot see any other machine on the network (even in the same
 tn> workgroup) nor can I see the DOS machine via the network neighbourhood
 tn> on the w'95 machines.

I use MSClient regularly.  It's been solid and reliable, if a little
lacking in some error messages ;) )

 tn> I set up the DOS client with the IPX protocol. I've also tried 802.2 &
 tn> 802.3 frame types. However, the last I left it, I also noticed that
 tn> the win95 frame type was set to AUTO. Would changing this make any
 tn> difference?

IPX usually works fine.  I found I had to fiddle the frame type (I
think 808.2 worked for me on a NT based network, where the frame type
was auto on the nt boxes).  I've also successfully used it with NetBEUI
and TCP/IP (the latter is a memory hog though).

 tn> Does anyone have any clues!? Am I using the right client software, or
 tn> is there any others out there I can try? I downloaded this one from
 tn> the Microsoft ftp site.

It does work.  However, you may need to manually look at your
AUTOEXEC.BAT and PROTOCOL.INI files.  Sometimes SETUP gets a little
confused when installing the client, from my experience (it totally
screwed up TCP/IP and I had to fix it by hand).

 tn> Apologies for the questions. I only half understand what I'm doing,
 tn> being fairly new to networking! I'm on a bit of a learning curve...

 tn> Any help would be appreciated.

No probs.  Try NetBEUI and see if you can contact machines on your
subnet.  Also, check the basics like your network card's I/O address and
IRQ (though you usually get a message saying "The hardware is not
responding" in this case).  Make sure you're not running another network
driver which would conflict with MSClient (e.g. packet driver for TCP/IP
apps).  If you need another driver to co-exist, you'll need a shim of
some sort.

... Definition: Death - Nature telling you to slow down.
--

Post by Gerry W. Veerm » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>It's 02 Aug 97  20:57:54,

>discussion of Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

> tn> However, although it installs properly (ie. it sees the network card)
> tn> and appears to log on, every time I do a 'NET VIEW' it complains it
> tn> cannot see any other machine on the network (even in the same
> tn> workgroup) nor can I see the DOS machine via the network neighbourhood
> tn> on the w'95 machines.

To see the DOS machines in NN they will have to share some device. Now
making the DOS client share is a trick of the trade. I took the the
advice of Bruce Feuchuk, and it worked;

Quote:>QUOTE

Get the DOS Workgroup Client from ftp.microsoft.com, in directory
/bussys/clients/MSCLIENT.  Get both files.  They're self-extractors.

Extract all the files, run SETUP.  Now your DOS machine is a client on
your Windows P-t-P network.

/softlib/mslfiles.
It's another self-extractor.  Run it in your /NET directory, and let
it overwrite whatever it wants to.

Now you HAVE TO enable the sharing of their Hard drive (and LPT's if
you wish).

If you take a look in SYSTEM.INI you will see the two lines near the
top:

[network]
directhost=yes
sizworkbuf=1498
filesharing=yes        <<--------
printsharing=yes      <<--------
autologon=yes

These two lines are NO as the default... just change them to YES.
Note that IF you make any future changes via SETUP (for the dos
client/server) it WILL change things back to NO (trust me on this
one)...

Also in your Autoexec.bat file you have to tell the system what to
share and
what it's name is.  An example is:

C:\NET\net initialize
C:\NET\nwlink
C:\NET\net start
net share Printer=Lpt1 /full /yes
net share C-Drive=C:\ /full /yes

In other words, you 'assign' C-Drive as the log in name for other
system to map to (ie: map E: as \Sys2\C-Drive)...

And as you can see, you 'NEED' to assign a name for your LPT1 as wall.
In the example above, I've assigned 'printer' for LPT1 and 'c-drive'
for the Hard drive (this is what is needed for mapping and port
capturing - identical as for Windows Networking).

Once you've assigned the above, AND your SYSTEM.INI file has the
correct Dos machine Name and Workgroup, then you 'should' be able to
see the Dos machines!
Here is an example of my System.Ini for the above:

computername=RFA8
lanroot=C:\NET
username=PLOTTER
workgroup=WORKGROUP
reconnect=yes
dospophotkey=N
lmlogon=0
logondomain=WORKGROUP

We have 12 machines (RFA1 to RFA12).  This machine is used for a Laser
Server (so instead of a User 'name' like BRUCE, I call it PLOTTER).
And we use the default Workgroup name.

Quote:>UNQUOTE

Though I had the experience that after setting up the shares ones, the
command 'NET SHARE' was enough after starting up the client.

Quote:>I use MSClient regularly.  It's been solid and reliable, if a little
>lacking in some error messages ;) )

And a lotta lacking in docs..

Quote:> tn> I set up the DOS client with the IPX protocol. I've also tried 802.2 &
> tn> 802.3 frame types. However, the last I left it, I also noticed that
> tn> the win95 frame type was set to AUTO. Would changing this make any
> tn> difference?

>IPX usually works fine.  I found I had to fiddle the frame type (I
>think 808.2 worked for me on a NT based network, where the frame type
>was auto on the nt boxes).  I've also successfully used it with NetBEUI
>and TCP/IP (the latter is a memory hog though).

I might add my fiddling trying to make IPX go;
Give it a network address, like '123'.
I also specified 802.2 at first, but now its gone back to 'auto' which
gives no problems.
If your W95 machine is the Browse Master, choose 'enabled' over 'auto'
in the file & printer sharing for MSN.

Quote:> tn> Does anyone have any clues!? Am I using the right client software, or
> tn> is there any others out there I can try? I downloaded this one from
> tn> the Microsoft ftp site.

>It does work.  However, you may need to manually look at your
>AUTOEXEC.BAT and PROTOCOL.INI files.  Sometimes SETUP gets a little
>confused when installing the client, from my experience (it totally
>screwed up TCP/IP and I had to fix it by hand).

> tn> Apologies for the questions. I only half understand what I'm doing,
> tn> being fairly new to networking! I'm on a bit of a learning curve...

> tn> Any help would be appreciated.

>No probs.  Try NetBEUI and see if you can contact machines on your
>subnet.  Also, check the basics like your network card's I/O address and
>IRQ (though you usually get a message saying "The hardware is not
>responding" in this case).  Make sure you're not running another network
>driver which would conflict with MSClient (e.g. packet driver for TCP/IP
>apps).  If you need another driver to co-exist, you'll need a shim of
>some sort.

BTW
I checked  this part of USENET for a month or so now. This and other
topics come up again and again, and I can 't detect the results of any
action ever taken to collect the shared know-how in a document like a
FAQ.

Is this right ?

 - Gerry

--

  | X | Amsterdam, Holland
  | X | The ultimate medium for the loudmouth & obsessed: USENET

Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Post by Mike Hasting » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 Tarique,

Are you using the NET command to setup your shares? If you don't have any
shares setup you won't see anything. IE
NET
\\Computers\C   for C: drive

Later,  Mike

>This has probably been asked a thousand times already...

>But I have set up a peer to peer win95 network at work between 6
>machines, using IPX/SPX (with netbios) & TCP/IP. I set up the tcp/ip
>to allow all the users access to the internet using 'Wingate' &
>'MDaemon'.

>This all runs perfectly.

>However, we have target development machines which only run DOS. I
>need to add these machines to the network also.

>Reading previous postings in this ng, Microsoft DOS Network Client
>(v.3.0) was mentioned a number of times. So I thought I'd give that a
>try.

>However, although it installs properly (ie. it sees the network card)
>and appears to log on, every time I do a 'NET VIEW' it complains it
>cannot see any other machine on the network (even in the same
>workgroup) nor can I see the DOS machine via the network neighbourhood
>on the w'95 machines.

>I set up the DOS client with the IPX protocol. I've also tried 802.2 &
>802.3 frame types. However, the last I left it, I also noticed that
>the win95 frame type was set to AUTO. Would changing this make any
>difference?

>Does anyone have any clues!? Am I using the right client software, or
>is there any others out there I can try? I downloaded this one from
>the Microsoft ftp site.

>Apologies for the questions. I only half understand what I'm doing,
>being fairly new to networking! I'm on a bit of a learning curve...

>Any help would be appreciated.

>If you reply by e-mail, please reply to my other address at work

>Cheers,
> Tarique.

> leicester, uk                            tel : +(44) 116 289 2851

Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Post by Tony Langd » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 04 Aug 97  09:50:15,

discussion of Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

 ge> Extract all the files, run SETUP.  Now your DOS machine is a client on
 ge> your Windows P-t-P network.

And don't forget to check your configs, it sometimes gets it wrong. ;)

 ge> Go back to ftp.microsoft.com, and get WG1049.EXE, from
 ge> /softlib/mslfiles.
 ge> It's another self-extractor.  Run it in your /NET directory, and let
 ge> it overwrite whatever it wants to.

 ge> Now you HAVE TO enable the sharing of their Hard drive (and LPT's if
 ge> you wish).

 ge> If you take a look in SYSTEM.INI you will see the two lines near the
 ge> top:

I'll look out for that one.  It might be handy.

 >I use MSClient regularly.  It's been solid and reliable, if a little
 >lacking in some error messages ;) )

 ge> And a lotta lacking in docs..

True. :-)

 ge> I might add my fiddling trying to make IPX go;
 ge> Give it a network address, like '123'.
 ge> I also specified 802.2 at first, but now its gone back to 'auto' which
 ge> gives no problems.
 ge> If your W95 machine is the Browse Master, choose 'enabled' over 'auto'
 ge> in the file & printer sharing for MSN.

No probs...

 ge> BTW
 ge> I checked  this part of USENET for a month or so now. This and other
 ge> topics come up again and again, and I can 't detect the results of any
 ge> action ever taken to collect the shared know-how in a document like a
 ge> FAQ.

 ge> Is this right ?

I haven't seen a FAQ in the last month.  I could think of a few that
qualify. :-)

like:

"How can I connect my network to a dialup Internet connection"?

"How can I share a modem under Win95/NT"?

"How can I see my UNIX server in a NT network"?

Not to mention various common bugs and workarounds, domain config and
management and other issues we see here regularly.

... Choosey cats prefer Microsoft mice, 10 to 1
--
|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Post by Tarique Nase » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Well it now works! Many thanks to all that helped.

As the SMC card I'm using was not *specifically* listed in the setup
program for MSClient, I cheated and copied the .dos file from the
windows95 machine (which also contains the same card). I changed the
ini files and it works fine!

I also took Gerry's advice on downloading the wg1049.exe program from
the microsoft site and changing my system.ini files. Now the windows
PC's can see the DOS system also.

Phew. That's one headache over with now... It's now time to wire the
entire building properly rather than having all the cables trailing
about the floor... ;-)

At the moment all the machines are connected via BNC in a bus type
configuration. As the cards I have are all combo cards (ie. they also
have RJ45) does anyone see any problems in connecting the machines via
a central hub? Is there anything I should look out for (problems,
etc)?

Cheers,
        Tarique.

> Tarique,

>Are you using the NET command to setup your shares? If you don't have any
>shares setup you won't see anything. IE
>NET
>\\Computers\C   for C: drive

>Later,  Mike

>>This has probably been asked a thousand times already...

>>But I have set up a peer to peer win95 network at work between 6
>>machines, using IPX/SPX (with netbios) & TCP/IP. I set up the tcp/ip
>>to allow all the users access to the internet using 'Wingate' &
>>'MDaemon'.

>>This all runs perfectly.

>>However, we have target development machines which only run DOS. I
>>need to add these machines to the network also.

>>Reading previous postings in this ng, Microsoft DOS Network Client
>>(v.3.0) was mentioned a number of times. So I thought I'd give that a
>>try.

>>However, although it installs properly (ie. it sees the network card)
>>and appears to log on, every time I do a 'NET VIEW' it complains it
>>cannot see any other machine on the network (even in the same
>>workgroup) nor can I see the DOS machine via the network neighbourhood
>>on the w'95 machines.

>>I set up the DOS client with the IPX protocol. I've also tried 802.2 &
>>802.3 frame types. However, the last I left it, I also noticed that
>>the win95 frame type was set to AUTO. Would changing this make any
>>difference?

>>Does anyone have any clues!? Am I using the right client software, or
>>is there any others out there I can try? I downloaded this one from
>>the Microsoft ftp site.

>>Apologies for the questions. I only half understand what I'm doing,
>>being fairly new to networking! I'm on a bit of a learning curve...

>>Any help would be appreciated.

>>If you reply by e-mail, please reply to my other address at work

>>Cheers,
>> Tarique.

>>=======================================================================

>> leicester, uk                            tel : +(44) 116 289 2851
>>=======================================================================

Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

Post by Tony Langd » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 05 Aug 97  10:38:29,

discussion of Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

 ta> At the moment all the machines are connected via BNC in a bus type
 ta> configuration. As the cards I have are all combo cards (ie. they also
 ta> have RJ45) does anyone see any problems in connecting the machines via
 ta> a central hub? Is there anything I should look out for (problems,
 ta> etc)?

If your network cards are set to auto configure, it should work fine.
Just unplug the coax and plug in a UTP between the hub and each PC.
Shouldn't be any real problems.

I'm going to be doing the same in an office soon myself, once everyone
has suitable cards. :-)

... This Tagline is for sale.  Call 1-800-TAG-THIS!