NetBIOS Grayed Out

Post by Steve Meye » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:55:55

Need some help please. I've got two Win 98s networked with a cable modem
using SyGate for sharing. Everything is working great, but I'd like to have
NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Problem is the option is grayed out in the properties
window for the bound NIC for the local network.

This suggest to me that the local network is communicating with TCP/IP. How
can I get the local on NetBIOS?

Thanks in advance.

  "Small things amuse small minds."
                                    :Anonymous
Name: Steve Meyer

Web Site: http://home.earthlink.net/~smjmeyer

NetBIOS Grayed Out

Post by Angus Macleo » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:05:28

I assume the option is checked and grayed out, and NetBIOS does run over the
network. However, if you have any doubt, install NetBEUI on your machines.

Angus.

> Need some help please. I've got two Win 98s networked with a cable modem
> using SyGate for sharing. Everything is working great, but I'd like to
have
> NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Problem is the option is grayed out in the properties
> window for the bound NIC for the local network.

> This suggest to me that the local network is communicating with TCP/IP.
How
> can I get the local on NetBIOS?

> Thanks in advance.
> --

>   "Small things amuse small minds."
>                                     :Anonymous
> Name: Steve Meyer

> Web Site: http://home.earthlink.net/~smjmeyer

NetBIOS Grayed Out

Post by Steve Meye » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:39:49

NetBios is installed, and your right, it is checked and grayed out.

  "Small things amuse small minds."
                                    :Anonymous
Name: Steve Meyer

Web Site: http://home.earthlink.net/~smjmeyer

> I assume the option is checked and grayed out, and NetBIOS does run over
the
> network. However, if you have any doubt, install NetBEUI on your machines.

> Angus.

> > Need some help please. I've got two Win 98s networked with a cable modem
> > using SyGate for sharing. Everything is working great, but I'd like to
> have
> > NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Problem is the option is grayed out in the
properties
> > window for the bound NIC for the local network.

> > This suggest to me that the local network is communicating with TCP/IP.
> How
> > can I get the local on NetBIOS?

> > Thanks in advance.
> > --

> >   "Small things amuse small minds."
> >                                     :Anonymous
> > Name: Steve Meyer

> > Web Site: http://home.earthlink.net/~smjmeyer

1. Win95 OSR2: "Netbios over TCP/IP" greyed out

Hi,

I am trying to connect a Win 95 OSR2 machine to our Samba 2.0.6 server.
The Samba server doesn't show up in the Network Neighborhood (they are
on the same subnet and in the same workgroup) but other Windows machines
were showing up.  Also, the Samba server shows up fine on other
machines. I noticed that Client for Netware was installed and so was the
NetBeui protocol and IPX/SPX.  This machine didn't need Netware so I
deleted everything except Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP.

When I rebooted nothing showed up in the Network Neighborhood.  I added
NetBEUI back in and the computers showed up again but still no Samba
server (Samba doesn't do NetBEUI).

More digging in TCP/IP and I found that the NetBIOS over TCP/IP check
box was both unchecked and greyed out.

So, it looks like NetBIOS is set up to work only with NetBEUI, for some
reason.

Does anyone know why this would be greyed out or how I can re-enable
it?  I have tried deleting TCP/IP altogether, rebooting, installing
TCP/IP, and Client for Microsoft Networking, and rebooting again but
this didn't do the trick.

 Thanks,

 Steve

 Research Associate            Phone: (207) 581-4302
 Ocean Modeling Group
 School of Marine Sciences     208 Libby Hall
 University of Maine           Orono, Maine 04469

2. Yamaha CDR rejecting CD?

3. "Chameleon Gray" "BTS Light Gray/Dolphin Gray" colors on Nortel 9417CW...what do they look like?

4. Summary of HP Security Bulletins

5. NetBIOS Ports 137, 138 and 139 all necessary for NetBIOS communication (firewall)?

6. Categories

7. NetBIOS/NetBEUI and NetBIOS/IPX packet formats -- where to get?

8. Asante Nubus ethernet

9. grey products

10. Anybody know what a "gray-hole hop" is?

11. 1 Hop Away - Grayed Browse List

12. Gray Associates WEB page online

13. Disconnect a call if idle for more than xx minutes greyed out