windows nt on a 95 peer to peer network

Post by John Bra » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

i just put a NT machine on my windows95 peer to peer network.  the network is
run on the ipx/spx and netbeui protocols.  the nt machine has blank passwords
for administrator, and the one user account (the machine is just a test
anyway...so i could give a flying fu** about security).  it sees all the other
computers on the network just fine.  it can access their file shares fine, and
do whatever it wants.  the other computers can all see this nt machine in
network neighborhood, but when you click on it, before you even see anything,
it asks for a password.  what is the password?  it is not just the "enter" key
for a blank password, cause i tried that and it dosent work.  i want to get rid
of passwords all together if i could.  anyone have any help?  please email me

windows nt on a 95 peer to peer network

Post by Jeff » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> i just put a NT machine on my windows95 peer to peer network.  the
network is
> run on the ipx/spx and netbeui protocols.  the nt machine has blank
passwords
> for administrator, and the one user account (the machine is just a test
> anyway...so i could give a flying fu** about security).  it sees all the

other...

It has been my experience that NT wants to authenticate ANY attempt at
shares.pipes,rpc, etc. Setup an account on the NT box and login to 95 with
a user and password already on the NT box. The password is a request from
NT and there IS no password that I have found that works but this system
will...

Post by Tony » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>i just put a NT machine on my windows95 peer to peer network.  the network
is
>run on the ipx/spx and netbeui protocols.  the nt machine has blank
passwords
>for administrator, and the one user account (the machine is just a test
>anyway...so i could give a flying fu** about security).  it sees all the
other
>computers on the network just fine.  it can access their file shares fine,
and
>do whatever it wants.  the other computers can all see this nt machine in
>network neighborhood, but when you click on it, before you even see
anything,
>it asks for a password.  what is the password?  it is not just the "enter"
key
>for a blank password, cause i tried that and it dosent work.  i want to get
rid
>of passwords all together if i could.  anyone have any help?  please email
me

welcome to the wonderfull worlkd of NT networking!!!!!

windows nt on a 95 peer to peer network

Post by Nerzu » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

enable the guest account ! Make the c$ to c and share it for group everyone
! (if u like no security)

>> i just put a NT machine on my windows95 peer to peer network.  the
>network is
>> run on the ipx/spx and netbeui protocols.  the nt machine has blank
>passwords
>> for administrator, and the one user account (the machine is just a test
>> anyway...so i could give a flying fu** about security).  it sees all the
>other...

>It has been my experience that NT wants to authenticate ANY attempt at
>shares.pipes,rpc, etc. Setup an account on the NT box and login to 95 with
>a user and password already on the NT box. The password is a request from
>NT and there IS no password that I have found that works but this system
>will...

windows nt on a 95 peer to peer network

Post by Robert Bethun » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00

The problem is that none of your users have accounts on the NT machine.

Try creating user accounts in the appropriate names and leave the passwords
blank. There's also a posting elsewhere here that recommends using the
guest account; I'm not sure how that works.

You could also use the Win95 system policy editor (you install that from
the CDROM in the nettools or admin directory), shut down password caching
on all the Win95 machines, then just set up one account on the NT box with
no password. Tell everybody what that account name is.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing on NT as share-level security, which
is what you're used to in Win95 terms. NT is all user-level security (in
Win95 terms.)

--
Robert Bethune
Omnex Inc.

> i just put a NT machine on my windows95 peer to peer network.  the
network is
> run on the ipx/spx and netbeui protocols.  the nt machine has blank
passwords
> for administrator, and the one user account (the machine is just a test
> anyway...so i could give a flying fu** about security).  it sees all the
other
> computers on the network just fine.  it can access their file shares
fine, and
> do whatever it wants.  the other computers can all see this nt machine in
> network neighborhood, but when you click on it, before you even see
anything,
> it asks for a password.  what is the password?  it is not just the
"enter" key
> for a blank password, cause i tried that and it dosent work.  i want to
get rid
> of passwords all together if i could.  anyone have any help?  please
email me

1. Question: How to establish Peer to Peer Networking for Windows 98 and Windows 95

Question: How to establish Peer to Peer Networking for Windows 98 and
Windows 95 along with Internet Access!!

The company I work for is about to purchase 5 to 7 new PC's that have
Windows 98 and Ethernet Networking cards in them, (we are changing
servers and will need new PC's with networking cards in them to talk to
the AS/400 server that we will be purchasing, but that is a different
issue all together). All I need for the systems to do is see each other
and be able to share printers, files and Internet connections off of the
network and then one computer would have access to a phone line and an
ISP. Basically have the entire network use winproxy or some other proxy
program to get the computers on the network to see the computer that has
a phone line connected to it.

I need to know if there are any web pages or how to docs on the net that
I can look at to see how this is done. If it is the same as it was for
Windows 95 then I am ok until I get to the sharing the Internet access,
which I am shaky on. Also my boss would more that likely want to have
access to the file sharing and such and he has a windows 95 machine.
How would I get the protocols nailed down to get his system to see all
the new systems on the peer to peer???

I could go on and on, concerning what I need to know. PLEASE email me
back with some info on were to start or if you have time email me back
with the solution to my problem if you would not mind.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

2. Autoexec.bat automatically re-created be SB Live

3. Peer to peer networking with windows 95

4. Install probs on a WFW LAn

5. can i connect to windows 95 network peer to peer from dos

6. profile issue 000

7. Windows 95 Peer to peer networking

8. Multihomed Win2003 DC

9. MS Windows 3.11 & 95 Peer to Peer networking problems

10. Peer to Peer Network with NT and 95 Problems.

11. Setting up peer to peer network with NT and 95

12. peer-to-peer 95-95 network

13. Problem with peer to peer network, windows 98 to Windows NT