Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
"Browse" ???

Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something to do
with announcing or something ??

Any clues gratefully welcomed.

Marc.

Post by Bill Fun » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> "Browse" ???

> Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something to do
> with announcing or something ??

> Any clues gratefully welcomed.

> Marc.

A clue about what you're trying to do would be a great help.
What are you doing when you try to browse?
I can always find my computer... it's right here on my desk. :-)

--
Bill Funk
 Doesn't a lightning rod

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Thanks bill   :-\

on a windows pc .  "startbutton - find - computer" then entering the name of
the peer pc you are looking for brings up a positive result.  going into
"network neighborhood",  however, shows nothing.

ya with me ?

all the best,
marc.

> > Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> > "Browse" ???

> > Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something to
do
> > with announcing or something ??

> > Any clues gratefully welcomed.

> > Marc.

> A clue about what you're trying to do would be a great help.
> What are you doing when you try to browse?
> I can always find my computer... it's right here on my desk. :-)

> --
> Bill Funk
>  Doesn't a lightning rod
>  on a church steeple
>  show a lack of faith?

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Bill Fun » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks bill   :-\

> on a windows pc .  "startbutton - find - computer" then entering the name of
> the peer pc you are looking for brings up a positive result.  going into
> "network neighborhood",  however, shows nothing.

> ya with me ?

> all the best,
> marc.

> > > Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> > > "Browse" ???

> > > Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something to
> do
> > > with announcing or something ??

> > > Any clues gratefully welcomed.

> > > Marc.

> > A clue about what you're trying to do would be a great help.
> > What are you doing when you try to browse?
> > I can always find my computer... it's right here on my desk. :-)

> > --
> > Bill Funk

Ohhh...
Networking. Fun, fun, fun.
I think the problem is that you aren't logging on to the remote computer.
Are you getting a window on boot that asks you for a password?

--
Bill Funk
 Doesn't a lightning rod

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Chris Savag » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> "Browse" ???

I replied to someone about something similar recently...I don't know "why",
but if, when you "find" the computer, and then double-click on it (In the
find window) and open it for access, then you should be able to "browse" the
network afterward...Let me know if it works...It appears you need to
establish a connection through the "find" window first...

--
Chris Savage/Knight Designs

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Pinge » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

If you're using Windows 98, you have to enable File & Printer sharing  for
the computer to show up in Network Neighborhood.

> Thanks bill   :-\

> on a windows pc .  "startbutton - find - computer" then entering the name
of
> the peer pc you are looking for brings up a positive result.  going into
> "network neighborhood",  however, shows nothing.

> ya with me ?

> all the best,
> marc.

> > > Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> > > "Browse" ???

> > > Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something
> do
> > > with announcing or something ??

> > > Any clues gratefully welcomed.

> > > Marc.

> > A clue about what you're trying to do would be a great help.
> > What are you doing when you try to browse?
> > I can always find my computer... it's right here on my desk. :-)

> > --
> > Bill Funk
> >  Doesn't a lightning rod
> >  on a church steeple
> >  show a lack of faith?

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Nobod » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I've seen this with Win98.  Make the workgroup same name as domain.  (if you
are logging onto a domain) -Brandon

Post by Nick Watt » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
>> "Browse" ???

>I replied to someone about something similar recently...I don't know "why",
>but if, when you "find" the computer, and then double-click on it (In the
>find window) and open it for access, then you should be able to "browse" the
>network afterward...Let me know if it works...It appears you need to
>establish a connection through the "find" window first...
>--
>Chris Savage/Knight Designs

I've had a similar thing with using dial-up networking.  I can Find the
computer and successfully browse its drive, but it doesn't appear for
some time in the network neighborhood.  I guess that the network
neighborhood just takes a while to get refreshed.
Nick Watts
Dynamic Data Design Limited           Bespoke Windows Software Development
The Business & Innovation Centre                      and
Angel Way                                     Creators of StopWatch
Bradford, West Yorkshire                  The Windows Timesheet System
BD7 1BX
United Kingdom                            Tel: +44 (0)1274 841314
http://www.dddesign.demon.co.uk/          Fax: +44 (0)1274 841315

Post by jtst.. » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> "Browse" ???

> Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something
to do
> with announcing or something ??

> Any clues gratefully welcomed.

> Marc.

OK guys, I've had the same problem, but see if you can understand this:
I have a large WinNT network in 2 schools and they're linked together.
The primary domain is "rpsnts01" at the 1st school and the other domain
is called "rpsnts02" at the other school.  Both domains have many file
shares, and all the client computers log on to rpsnts01 (thus logging
into the secondary domains).  I never had a problem with this before.
Suddenly, one day I can no longer see rpsnts02 in network neighborhood
or the computers at that other school.  But I CAN find the computer.  I
never did find out the solution, it kinda just fixed itself (Wierd,
huh??)
-Jay

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I also found that this SOMETIMES worked for me - It was not consistent
though !
Someone must know what is happening !
???

Marc.

> > Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> > "Browse" ???

> I replied to someone about something similar recently...I don't know
"why",
> but if, when you "find" the computer, and then double-click on it (In the
> find window) and open it for access, then you should be able to "browse"
the
> network afterward...Let me know if it works...It appears you need to
> establish a connection through the "find" window first...

> --
> Chris Savage/Knight Designs

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

you think this solves it ?

But my workgroup CAN't be the same as domain.

DOES MICROSOFT KNOW ABOUT THIS BUG ?

Marc.

Quote:> I've seen this with Win98.  Make the workgroup same name as domain.  (if
you
> are logging onto a domain) -Brandon

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yeah Jay

Seems like the bug isn't pinned down to 98 or 95 - but more as a fundamental
part of the microsoft services or tcpip stack.

I INVITE SOMEONE TO CONTRADICT THIS

C'MON MICROSOFT ADVOCATES - WHERE ARE YOU    -   ;-)

Marc.

> > Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
> > "Browse" ???

> > Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something
> to do
> > with announcing or something ??

> > Any clues gratefully welcomed.

> > Marc.

> OK guys, I've had the same problem, but see if you can understand this:
> I have a large WinNT network in 2 schools and they're linked together.
> The primary domain is "rpsnts01" at the 1st school and the other domain
> is called "rpsnts02" at the other school.  Both domains have many file
> shares, and all the client computers log on to rpsnts01 (thus logging
> into the secondary domains).  I never had a problem with this before.
> Suddenly, one day I can no longer see rpsnts02 in network neighborhood
> or the computers at that other school.  But I CAN find the computer.  I
> never did find out the solution, it kinda just fixed itself (Wierd,
> huh??)
> -Jay

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

that ain't it either Bill

( sorry i left it so long mate - we seem to have started something here eh
;-)

...  not with you baby  !  :-)

regards,
marc.

> > Thanks bill   :-\

> > on a windows pc .  "startbutton - find - computer" then entering the
name of
> > the peer pc you are looking for brings up a positive result.  going into
> > "network neighborhood",  however, shows nothing.

> > ya with me ?

> > all the best,
> > marc.

> > do

> > > A clue about what you're trying to do would be a great help.
> > > What are you doing when you try to browse?
> > > I can always find my computer... it's right here on my desk. :-)

> > > --
> > > Bill Funk

> Ohhh...
> Networking. Fun, fun, fun.
> I think the problem is that you aren't logging on to the remote computer.
> Are you getting a window on boot that asks you for a password?

> --
> Bill Funk
>  Doesn't a lightning rod
>  on a church steeple
>  show a lack of faith?

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Tom MacInty » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:54:56 -0000, "Marc Redmile-Gordon"

>Yeah Jay

>Seems like the bug isn't pinned down to 98 or 95 - but more as a fundamental
>part of the microsoft services or tcpip stack.

>I INVITE SOMEONE TO CONTRADICT THIS

>C'MON MICROSOFT ADVOCATES - WHERE ARE YOU    -   ;-)

>Marc.

Did you ever get that mouse-click problem sorted out?

Tom

>> > Does anyone know what is going on when one can "Find computer" but not
>> > "Browse" ???

>> > Is there a different service or protocol being used here - something
>> to do
>> > with announcing or something ??

>> > Any clues gratefully welcomed.

>> > Marc.

>> OK guys, I've had the same problem, but see if you can understand this:
>> I have a large WinNT network in 2 schools and they're linked together.
>> The primary domain is "rpsnts01" at the 1st school and the other domain
>> is called "rpsnts02" at the other school.  Both domains have many file
>> shares, and all the client computers log on to rpsnts01 (thus logging
>> into the secondary domains).  I never had a problem with this before.
>> Suddenly, one day I can no longer see rpsnts02 in network neighborhood
>> or the computers at that other school.  But I CAN find the computer.  I
>> never did find out the solution, it kinda just fixed itself (Wierd,
>> huh??)
>> -Jay

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

Can "Find computer" but not "Browse" ???

Post by Marc Redmile-Gordo » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

yeah,  ( blast from the past )

I got win2000 and a new machine...

thanks,
Marc.