DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Brian Vin » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:28:06

Hi!

I have a W2K server running on a remote network.
The ISP is offering a "fixed" address by DHCP to the server. The lease time
is 4 hours.

My problem is that this line is often down for a longer period, and after
some time my server gives up renewing the IP-address from the providers
DHCP-server.

Is there any way to make W2K retry getting an IP-address forever?
It would also be nice if there is any way to force the break between retries
to be short (something like 5 - 10 minutes)

--
Best regards, Brian

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CC » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 01:48:02

Why does the line go down?  Are you terminating the session or there
just isnt any traffic going through to the internet?

If line goes down because there isnt any traffic going through, Do a
continous ping to a destination in the internet.  That would keep your
session active :)..

Mauricio

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Brian Vin » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:10:44

Quote:> Why does the line go down?  Are you terminating the session or there
> just isnt any traffic going through to the internet?

Bad line quality from the ISP. The carrier medium is cable TV, and this
seems to be periodic unstable.
During the night they close down the lines for longer periods, I guess for
service, and when the line is up and running again my server has given up
refreshing the lease og the IP address.

Quote:

> If line goes down because there isnt any traffic going through, Do a
> continous ping to a destination in the internet.  That would keep your
> session active :)..

This is not the problem, i have tried that just in case.

Best regards, Brian

Post by Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CC » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:20:19

Bad line quality from the ISP. The carrier medium is cable TV, and
this
seems to be periodic unstable.
During the night they close down the lines for longer periods, I guess
for
service, and when the line is up and running again my server has given
up
refreshing the lease og the IP address.

Bad line quality from the ISP over CABLE?  I have never heard of bad
line quality over cable.  Yes with DISTANCE there is degredation but
not to the point where it is bad bad.  IF your ISP is closing your
LINES and you have TRAFFIC YOU want to send to the internet and are
UNABLE to do say, then you should have then refund you money.
ABSOLUTLY..

Mauricio  Sorry i couldnt help you out.

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Bob Moriart » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:45:16

How are you going to renew the address if the line is down?

Quote:> Hi!

> I have a W2K server running on a remote network.
> The ISP is offering a "fixed" address by DHCP to the server. The lease
time
> is 4 hours.

> My problem is that this line is often down for a longer period, and after
> some time my server gives up renewing the IP-address from the providers
> DHCP-server.

> Is there any way to make W2K retry getting an IP-address forever?
> It would also be nice if there is any way to force the break between
retries
> to be short (something like 5 - 10 minutes)

> --
> Best regards, Brian

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Brian Vin » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:48:41

Quote:> How are you going to renew the address if the line is down?

I wish to retry renewing like  5 - 6 times pr. hour. When the line again
"wakes up" I then hope the machine will regain it's IP-address.

/Brian

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Bob Moriart » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:17:12

If the server has already released the address before your line is back up,
how can you expect to recapture it? I've never heard of outages for this
period of time unless there is some type of local catastrophe (power
outages, lines down, etc)

> > How are you going to renew the address if the line is down?

> I wish to retry renewing like  5 - 6 times pr. hour. When the line again
> "wakes up" I then hope the machine will regain it's IP-address.

> /Brian

DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Post by Mauricio Fernandez MCSE, CC » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:39:36

You need to rethink the way your diong your networking.  or your
probably scanning someones wireless ip lol

1. DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Subject: DHCP unable to release an IP address

Date: 6/6/2001 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time

I have a HP 6835 and installed a Linksys LNE 100TX Ethernet Card and have been
trying to get Road Runner Cable hook up ..I receive an error message "There is
one network adapter in the system and it is configured for DHCP but is unable
to release / renew an IP address. I have talked to about 5 or 6 Road Runner
Tech but they can't get me logged on...Any help would be appreciated .  Thanks

2. Buddy Donnelly Abducted by Aliens

3. DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

4. Job Role: WCS developer, Location: Mooresville, NC, Type: Long Term contract position ( Please respond at vikramjits@universal-sw.com / 603-324-4008)

5. how to manually *IP RENEW* on a DHCP Interface?

6. Thanks to everybody ... about the GAL burning ...

7. GTE ADSL / DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter (IP config error)

8. OSPF md5 authentication method stuck in Exchange state

9. ip address dhcp - how to pass client name in dhcp request?

10. Dynamic IP Address Release/Renew

11. How to renew IP address in Windows ME?

12. Renew IP Address? Reset Modem?

13. constantly releasing/renewing ip address