Cable/DSL modem, Internet Router, and DOS

Cable/DSL modem, Internet Router, and DOS

Post by Larry Robert » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:23:00

        Do internet routers grab the IP address from the cable/dsl
modem, then pass it to the NIC? I'm not sure I'm describing that
right. I have a DOS system that I connect to the internet by
connecting it to my main PC (WinME with ICS enabled), and using it as
an internet router for my DOS system. I have the host adaptor using IP
192.168.0.1, and the client adaptor using IP 192.168.0.2. This works,
but I'm not sure this situation below would work:
        A friend has an old 486 which is to slow for Win98. As a DOS
machine it works fine. Cable modem access here is pretty cheap for the
lower speed version (128K/128K), so until he could afford to get a
better PC, I was wondering if using a DSL/Cable router would
automatically get an IP number from the modem, and pass it to the NIC.
I would like to install Arachne for him to web beowse. Arachne has an
option to use BOOTP/DHCP to get the IP address, but it doesn't seem to
work. I'd have to know the IP address of the modem, and enter it
manualy for Arachne to connect. Problem is, it is dynamic. If the
router grabs an address, and passes it to the NIC, maybe Arachne could
then grab the IP address, and connect.
        I know maybe it is extreme, but he could always use the router
later for connecting both his 486 DOS, and his new PC when he gets
one.