printer sharing

Post by Mark » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 23:00:35

I have had a little 3-node Win2Kpeer-peer-peer home network for a year or
so, using a Linksys hub/router to share files and DSL.  This was simple to
set up, and has worked great since day 1.
But I have never managed to get print sharing to work.  At first I thought
it was just my old HP 722C Deskjet was just too old to be "network capable",
and I just waited for it to die.  Well, it did, and I bought an Epson C80.
With the HP, the other workstations always seemed to get error messages
about incorrect drivers.  Now, everything looks normal, but when they try to
print, nothing happens.  It's like they are printing to some "bit bucket".
Am I forgetting something?   Is there more involved than just sharing the
printer, and having the others attach to it?   Do we need to log on to a
common domain or something?

printer sharing

Post by MWR » Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:11:43

I have the same problem getting a network PC (under WinME) to share an HP
950C printer. The drivers are made for USB or parallel connection only and
will not install from the disk or network download. The same routine worked
just fine under Win98 so if there's a solution I'd sure be happy to know. HP
has a FAQ reply to this but it doesn't seem to do it for me.

MWR

Quote:> I have had a little 3-node Win2Kpeer-peer-peer home network for a year or
> so, using a Linksys hub/router to share files and DSL.  This was simple to
> set up, and has worked great since day 1.
> But I have never managed to get print sharing to work.  At first I thought
> it was just my old HP 722C Deskjet was just too old to be "network
capable",
> and I just waited for it to die.  Well, it did, and I bought an Epson C80.
> With the HP, the other workstations always seemed to get error messages
> about incorrect drivers.  Now, everything looks normal, but when they try
> print, nothing happens.  It's like they are printing to some "bit bucket".
> Am I forgetting something?   Is there more involved than just sharing the
> printer, and having the others attach to it?   Do we need to log on to a
> common domain or something?

printer sharing

Post by Mark » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:12:17

I have still not gotten my printer sharing to work.  All documentation I
have seen makes it seem so simple, so I must be doing something extremely
stupid.  It seems there must be a troubleshooting checklist, but I have not
been able to find one.
Again my situation:
    3 computers running Win2K peer-peer-peer.   Hub/router: Linksys BEFSR41.
    Epson C80 (formerly HP722C, which stopped printing yellow - but that is
another problem) attached to parallel port of one node.  Sharing turned on
for this printer.
    Other 2 machines can attach to this printer, and print without an error
message.  But nothing spits out on the printer.   Nothing appears on the
print queue.

So - my problem is not HP-related.

> I have the same problem getting a network PC (under WinME) to share an HP
> 950C printer. The drivers are made for USB or parallel connection only and
> will not install from the disk or network download. The same routine
worked
> just fine under Win98 so if there's a solution I'd sure be happy to know.
HP
> has a FAQ reply to this but it doesn't seem to do it for me.

> MWR

> > I have had a little 3-node Win2Kpeer-peer-peer home network for a year
or
> > so, using a Linksys hub/router to share files and DSL.  This was simple
> > set up, and has worked great since day 1.
> > But I have never managed to get print sharing to work.  At first I
thought
> > it was just my old HP 722C Deskjet was just too old to be "network
> capable",
> > and I just waited for it to die.  Well, it did, and I bought an Epson
C80.
> > With the HP, the other workstations always seemed to get error messages
> > about incorrect drivers.  Now, everything looks normal, but when they
try
> > print, nothing happens.  It's like they are printing to some "bit
bucket".
> > Am I forgetting something?   Is there more involved than just sharing
the
> > printer, and having the others attach to it?   Do we need to log on to a
> > common domain or something?

1. Deciding between WFW and Netware 4.1 for email, fax share, and printer sharing

I am upgrading our 10-user NetWare 3.12/WFW 3.11 network to 25-user
NetWare 4.1.  NetWare 4.1 offers Novell's FirstMail and what looks like
simpler print sharing.  Bundled with our copy of NetWare 4.1 was
Cheyenne's FaxServe.

I am going to compare the following:
Using Microsoft Mail under WFW vs. Novell FirstMail for office e-mail.
Using Microsoft Fax at Work vs. Cheyenne FAXserve for fax sharing.
Using NPrinter to share a Laser Printer at a workstation vs. Print
Manager.

Right now, we're using all of the MS products.  I'd like to see opinions
on comparing any of the above or options which are VASTLY better and not
much more expensive.

Thanks,

jon

2. GIMP for sgi

3. hard drive graft?

4. Printer Sharing and Cable sharing.

5. SAS 6.50 installation problems

6. IPSec Tunnel and File and Printer Sharing for MS Network

7. bind 9.2.1 and gss-tsig

8. Print Server/Printer Sharing

9. file and printer sharing with client32

10. NT Workstation Printer Sharing

11. Win95 printer sharing

12. File and Printer Sharing/Client 32