Home Phoneline Network and Cable modem

Post by Elsa Frohma » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:50:32

This concerns the computers I maintain for my parents at their house.
There are two computers -- one upstairs and one downstairs -- connected
through a Diamond Homefree 1Mbps home phoneline network. It worked just
fine up until yesterday.

Yesterday, we put in a cable modem on the upstairs computer. It's
connected through an ethernet card.

Instantly, my phoneline network stopped working. The computers can no
longer see one another on the network. I changed the workgroup name on

Map Network Drive turns up nothing... In My Network Places both
computers show themselves, but not the other.

Is the problem that you can't run two different network connectors on
the same computer?

The operating system is Win98.

Thanks

Post by Steve Bail » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 07:24:31

> This concerns the computers I maintain for my parents at their house.
> There are two computers -- one upstairs and one downstairs -- connected
> through a Diamond Homefree 1Mbps home phoneline network. It worked just
> fine up until yesterday.

> Yesterday, we put in a cable modem on the upstairs computer. It's
> connected through an ethernet card.

> Instantly, my phoneline network stopped working. The computers can no
> longer see one another on the network. I changed the workgroup name on
> the downstairs computer to match the new one on the upstairs computer

> Map Network Drive turns up nothing... In My Network Places both
> computers show themselves, but not the other.

> Is the problem that you can't run two different network connectors on
> the same computer?

> The operating system is Win98.

> Thanks

No, 2 network cards is OK.
Exactly the same thing happened to me.  The cable connection appeared
to disable the existing network connection.  The way I cured it was
just a lot of trial and error: I unplugged the cable to the modem and
then set about checking the properties of everything in Networks in
Control Panel (the cable modem connection appeared to have added a lot
of new properties to the TCP/IP protocol).  Once the network was up
and running again I then put the modem cable back in.  Then I
installed Internet Connection Sharing - the wizard did everything it
should and I then had two PCs able to access a broadband internet
connection.

1. cable to router to phoneline bridge to phoneline jack to phoneline nextwrok card, possible?

i have the routor set up and got the first computer to run off it with
cat 5 cable and nic card. now i want to allow comps in diiferent rooms
to hooked up to the router thru phone line and bridge. how do i set it
up and how di i configure the comps with the phone line network
card?TIA

david

2. Followup on space in imap user name

3. Home phoneline network within an ethernet network?

4. HELP: Lightning fries modem (twice!)

5. NEWBIE: How to network my cable modem with Phoneline to another room without internet sharing?

6. quant. noise white noise.

7. Phoneline Networking and Cable Modem

8. .forward file management

9. Cable Modem and Phoneline Network?!?!

10. problem with phoneline network. hpes03 phoneline bridge!