Best cheap peer-peer network?

Post by way.. » Thu, 16 Feb 1995 07:35:30

I have been elected to help support our church's two PC network,
currently running Lantastic.  Because the version of Lantastic
we are running is not particularly Windows smart or friendly, I
was wondering if W4W would be a better bet.  However, I don't
know if it will do the job.  We need peer-peer support for the
following:
 - Support for DOS applications,  Borland Pardox, Foxbase, and others.
   It would be nice not to have to run them in a DOS box, I'm worried
   about performance and compatibility.
 - Support for a soon to be added 286 PC, which probably won't be running
   Windows at all.
 - Support (of course) for Windows apps with full file sharing and print
   services.

Should we look at W4W?  Or just upgrade to a newer version of Lantastic?
Thanks,
Jim Wayner

Post by Ryan 'Gozar' Colli » Sat, 18 Feb 1995 23:48:48

>know if it will do the job.  We need peer-peer support for the
>following:
> - Support for DOS applications,  Borland Pardox, Foxbase, and others.
>   It would be nice not to have to run them in a DOS box, I'm worried
>   about performance and compatibility.

Not Sure.

Quote:> - Support for a soon to be added 286 PC, which probably won't be running
>   Windows at all.

You can download the DOS client from Microsoft. (mswg... something, I can look it up if you need it.)

Quote:> - Support (of course) for Windows apps with full file sharing and print
>   services.

No problem. I've heard that printer sharing is slow though. (Plus you can play hearts against each other!! :-)

Quote:>Should we look at W4W?  Or just upgrade to a newer version of Lantastic?

From examining this, W4W or Lantastic would fit the bill.  I guess you would have to look at prices, and make you decisions from there.

                    R y a n  'G o z a r'  C o l l i n s

living in the present"                                      -----------------

"What if your an Athiest who hates sex?" - Question asked in an Education class
                                         on teaching Abstinence in the schools.
 //\\//\\//\\//\\///\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

Post by Dan Hoehn » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 12:46:59

[...]

I have been using Little Big LAN now for about a month and it works
great.  I have a 486DX-40 running Windows 3.1 and two old IBM XT's
connected on the network using some ARCNet cards I had.  Both XT's can
access all drives on all pc's, including the cd-rom on the 486.  And,
obviously, the 486 can access all drives on both XT's.  And, this works
wether the 486 is running DOS or Windows 3.1.  Also, the 486's printer is
accessible by both XT's.

You said you were looking for a good cheap solution, so that's why I
mention LBL.  It costs $75 and that's it!  Whether you connect 2 pc's or
10, there is only the intial $75 cost.  It supports serial, parallel,
arcnet and ethernet connections, and you can even mix and match.

I can't say how well it will work with the app's you mentioned, as I only
use it to xfer files and to run a few DOS pgms on the XT's from a 486 drive.

Good luck.

--
Dan Hoehnen

He who dies with the most toys, wins!

1. Best way to add a file server to peer to peer network?

We have a 10 PC peer to peer network running a mixture of Windows 98 &
Windows 2000. We are thinking of adding a central file server to allow easy
& frequent backup of data. We do not intend running any application software
on the server, it would only be used as a file server.

Are there any alternatives to purchasing a dedicated server machine &
installing something like NT or Novell client/server software?

We have plenty 'old' PC's kicking about but they lack a bit in horsepower.
We are trying to avoid the cost of purchasing a new server & the cost of
buying a 10 licence NT package.

We do file share at the moment over the network but things are a little
slow.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Kenny Falconer

2. MDAC2.7 screwed

3. Best advice for simple peer to peer network

4. Epoc - Metro planner - does it exist?

5. Best Small Peer-to-Peer Network?

6. Need help deleting a bogus file

7. ISDN, simultaneous Win95 Dial-Up-Networking & local MS peer-peer networking

8. Uninstall then reinstall Netmeeting - problems.

9. Dialup Networking over a peer-peer network

10. Cheap LAN peer to peer software?

11. Adding DOS systems to w'95 peer-peer network...

12. How do you set-up a Win95.WFW3.11 Peer-Peer Network?

13. >> Win95 Peer-to-peer Network Linked with NT Network <<