How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Tony Langd » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

It's 21 Jul 97  05:58:06,

discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

 ma> I have set up a small home network with one WIN95 computer and my OS/2
 ma> Computer.
 ma> I set up NetBIOS as File and Print 'sharer'.

 ma> When ever I look at the files and directories on the WIN95 machine
 ma> from the OS2 machine I can only see the mangled file 8.3 names.

This is a common problem with OS/2 and Win95.  I'm led to believe it's
due to subtle protocol differences.

 ma> I would like to be able to see the WIN95 long filenames... Is there
 ma> anything I can do?

There may be a workaround, but I'm not familiar with any myself.  I just
live with the situation and stick to 8.3 filenames when using Win95
servers. :-)

Note that OS/2 doesn't have the same problem with NT  It sees the long
filenames there.

... AARRGGHH!! I've been subpoenaed to appear in Tagline Court!
--
|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by j.. » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

ONE COMMENT.
MY OPINION IS, NT SEES OS2 FILENAMES BECAUSE IT IS OS2 REWRITTEN TO
GET AROUND PATENTS.
TRY RUNNING AN OS2 PROGRAM IN NT!!
IT STARTS, THEN IN 2 SECONDS, HITS THE CODE, AND SHUTS DOWN.
JS

>It's 21 Jul 97  05:58:06,

>discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

> ma> I have set up a small home network with one WIN95 computer and my OS/2
> ma> Computer.
> ma> I set up NetBIOS as File and Print 'sharer'.

> ma> When ever I look at the files and directories on the WIN95 machine
> ma> from the OS2 machine I can only see the mangled file 8.3 names.

>This is a common problem with OS/2 and Win95.  I'm led to believe it's
>due to subtle protocol differences.

> ma> I would like to be able to see the WIN95 long filenames... Is there
> ma> anything I can do?

>There may be a workaround, but I'm not familiar with any myself.  I just
>live with the situation and stick to 8.3 filenames when using Win95
>servers. :-)

>Note that OS/2 doesn't have the same problem with NT  It sees the long
>filenames there.

>... AARRGGHH!! I've been subpoenaed to appear in Tagline Court!
>--
>|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

>| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Neil Zampel » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>ONE COMMENT.
:>MY OPINION IS, NT SEES OS2 FILENAMES BECAUSE IT IS OS2 REWRITTEN TO
:>GET AROUND PATENTS.
:>TRY RUNNING AN OS2 PROGRAM IN NT!!
:>IT STARTS, THEN IN 2 SECONDS, HITS THE CODE, AND SHUTS DOWN.
:>JS
:>

:>
:>>It's 21 Jul 97  05:58:06,

:>>discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?
:>>
[...]
:>>--
:>>|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

:>>|
:>>| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.
:>>
:>

First off ... please turn off your CAPS LOCK key .. you're no longer
on a 3270 terminal attached to a mainframe, and it looks like you're
SHOUTING.

Second, the reason OS/2 cannot see the Win95 'long file names' is
that Win95 uses a system to store these filenames that is
incompatable with OS/2, so all OS/2 can see is the 'normal' FAT 8.3
name.

NT 3.51 could read OS/2's and vice versa if both were setup as HPFS
partitions as NT 3.51 had support for HPFS.  FWIW .. Microsoft took
out HPFS support in v4.0, and NT can no longer recognize HPFS
partitions without resorting to an 'unsupported' kludge that copies
over various support files from NT 3.51.

Neil Zampella

Why do I use OS/2 ... because I like choice !!

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Mark S. Burgunde » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:>:>
:>:>>It's 21 Jul 97  05:58:06,

:>:>>discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?
:>:>>
[...]

Erm... OS/2 does not read the file structure on the WIN95 system. WIN95 is acting as
a peer server and therefore WIN95 is reading the file structure on the WIN95 side and
reporting it over the network to the OS/2 system.

I rather think there is one subtle setting in the network setup that either makes
WIN95 not report long file names or OS/2 not accept the long file names.

I fully understand why OS/2 on the same computer can't see the long file names on a
WIN95 partition.

Cheers
Mark

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Tony Langd » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

It's 24 Jul 97  11:55:26,

discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

 jo> ONE COMMENT.
 jo> MY OPINION IS, NT SEES OS2 FILENAMES BECAUSE IT IS OS2 REWRITTEN TO
 jo> GET AROUND PATENTS.
 jo> TRY RUNNING AN OS2 PROGRAM IN NT!!
 jo> IT STARTS, THEN IN 2 SECONDS, HITS THE CODE, AND SHUTS DOWN.
 jo> JS

32 bit OS/2 prorams don't run in NT at all.  I don't have enough 16 bit
ones to test the OS/2 support out with...   BTW, no need to shout. ;)

... We're all aliens, but from different planets
--
|Fidonet:  Tony Langdon 3:632/367.2

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Tony Langd » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

It's 24 Jul 97  15:46:02,

discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

 ne> Second, the reason OS/2 cannot see the Win95 'long file names' is
 ne> that Win95 uses a system to store these filenames that is
 ne> incompatable with OS/2, so all OS/2 can see is the 'normal' FAT 8.3
 ne> name.

This doesn't make sense.  Filesystem details should be irrelevant across
a network (except where filenames are impossible on the client
workstation, as in the case of a DOS client accessing a NT server with
long filenames).  The remote station doesn't know what filesystem you're
running (or shouldn't need to).

 ne> NT 3.51 could read OS/2's and vice versa if both were setup as HPFS
 ne> partitions as NT 3.51 had support for HPFS.  FWIW .. Microsoft took
 ne> out HPFS support in v4.0, and NT can no longer recognize HPFS
 ne> partitions without resorting to an 'unsupported' kludge that copies
 ne> over various support files from NT 3.51.

A kludge that does work well. :-)

 ne> Why do I use OS/2 ... because I like choice !!

:-)

... I have an OS/2 suit - It's multithreaded.
--

Post by Josep » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Second, the reason OS/2 cannot see the Win95 'long file names' is
> that Win95 uses a system to store these filenames that is
> incompatable with OS/2, so all OS/2 can see is the 'normal' FAT 8.3
> name.

Don't forget - Win95 is run on DOS7.0.  U have to start DOS before
Win95.  Since DOS use 8.3 format, long file name is just a trick instead
of a real file system.

Regards,
Joseph

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Dave Stubb » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

This thread is about Seeing Win95 ling filenames on an OS/2 computer
THROUGH A NETWORK.  This has absolutely nothing to do with how the files
are stored on the disk.  It has to do with what kind of filename
information Win95 sends through NetBIOS/SMB when OS/2 asks for a
directory.

I can see Win95 long filenames from a Linux machine running SMB over
TCPIP.  So it has something to do with either:

a) how OS/2 is reporting it's OS type in Peer to peer connections, or
b) how Win95 is (intentionally?) responding when it knows OS/2 is
asking...

Dave...

> > Second, the reason OS/2 cannot see the Win95 'long file names' is
> > that Win95 uses a system to store these filenames that is
> > incompatable with OS/2, so all OS/2 can see is the 'normal' FAT 8.3
> > name.

> Don't forget - Win95 is run on DOS7.0.  U have to start DOS before
> Win95.  Since DOS use 8.3 format, long file name is just a trick
> instead
> of a real file system.

> Regards,
> Joseph

This Message was from Dave Stubbs

home page: www.dfc.com/dstubbs.htm

Consultant at DFC International Ltd.
  "Computer Solutions... Simplified."

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Tony Langd » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 02 Aug 97  23:51:14,

discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

 ds> I can see Win95 long filenames from a Linux machine running SMB over
 ds> TCPIP.  So it has something to do with either:

 ds> a) how OS/2 is reporting it's OS type in Peer to peer connections, or
 ds> b) how Win95 is (intentionally?) responding when it knows OS/2 is
 ds> asking...

It's a well known problem between Win95 and OS/2.  It happens here too.
I'm not sure if there's a cure, but one explanation I've heard
(#INCLUDE <std_disclaimer.h>) is that it's due to slightly different SMB
implementations in the 2 operating systems.

... I'm in here for being crazy, not stupid.
--

Post by Dave Stubb » Sun, 03 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> It's 02 Aug 97  23:51:14,

> discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and
> Warp V4?

>  ds> I can see Win95 long filenames from a Linux machine running SMB
> over
>  ds> TCPIP.  So it has something to do with either:

>  ds> a) how OS/2 is reporting it's OS type in Peer to peer
> connections, or
>  ds> b) how Win95 is (intentionally?) responding when it knows OS/2 is

>  ds> asking...

> It's a well known problem between Win95 and OS/2.  It happens here
> too.
> I'm not sure if there's a cure, but one explanation I've heard
> (#INCLUDE <std_disclaimer.h>) is that it's due to slightly different
> SMB
> implementations in the 2 operating systems.

  Nothing would surprise me less.  Does anyone know what is the best
OS/2 techie headquarters on the internet - sort of a suggestion box type
of place where we could cajole some really smart people into making a
fix or getting instructions on how to make a fix ourselves?

Dave...

This Message was from Dave Stubbs

home page: www.dfc.com/dstubbs.htm

Consultant at DFC International Ltd.
  "Computer Solutions... Simplified."

How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

Post by Tony Langd » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It's 03 Aug 97  19:20:06,

discussion of How to see long file names: Peer-2-Peer with WIN95 and Warp V4?

 ds> Nothing would surprise me less.  Does anyone know what is the best
 ds> OS/2 techie headquarters on the internet - sort of a suggestion box
 ds> type of place where we could cajole some really smart people into
 ds> making a fix or getting instructions on how to make a fix ourselves?

I can't help you there, but if you do find a good place, please let me
know.

... 486/50 + WINdoze = Maserati with the parking brake on.