Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Post by Anne P. Mitchell Young, Es » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I hope that I am posting this question in the right place - please let me know
if there is a better place to which to post it!

We are running a WinGate proxy server - we have 3 to 4 computers accessing the
net through the one modem on the server at any given time.

We are thinking of getting DSL, but want to be sure that it will still work
the same as it does now with the modem on the net.

I called PacBell, and of course they told me that it won't work, and that we
had to purchase an expanded (and *much* more expensive) plan to do that.  But
her explanation didn't really make sense.  She said that was because we had to
pay for each additional IP address.  Now, of course, our additional computers
don't *need* external IP addresses (or do they?  Is the nature of DSL that
different that it changes everything?)  They have internal IP addresses, of
course (192.168.0.*).  The desktop server machine dials out to our ISP, and
gets a dynamic IP address, and then our client machines hit the internet
through the server machine via the proxy server/client software.

So my question is, is she right?  Will we not be able to do this with DSL and
basically just swap the DSL connection/"modem" for our current 56k modem on
the server?

If that _is_ correct, does anybody have an opinion for which is the most
cost effective high speed solution for bringing a small (4 machine) home LAN
onto the net?

Thanks!

Anne
William - 4/11/98
Jessica - 8/28/78

For Articles/Resources on intuitive parenting, *feeding, co-sleeping, etc.:
                           http://www.veryComputer.com/
I am: mom, Attorney, Prof., Advocate for Fathers, Lactation Advisor (in training)
                           http://www.veryComputer.com/

Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Post by oska » Tue, 11 Apr 2000 04:00:00

don't listen to them!   U can just use one account to access the internet
with dsl..........although i can't help but wonder if u have cable internet
access out there.  I would go with that instead, too many people in
newsgroups have had bad experiences with dsl service.....    Before u sign
up for service with any dsl company, PLEASE do your research on them.   A
lot of people out there have horror stories about the service they've had to
deal with from dsl companies.    Look into newsgroups like comp.dcom.xdsl or
try web sites like dsl.reports and see what they have to say about your
area.
I think u already have everything u need as far as software.   The wingate
proxy i think acts like a NAT, so it should work just fine.

hope this helps,
oskar

Quote:> I hope that I am posting this question in the right place - please let me
know
> if there is a better place to which to post it!

> We are running a WinGate proxy server - we have 3 to 4 computers accessing
the
> net through the one modem on the server at any given time.

> We are thinking of getting DSL, but want to be sure that it will still
work
> the same as it does now with the modem on the net.

> I called PacBell, and of course they told me that it won't work, and that
we
> had to purchase an expanded (and *much* more expensive) plan to do that.
But
> her explanation didn't really make sense.  She said that was because we
had to
> pay for each additional IP address.  Now, of course, our additional
computers
> don't *need* external IP addresses (or do they?  Is the nature of DSL that
> different that it changes everything?)  They have internal IP addresses,
of
> course (192.168.0.*).  The desktop server machine dials out to our ISP,
and
> gets a dynamic IP address, and then our client machines hit the internet
> through the server machine via the proxy server/client software.

> So my question is, is she right?  Will we not be able to do this with DSL
and
> basically just swap the DSL connection/"modem" for our current 56k modem
on
> the server?

> If that _is_ correct, does anybody have an opinion for which is the most
> cost effective high speed solution for bringing a small (4 machine) home
LAN
> onto the net?

> Thanks!

> Anne
> William - 4/11/98
> Jessica - 8/28/78

> For Articles/Resources on intuitive parenting, *feeding, co-sleeping,
etc.:
>                            http://www.veryComputer.com/
> I am: mom, Attorney, Prof., Advocate for Fathers, Lactation Advisor (in
training)
>                            http://www.veryComputer.com/

Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Post by Donald Helle » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Don't listen to him!  Don't use a proxy server, don't use a router.  Get a
switching hub as your interface.  Then you don't need to have a server
up to provide for your parasites, and they are invisible.

Don

> [...]

> > basically just swap the DSL connection/"modem" for our current 56k modem
> on
> > the server?

> > If that _is_ correct, does anybody have an opinion for which is the most
> > cost effective high speed solution for bringing a small (4 machine) home
> LAN
> > onto the net?

> > Thanks!

> > Anne
> > William - 4/11/98
> > Jessica - 8/28/78

> > For Articles/Resources on intuitive parenting, *feeding, co-sleeping,
> etc.:
> >                            http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > I am: mom, Attorney, Prof., Advocate for Fathers, Lactation Advisor (in
> training)
> >                            http://www.veryComputer.com/

Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Post by NoS.. » Sat, 15 Apr 2000 04:00:00

[Posted & Mailed]

 > Newsgroups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,
 >             comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,
 >             comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip
 >
 > I hope that I am posting this question in the right place - please let me

 > know  if there is a better place to which to post it!

    [snip]

Any ONE of the above would have done fine.

 > We are running a WinGate proxy server - we have 3 to 4 computers
 > accessing the net through the one modem on the server at any given time.
 >
 > We are thinking of getting DSL, but want to be sure that it will still
 > work the same as it does now with the modem on the net.

    [snip]

You'll need to change some settings in your application programs (E-Mail,
newsreader, etc. -- and WinGate itself) to reflect the "always connected"
status of DSL and for the new service provider; but this should not be a
problem.

 > I called PacBell, and of course they told me that it won't work, and that

 > we had to purchase an expanded (and *much* more expensive) plan to do
 > that.  But her explanation didn't really make sense.  She said that was
 > because we had to pay for each additional IP address.
    [snip]

 > So my question is, is she right?  Will we not be able to do this with DSL

 > and basically just swap the DSL connection/"modem" for our current 56k
 > modem on the server?

    [snip]

From a techical point of view, she is dead wrong -- no two ways about it.

HOWEVER...  There _may_ be a contractual issue involved, as well.  As you
noted, PacBell wants to sell you a separate IP address for each workstation
what will access the 'net through their service.  So it is entirely possible
that there is something in the TOS agreement for their single-IP service
that prohibits you from using a NAT gateway to leverage multiple
workstations onto a single external IP.

My personal take on this is that all you're buying from them is a "pipe", of
a certain size and with certain properties; what you connect to your end of
that pipe is your business, and ONLY your business, as long as you're not
abusing the 'net as a whole in the process.  The plain fact of the matter
is, it _cannot_ be credibly shown that the bandwidth (or other resources of
the service provider) used is even roughly proportional to the number of
customer-side workstations in use -- just one kid downloading bootleg MP3s
all day/night will more than swamp the aggregate bandwidth of even a dozen
or more avid (but putatively "normal") mail/news/web users.  Further, due to
the security issues involved, I would not even consider using DSL or "cable
modem" _without_ NAT (or better) in place, period.

Bottom Line:  In all probability, the reason you got the answer you did was
simple cluelessness on the part of the sales droid (and, probably, PacBell
itself -- at least most of the Baby Bells are woefully inept and generally
"behind the curve" with regard to the Internet in general, let alone the
more "advanced" technical issues).  But if, especially given your
profession, you want to be on the safe side, I suggest that you download the
TOS en toto, and read it carefully.  Then make your own decision.

-- Jay T. Blocksom
   ----------------------------
   Appropriate Technology, Inc.
   approtek[at]rcn.com

NOTE: E-Mail address in "From:" line is INVALID!  Use address in signature.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this E-Mail address is expressly prohibited
under USC Title 47, Section 227.  Violators are subject to charge of up to
$1,500 per incident or treble actual costs, whichever is greater.

Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Post by Harve » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

To answer your original question: What you propse is fine, the DSL modem
will act like your old analog one. Wingate is OK with DSL.
Using hub with mulitple functions would be better (Linksys has a good one).
Simpler for you and very safe.
Harvey

> [...]

> > and
> > > basically just swap the DSL connection/"modem" for our current 56k
modem
> > on
> > > the server?

> > > If that _is_ correct, does anybody have an opinion for which is the
most
> > > cost effective high speed solution for bringing a small (4 machine)
home
> > LAN
> > > onto the net?

> > > Thanks!

> > > Anne
> > > William - 4/11/98
> > > Jessica - 8/28/78

> > > For Articles/Resources on intuitive parenting, *feeding,
co-sleeping,
> > etc.:
> > >                            http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > > I am: mom, Attorney, Prof., Advocate for Fathers, Lactation Advisor

1. Will Proxy Server (WinGate) work over PacBell's Single DSL connection?

Hi,

Once the link is established, your computer shouldn't care where
the connectivity comes from.

WinGate should find the DSL line and work with it the same as it
does with a modem line.

Install the DSL to your 'desktop server machine'.  Don't even
mention the others to PacBell.

Gary.

PS:  She's wrong, you're right, it's a "swap".

2. Epson Laser Technologies

3. Does PacBell's PPPoE work w/ NT Proxy Server for sharing?

4. many replies

5. Which Proxy Server (Wingate, CSM Proxy or Winproxy)

6. where is dosynctodr

7. Wingate 4.4.2 doesn't work in Windows 2000 Advance Server

8. Disable error mailer?

9. Configuring WinGate to work with ISP Proxy

10. How many dsl isp's cap their news servers --- Pacbell does

11. Tweaking dsl connection using proxy server

12. ms proxy server 2 vs wingate

13. Setting up internet proxy server using wingate