networking two computers, want to use laptop in two locations in my house

networking two computers, want to use laptop in two locations in my house

Post by Vi » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 15:41:20

Hello, I am trying a couple of things to connect my laptop
and desktop together in the following fashion.
I have cable internet, a motorola cable modem which has
both an ethernet port and an usb port.
My desktop has two NICs, there are two places in my home
where I will be using my laptop.   I have run cross-
connects to both locations and can connect to my desktop
and to the internet just fine when I use NIC one for the
cable modem connection and NIC two for the cross connect
to my laptop.
What I would like to do is use the usb connection to my
modem, and connect a cross connect to both NICs such that
I can just plug into my laptop's NIC and have connectivity
at either location.
Is this possible?  Having tried it once and failed, I
think I need some help.
Thank You,
 Victor

networking two computers, want to use laptop in two locations in my house

Post by DaWa » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:20:12

Why don't you just have a home network where you can connect to your desktop
from you laptop (back and forth) and connect to the internet at the same
time!

===============================
DaWaN

Quote:> Hello, I am trying a couple of things to connect my laptop
> and desktop together in the following fashion.
> I have cable internet, a motorola cable modem which has
> both an ethernet port and an usb port.
> My desktop has two NICs, there are two places in my home
> where I will be using my laptop.   I have run cross-
> connects to both locations and can connect to my desktop
> and to the internet just fine when I use NIC one for the
> cable modem connection and NIC two for the cross connect
> to my laptop.
> What I would like to do is use the usb connection to my
> modem, and connect a cross connect to both NICs such that
> I can just plug into my laptop's NIC and have connectivity
> at either location.
> Is this possible?  Having tried it once and failed, I
> think I need some help.
> Thank You,
>  Victor

1. Racel-Milgo, INS and Teltone info? (Second Posting)

        Greetings,
                   I am interested in information for the following equip:

        Racel-Milgo Com-Link III
        Model# 4404-85A and 4404-85C

 Please reply via E-mail if possible since my newsfeed might miss the
 follow-up posts, thank you.

                                                Steve Urich
                                                WB3FTP

----------

        Racal Milgo 1-800-RACAL55  (1-800-722-2555)

2. Anyone know where I can pick up a old CR11 card reader?

3. Using two modems on two lines on the same computer

4. php - mysql connection

5. Computer Break-Ins: Your Right to Know

6. Looking for a Mac Compatible 600dpi printer

7. Where are the specs for .ins files used to configure Internet and Mail?

8. OS 9.1 monitor control panel

9. Connecting two computers together using WIN95 dial-up networking.

10. Two computer network using the BEFSR41

11. Networking ADSL using two computers--Help!

12. Newbie wants to connect two computers to school network

13. networking two computers without using hub