Win NT & Win 9x can't access share on Win 2000 server (error 53)

Win NT & Win 9x can't access share on Win 2000 server (error 53)

Post by carlos seram » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 00:03:05

I have two Windows 2000 member servers running on a mixed mode Windows
2000 domain. We have both Windows 2000, XP, Win 9X, and Windows NT
client systems running on our network. The two Windows 2000 file
servers (both member servers) are accessed by all sorts of clients.
From what I can tell both systems are setup identically (though there
must be something different). The problem is that Win 9x and Window NT
systems cannot map directories on one of the servers while they can
map directories on the other server.

If a Win 9X or Win NT client system tries to map a share on the system
using the IP address it can map it just fine. However if they attempt
to map the server using the SYSTEM name I get the following error:

"error 53: the computer name specificed in the network path cannon be
located. Make sure you are specifiying the computer name correctly, or
try again later when the remove computer is available."

Windows 2000 systems have no problem accessing this particular
computer. Do you have any idea what may be the cause of this.

Win NT & Win 9x can't access share on Win 2000 server (error 53)

Post by Raphael Norber » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 00:30:58

what happens if you try to ping the system name?  if its not seeing it by
name, check your wins server.

Quote:> I have two Windows 2000 member servers running on a mixed mode Windows

Post by diamondDa » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 00:21:08

Quote:> I have two Windows 2000 member servers running on a mixed mode Windows
> 2000 domain. We have both Windows 2000, XP, Win 9X, and Windows NT
> client systems running on our network. The two Windows 2000 file
> servers (both member servers) are accessed by all sorts of clients.
> From what I can tell both systems are setup identically (though there
> must be something different). The problem is that Win 9x and Window NT
> systems cannot map directories on one of the servers while they can
> map directories on the other server.

> If a Win 9X or Win NT client system tries to map a share on the system
> using the IP address it can map it just fine. However if they attempt
> to map the server using the SYSTEM name I get the following error:

> "error 53: the computer name specificed in the network path cannon be
> located. Make sure you are specifiying the computer name correctly, or
> try again later when the remove computer is available."

> Windows 2000 systems have no problem accessing this particular
> computer. Do you have any idea what may be the cause of this.

You are getting a conflict between DNS and WINS. Windows NT and 9x clients
use WINS for name resolution, but Windows 2000 and newer use DNS. Since you
can ping by IP address then it is not a network connectivity error or a DHCP
error. Since you cannot reach the server using the DNS name, then it is a
name resolution issue. Make sure you enable DNS updates for clients that do
not support dynamic updates, this should solve your name resolution
problems. For more information, check out this knowledgebase article link:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228803

Post by carlos seram » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:06:06

> > I have two Windows 2000 member servers running on a mixed mode Windows
> > 2000 domain. We have both Windows 2000, XP, Win 9X, and Windows NT
> > client systems running on our network. The two Windows 2000 file
> > servers (both member servers) are accessed by all sorts of clients.
> > From what I can tell both systems are setup identically (though there
> > must be something different). The problem is that Win 9x and Window NT
> > systems cannot map directories on one of the servers while they can
> > map directories on the other server.

> > If a Win 9X or Win NT client system tries to map a share on the system
> > using the IP address it can map it just fine. However if they attempt
> > to map the server using the SYSTEM name I get the following error:

> > "error 53: the computer name specificed in the network path cannon be
> > located. Make sure you are specifiying the computer name correctly, or
> > try again later when the remove computer is available."

> > Windows 2000 systems have no problem accessing this particular
> > computer. Do you have any idea what may be the cause of this.

> You are getting a conflict between DNS and WINS. Windows NT and 9x clients
> use WINS for name resolution, but Windows 2000 and newer use DNS. Since you
> can ping by IP address then it is not a network connectivity error or a DHCP
> error. Since you cannot reach the server using the DNS name, then it is a
> name resolution issue. Make sure you enable DNS updates for clients that do
> not support dynamic updates, this should solve your name resolution
> problems. For more information, check out this knowledgebase article link:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q228803

Yep. You hit the answer right on the head.

Thanks for your help!

It was WINS. The server was running DHCP for a short period of time.
There was some bogus information regarding that server on our WINS
server. Even though DNS had the correct IP address for the server and
it would resolve to the right address when you pinged it. When Win9x
and NT systems tried to map drives they couldn't see the server. They
could ping them but the bogus wins information wouldn't let them map
drives.

Win NT & Win 9x can't access share on Win 2000 server (error 53)

Post by carlos seram » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:08:04

The PING resolved properly because the DNS server had the right
address. However you couldn't map the drive because of the bogus WINS
info.

This only happened on WIN 9x and NT. 2000 and XP systems could see the
server fine.

> what happens if you try to ping the system name?  if its not seeing it by
> name, check your wins server.

> > I have two Windows 2000 member servers running on a mixed mode Windows
> > 2000 domain. We have both Windows 2000, XP, Win 9X, and Windows NT
> > client systems running on our network. The two Windows 2000 file
> > servers (both member servers) are accessed by all sorts of clients.
> > From what I can tell both systems are setup identically (though there
> > must be something different). The problem is that Win 9x and Window NT
> > systems cannot map directories on one of the servers while they can
> > map directories on the other server.

> > If a Win 9X or Win NT client system tries to map a share on the system
> > using the IP address it can map it just fine. However if they attempt
> > to map the server using the SYSTEM name I get the following error:

> > "error 53: the computer name specificed in the network path cannon be
> > located. Make sure you are specifiying the computer name correctly, or
> > try again later when the remove computer is available."

> > Windows 2000 systems have no problem accessing this particular
> > computer. Do you have any idea what may be the cause of this.

Win NT & Win 9x can't access share on Win 2000 server (error 53)

Post by diamondDa » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:30:40

Quote:> Yep. You hit the answer right on the head.

> Thanks for your help!

No problem, glad to offer assistance.

1. Win 98 user accessing share on Win 2000 server via VPN (domain/user problem)

Hi,

Got a setup where users connect to our Windows 2000 server via a VPN.
This works fine and all users are able to get a connection.

Problem is that when one of the users tries to use a share on the Win
2000 server it asks him for his user name and password again. Then it
seems to fail.

Looking at the log it appears that the Win 2000 thinks this user (win
98 BTW) is from a different domain (i.e bbb/user1 is not a local user)
and rejects it.

Any ideas ?

Where in Win 98 are all the setting that identify the computers
workgroup/domain? (I'm sure its a left over setting from a previous
use).

2. Pro*C question

3. Win XP / Win 2000 File Sharing

4. Getting adresses out of notes and into outlook

5. win 2000 box internet connection sharing to a win 98se box

6. DCD Indicator on TelePort Gold: How to Reset?

7. Win 2000 NDIS WAN CAPI driver won't install

8. FS: Wavetable sound card

9. direct cable connection Win NT <-> Win 2000 using LPT1 or UTP network cable

10. Win 2000 - Win 98: Network 2 PC's

11. Copying files Win NT to Win 2000

12. Win 2000 versus Win NT

13. NMAP is now available for Win NT and Win 2000